Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
(2020-10-13, 23:41)foxbat121 Wrote: [ -> ]On these AMLogic based boxes, you only get a single resolution and refresh rate in the white list. (...)
Auto Frame Rate Switching works on both Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and Xiaomi Mi Box S (MDZ-22-AB) ...

(2020-10-14, 01:29)DoctorBR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-13, 23:41)foxbat121 Wrote: [ -> ]On these AMLogic based boxes, you only get a single resolution and refresh rate in the white list. (...)
Auto Frame Rate Switching works on both Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and Xiaomi Mi Box S (MDZ-22-AB) ...

both my Verizon Stream TV and CCTGV show a single resolution and refresh rate, 1080p59
(2020-10-14, 01:38)foxbat121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-14, 01:29)DoctorBR Wrote: [ -> ]

both my Verizon Stream TV and CCTGV show a single resolution and refresh rate, 1080p59
That's bad for you - but has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the state of Refresh-Rate switching in kodi in general and on Android especially. FireTV 4K, FireTV Cube supports Refreshrate and resolution switching and you get a long list of resolutions in kodi. I have no idea why you generalize your statements, while choosing to non-state-of-the-art boxes to prove your assumption ... it makes no sense.

Refreshrate switching works on every device that implements the official Android API to do so - and guess what - kodi will then work with those devices. There is not a single Shield specific code line in kodi.
(2020-10-08, 20:05)Damien67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-07, 19:34)droidkid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-07, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The easiest way to Share files from a Windows / Linux / Mac / NAS file server setup to Kodi is using Zeroconf, see here to see how that is done
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2971806

And if your file server supports it use NFS instead of SMB due to less network overheads and it consequently being faster.

Interesting I just built a file server with OpenMediaVault on my Raspberry Pi but I setup an SMB share maybe I'll give NFS a shot, In the past I've always used SMB shares so this is new to me.

No issue for me with SMB...
As with any new Kodi install, I drop my advancedsettings.xml, Mediasources.xml and sources.xml into the userdata folder, close/re-open Kodi, and that's it. Instantly connected to my SQL databases and everything plays without an issue. As a matter of fact, I couldn't use X-plore to connect my SMB shares to get to those files, so I used Kodi's file manager, added my SMB server's info, and could copy paste those files directly from the share to the userdata folder. Not sure why others are bashing Google not supporting this.
Also, as a FYI, my samba server is ran in a docker container (https://github.com/dperson/samba) in a Debian server.

As for my first thoughts on the CCWGTV, which I bought to stop using Visio's Smartcast platform on a P65-F1 (slow), to take advantage of my receiver's capabilities that can't go through HDMI 2.0 ARC (no ATMOS for example), and to not need a PC for Kodi alone:

- The name absolutely sucks. Googling anything gives tons of Chromecast results...have to filter "last week" to get relevant results. Google's marketing employee who signed off on this should be fired
- Device is pretty snappy!
- Apps available in the play store like any other Android device. Those that aren't can be sideloaded easily
- Kodi works very well, 1080p / 4k content without issue
- Main audio formats worked (DTS, DTS-MA, DD), but Dolby HD and AAC come as PCM stereo (tried both 18.8 and 19.0Alpha2)
- No problem with Netflix / Amazon Prime / Youtube
- I always had ambilights connected via serial (ESP8266 w/ WLED) to PC...I successfully got is working installing Hyperion in my server and installing Hyperion Android Grabber. Works OK with 1080p content, 4K is no go. One frame per 2 seconds...I guess too CPU demanding

Overall I am very pleased so far.
I do also have a ShieldTV (2015) in my living room, for a quarter the price Google got us a nice little device!

Thanks for the info! Side bar question on your file server. I set mine up with SMB and people are telling me NFS is better. I'm guessing you have had this setup for a while do you see any benefit with starting with NFS?
(2020-10-14, 21:25)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-14, 01:29)DoctorBR Wrote: [ -> ]Auto Frame Rate Switching works on both Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and Xiaomi Mi Box S (MDZ-22-AB) ...

That's bad for you - but has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the state of Refresh-Rate switching in kodi in general and on Android especially. FireTV 4K, FireTV Cube supports Refreshrate and resolution switching and you get a long list of resolutions in kodi. I have no idea why you generalize your statements, while choosing to non-state-of-the-art boxes to prove your assumption ... it makes no sense.

Refreshrate switching works on every device that implements the official Android API to do so - and guess what - kodi will then work with those devices. There is not a single Shield specific code line in kodi.
So you are saying Google's own box is not official Android box ? Both boxes I mentioned are official Google certified Android TV devices. Or is Kodi relying on some old API that Google no longer supports?
Quote:The name absolutely sucks

Its Google - their naming and branding is terrible. 

Google Talk. Google Voice. Hangouts. Meet. Chat. Allo. Duo. Meet for Teams
Google Tv. AndroidTv. Back to GoogleTv

it goes on an on for every product segment. I'd not be surprised if in 2 years we have yet another name for the new Chromecast.
(2020-10-14, 21:25)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-14, 01:29)DoctorBR Wrote: [ -> ]Auto Frame Rate Switching works on both Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) and Xiaomi Mi Box S (MDZ-22-AB) ...

To be clear, I'm not saying that Kodi can't do refresh rate switching. But the core issue here seems to be that for some reason Kodi can't get a list of supported resolutions and refresh rates out of this latest offerings from Google itself. My question is simply why is that?
Because they did not implement it, as they see no value and no reason in it?

Chromecast is the best example, that even THE company who created all these APIs and created Android does not fully implement the available features. Bad for the end-user, that's it.

The API exists and is officially documented, if a vendor (be it google or whomever) decides they don't want to implement it, then it's not there. Easy as that. Having this API is not mandatory for an android box in general, but it's a mandatory requirement if you want refreshrate switching to properly work on Android with standard apps.

Most likely they will add it with some update if people complain loud enough. Why not writing them an E-Mail. Tell them about your two broken boxes and that you had hoped that someone would do it right ...
A better question is why does GTV ship with Android 10 when 11 is already out. And the answer to that is this hardware (and its sw) is already outdated by a year - Sabrina was supposed to ship last year. 

Google isn't known for timely software updates and the people who are affected, i.e. enthusiasts who care about such things, are a segment Google can and will ignore.

I expect GTV2 next year will contain any fixes if they intend to fix any of these issues.
(2020-10-15, 06:12)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Because they did not implement it, as they see no value and no reason in it?

Chromecast is the best example, that even THE company who created all these APIs and created Android does not fully implement the available features. Bad for the end-user, that's it.

The API exists and is officially documented, if a vendor (be it google or whomever) decides they don't want to implement it, then it's not there. Easy as that. Having this API is not mandatory for an android box in general, but it's a mandatory requirement if you want refreshrate switching to properly work on Android with standard apps.

Most likely they will add it with some update if people complain loud enough. Why not writing them an E-Mail. Tell them about your two broken boxes and that you had hoped that someone would do it right ...

I know Android 11 comes with new API that let apps to request the preferred  refresh rate and the system decides if it is possible to do so based on many factors. I wonder if Kodi will adapt to that new API instead of current way of enumerating all possible resolutions and refresh rates, white list it, then actively switch to the matching refresh rate?
(2020-10-15, 06:27)MrCrispy Wrote: [ -> ]A better question is why does GTV ship with Android 10 when 11 is already out. And the answer to that is this hardware (and its sw) is already outdated by a year - Sabrina was supposed to ship last year. 

Google isn't known for timely software updates and the people who are affected, i.e. enthusiasts who care about such things, are a segment Google can and will ignore.

I expect GTV2 next year will contain any fixes if they intend to fix any of these issues.
Yeah, that baffles me too. But given Android TV 11 is only officially released a week before GTV release, it is no surprise. Google actually never announced any Android TV 10 release at all. There is 9 and then 11. This box is the only one that carries 10. Given that Google acknowledged that its Stadia service won't even currently work on this box until early next year, I assume that we will see Android TV 11 update by then as well.
Does 24p content stutter on 60 fps or is that possible in kodi, even if the API on the device is not properly implemented. How is 24p (23.976) content handled by kodi if the refresh rate is fixed at 50/60? 
Will it skip frames, because 60 is obviously not being divided by 24 (23.976)? 

On older devices I had the problem, that 24p content always was stuttering when refresh rate was set to 50/60. 
It was on some CoreELEC devices as well.
(2020-10-15, 15:11)foxbat121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-15, 06:12)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Because they did not implement it, as they see no value and no reason in it?

I know Android 11 comes with new API that let apps to request the preferred  refresh rate and the system decides if it is possible to do so based on many factors. I wonder if Kodi will adapt to that new API instead of current way of enumerating all possible resolutions and refresh rates, white list it, then actively switch to the matching refresh rate?

On my Shield and FireTV Stick, I don't need to white list anything. Matching refresh rate just works.
Because by default all enumerated resolutions and refresh rates are whitelisted by default. You can check that white list.
(2020-10-15, 16:42)lama0900 Wrote: [ -> ]Does 24p content stutter on 60 fps or is that possible in kodi, even if the API on the device is not properly implemented. How is 24p (23.976) content handled by kodi if the refresh rate is fixed at 50/60? 
Will it skip frames, because 60 is obviously not being divided by 24 (23.976)? 

On older devices I had the problem, that 24p content always was stuttering when refresh rate was set to 50/60. 
It was on some CoreELEC devices as well.

You'll get something a bit like 3:2 (or actually 3:2) when you play 24fps content at 60fps. When you play it at 25fps you'll probably get a repeated frame every second (which will be far more obvious). At 50fps I'm not sure what the cadence is likely to be - it might be similar or slightly less obvious.

You CAN manually select 4K 24Hz as an output resolution in the Chromecast with Google TV - so if you mainly watch 24fps movies (Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray rips), US Netflix and Amazon shows etc. you'll be OK - it's the boring requirement to switch back to 4K 50Hz for European/Aus/NZ etc. TV content (and 50Hz movie DVDs) that's really tedious
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38