Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
(2020-12-16, 20:25)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]6. But 4k 10bit h265 decoding was 'broken' (very slow rendering (1-2 frame per sec or slower) with lot more banding than I got with 8bit streams and also lot more than I got with alternate method (below))

Could anybody help me, what I do wrong?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

Be aware, high bitrate 4K content playback like a Bluray Rips / Remuxes really needs a Gigabit Ethernet adapter for - reliable - video playback. WiFi the majority of the time simply is not good enough.

Then you also have this underlying issue with the CCGTV dongle that affects some users:

Quote:This CCGTV WiFi & Network stability / connectivity issue must now be featured as a pre purchase Buyer Beware warning:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/th...3526?hl=en
Is the 8-bit 4K version much lower bitrate?  If not, then bitrate is not the reason for the 10-bit 4K failing.  If 10-bit 4K HDR plays back in other streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc.), then it's probably also not an OS or hardware limitation.
But without a Debug Log - it's hard to help. I might have a reason to plug mine in after amazon made great firmware fucking the last week Tongue
(2020-12-19, 04:10)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-16, 20:25)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]6. But 4k 10bit h265 decoding was 'broken' (very slow rendering (1-2 frame per sec or slower) with lot more banding than I got with 8bit streams and also lot more than I got with alternate method (below))

Could anybody help me, what I do wrong?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

Be aware, high bitrate 4K content playback like a Bluray Rips / Remuxes really needs a Gigabit Ethernet adapter for - reliable - video playback. WiFi the majority of the time simply is not good enough.

Then you also have this underlying issue with the CCGTV dongle that affects some users:
Quote:This CCGTV WiFi & Network stability / connectivity issue must now be featured as a pre purchase Buyer Beware warning:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/th...3526?hl=en
Thanks for the warning, but if through casting the result is fine there should be not any network problem. Of course it could be possible, but for me the result not just stuttering A/V but also overloaded Chromecast, as I can hardly stop the corresponding playback. But I will keep in mind this also.
(2020-12-19, 14:32)wizziwig Wrote: [ -> ]Is the 8-bit 4K version much lower bitrate?  If not, then bitrate is not the reason for the 10-bit 4K failing.  If 10-bit 4K HDR plays back in other streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc.), then it's probably also not an OS or hardware limitation.
Now I have no time to check the bitrate but the 8bit file is 4GB, the 10bit is 5GB. Both of them is exactly the same ~50 minutes video. So from these data, approx.:
  • (4×1024×1024×1024×8)÷50÷60÷1024÷1024=10.92Mb/s
  • (5×1024×1024×1024×8)÷50÷60÷1024÷1024=13.65Mb/s
Not so high, in my opinion. Neither the overall, nor the difference.
(2020-12-19, 15:58)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]But without a Debug Log - it's hard to help. I might have a reason to plug mine in after amazon made great firmware fucking the last week Tongue

This is absolutely true!!! My question was just theoretical yet, to make myself sure that my result is just my problem or a general one. If a general one I will leave it itself. If seems that is only my problem then I will start to debug it!
(2020-11-25, 10:11)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-25, 07:35)bibbyboi Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and I didn't come up with anything. I can't get kodi to have a 4k resolution in the Kodi system display settings and I have a 4k tv. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

For some reason the reported settings to Kodi from the Android TV OS are always 1080p60 I think.  However the system settings do seem to apply in frame rate terms (i.e. if you set the OS to 50Hz and play a 50Hz video you get 50Hz playback, even though Kodi reports the resolution as 60Hz). I've not tested whether the same is true for resolution by using a 4K test pattern with a sensible multi burst or similar resolution test yet.

Does this issue mean 4k mkv played back in Kodi will be downscaled to 1080p?
(2020-12-20, 15:25)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-19, 15:58)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]But without a Debug Log - it's hard to help. I might have a reason to plug mine in after amazon made great firmware fucking the last week Tongue

This is absolutely true!!! My question was just theoretical yet, to make myself sure that my result is just my problem or a general one. If a general one I will leave it itself. If seems that is only my problem then I will start to debug it!
You are definitely not alone.  Another user reported the same thing where 4K SDR worked fine and 4K HDR didn't.  Check this post and their earlier comments in the thread.  Presuming 4K HDR works in other streaming apps, I'm guessing some sort of compatibility issue.  Please send fritsch your debug logs.

Playing the Mandalorian S01E01 @ 4K.

MediaCodec (Surface) Enabled - Unwatchable (causes GUI to be very laggy too): https://paste.kodi.tv/iyaxosacah.kodi

MediaCodec (Surface) Disabled - Watchable but frequent stutter: https://paste.kodi.tv/okifawoned.kodi
(2020-12-21, 15:47)SEIKT Wrote: [ -> ]

MediaCodec (Surface) Enabled - Unwatchable (causes GUI to be very laggy too): https://paste.kodi.tv/iyaxosacah.kodi

MediaCodec (Surface) Disabled - Watchable but frequent stutter: https://paste.kodi.tv/okifawoned.kodi

In the surface case it seems that no frame at all is output. Can you share a sample of that file or does it happen with each and every hevc 4k 10 bit file?
(2020-12-21, 15:51)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-21, 15:47)SEIKT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-19, 15:58)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]But without a Debug Log - it's hard to help. I might have a reason to plug mine in after amazon made great firmware f*cking the last week Tongue

In the surface case it seems that no frame at all is output. Can you share a sample of that file or does it happen with each and every hevc 4k 10 bit file?

Every 4K File I have tried to play with Surface enabled behaves the same. Completely unwatchable, almost makes Kodi lock up.
10Bit HEVC is working fine.

I was just also struggling with not working playback fo the last days and it seems that the problem is HDR when your TV is only SDR.

Plugged it into the an LG CX everything is fine. Back in my Sony KD-X9005A (1. gen 4k w/o HDR) it does not work with HDR content. First thought of the default audio layer problem but then I remembered it worked ony my CX when I got it. So I cross checked.

Any known option for proper HDR>SDR conversion?
Just received my Vero 4K+ and checked the same files on both TVs.

On the Vero 4K+ also HDR content plays just fine on the SDR TV. So it seems to me that there might be an issue with HDR-to-SDR-Tonemapping or processing or something in this direction with the CCWGTV on NON-HDR devices.
(2020-12-22, 12:02)myblade Wrote: [ -> ]10Bit HEVC is working fine.

I was just also struggling with not working playback fo the last days and it seems that the problem is HDR when your TV is only SDR.

Plugged it into the an LG CX everything is fine. Back in my Sony KD-X9005A (1. gen 4k w/o HDR) it does not work with HDR content. First thought of the default audio layer problem but then I remembered it worked ony my CX when I got it. So I cross checked.

I had no time to pack the debug informations yet as Christmas is coming, but I hope can do it in some days. BUT! What @myblade wrote could be the exact problem at least my problem. As I wrote in my original post my current TV is just one more years old SAMSUNG - 55D7000 what is not only not HDR capable but not 4k. You could ask me then why I care about 10bit 4k HEVC, but in the near future I would like to change my TV so I'm trying to getting ready for it. Anyway. The problem is problem.

My TV is 'also' HDR incapable so this could be really the reason of the overloaded Kodi. 8bit 4k HEVC is totally fine for me while my TV is just 1080p. 10bit sadly not. But as I wrote, through remote casting the same video there is no problem with that. The only difference the 2 situation is the decoder itself. With casting the video decoder is the GCGTV own process handler while when playing with Kodi that could be Kodi's own. For me seems that with 10bit videos on 8bit TV Kodi not use hardware decoding and 10bit 4k without dedicated multimedia processing is really 'resource hogger'. I don't know why could this happens but seems for me this is the problem. 8but 4k rendering seems HW decoding as the result is almost fine, and only processing through SW should be resulting stuttered.

@fritsch what is your opinion? @myblade situation seems exactly what I found. Could be any possible fix for it? Or wait further for my debug logs?
(2020-12-22, 18:52)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-22, 12:02)myblade Wrote: [ -> ]10Bit HEVC is working fine.

I had no time to pack the debug informations yet as Christmas is coming, but I hope can do it in some days. BUT! What @myblade wrote could be the exact problem at least my problem. As I wrote in my original post my current TV is just one more years old SAMSUNG - 55D7000 what is not only not HDR capable but not 4k. You could ask me then why I care about 10bit 4k HEVC, but in the near future I would like to change my TV so I'm trying to getting ready for it. Anyway. The problem is problem.

My TV is 'also' HDR incapable so this could be really the reason of the overloaded Kodi. 8bit 4k HEVC is totally fine for me while my TV is just 1080p. 10bit sadly not. But as I wrote, through remote casting the same video there is no problem with that. The only difference the 2 situation is the decoder itself. With casting the video decoder is the GCGTV own process handler while when playing with Kodi that could be Kodi's own. For me seems that with 10bit videos on 8bit TV Kodi not use hardware decoding and 10bit 4k without dedicated multimedia processing is really 'resource hogger'. I don't know why could this happens but seems for me this is the problem. 8but 4k rendering seems HW decoding as the result is almost fine, and only processing through SW should be resulting stuttered.

@fritsch what is your opinion? @myblade situation seems exactly what I found. Could be any possible fix for it? Or wait further for my debug logs?
And @fritsch of course really lot of thanks for your help, effort, time in advance!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38