Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
What I said above. Mediacodec Surface is a blackbox, the only alternative is switching it off and our OpenGLES render is used, which has a huge impact on performance as the decoded video stuff needs reimporting on the 3D GPU. But better a workaround than nothing.

Or more clearer: What you see here is a firmware bug, that Mediacodec Surface implementation on the chromecast cannot properly cope with that downscaling.
(2021-01-14, 18:56)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-14, 09:06)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell how well this plays local files from SMB share via ethernet/wifi and that is 4K HEVC 10bit / 8 bit  and with HDR/without HDR?

Are you playing them on a 4K HDR display, a 4K SDR display or a 1080p or less SDR display?
Does it affect the performance depending what device it is outputting to?

I just want to know if it can playback that type of file smoothly or not?

BTW can this device do AC3 transcoding passthrough?
(2021-01-16, 15:29)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-14, 18:56)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-14, 09:06)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell how well this plays local files from SMB share via ethernet/wifi and that is 4K HEVC 10bit / 8 bit  and with HDR/without HDR?

Are you playing them on a 4K HDR display, a 4K SDR display or a 1080p or less SDR display?

I have the same question. After realizing GCGTV wasn't ready for the living room (HDR10/DV + TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreamed to AVR), I got a Shield Pro and planning to move GCGTV to one of the bedrooms with 1080p SDR TV with built-in stereo speakers. Can Kodi 19 Beta reliably play all 4K HDR/SDR + TrueHD/DTS-HD content on this TV? I am having some hiccups with both audio and video for 4k rips that Shield Pro plays fine on the 4K TV. 1080p/SDR/ac3 videos play fine on GCGTV.
(2021-01-16, 21:11)rexian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-16, 15:29)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-14, 18:56)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Are you playing them on a 4K HDR display, a 4K SDR display or a 1080p or less SDR display?

I have the same question. After realizing GCGTV wasn't ready for the living room (HDR10/DV + TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreamed to AVR), I got a Shield Pro and planning to move GCGTV to one of the bedrooms with 1080p SDR TV with built-in stereo speakers. Can Kodi 19 Beta reliably play all 4K HDR/SDR + TrueHD/DTS-HD content on this TV? I am having some hiccups with both audio and video for 4k rips that Shield Pro plays fine on the 4K TV. 1080p/SDR/ac3 videos play fine on GCGTV.

is the 1080p, 10 bit hevc or have HDR etc ?
Curious to know if it can play this type of file smoothly as well.
I just got mine today. They said between January 21-26. It's the 16th. They win on the shipping front vs promise date.

First impressions. Nice little device. I was surprised that it tells you whether or not it's getting enough power. I tried to plug it into my TV usb port and it told me to take a hike. Plugged into the wall with supplied USB adapter + cable and it's working fine.

I don't do anything heavy, no ultra hd or anything. Just basic Mythtv OTA playback 1080p, dvd rips compressed via Handbrake, 720p video files downloaded from my religious organizations site, and mp3's with the occasional .ogg for music.

It seems to do just fine with my light load. It's in the wife's office for when she starts working from home in a week or so. I had it running for a good while this evening without a hitch. I will say that it only has 4gb of storage on it. By the time I copied my existing Thumbnails folder + advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml I only have 5 or 600 mb left. I'm thinking about looking into path substitution for my thumbnails folder. Not shared with others of course but I have near endless space on my server. Toss it on nfs and call it a day.

For my lightweight usage this thing is a slam dunk. 54 bucks with tax included. Couple that with the other Apps, the wife uses Hulu & Disney+ as well as our local media. I'm curious how it will work without an internet connection though. I'll find out eventually I guess.

*EDIT* The only thing I cannot seem to find is how to disable updates. I don't know if it will auto update or not. This may pose an issue if I / you are trying to stay on a specific Kodi version. In my case I'm not ready to move on to 19 yet so I don't know if it will do it for me.

*EDIT 2* Another thing I've noted. The remote is very limited. Fine for it's intended purpose. I gave it a static ip with my dnsmasq and can use the Kore app with no trouble as needed. Kodi is a bit more involved.
(2021-01-16, 22:28)madmax2 Wrote: [ -> ]is the 1080p, 10 bit hevc or have HDR etc ?
Curious to know if it can play this type of file smoothly as well.
I think HDR is the problem. Plays 120Mbps 4k hevc SDR files without any issues. Will try the Matrix RC1 shortly.

Edit: Played a 1080p SDR 90Mbps 10-bit H264 sample (MKV) without any problem.
10-bit H264 - I highly doubt that it plays a 90Mbit sample - post a mediainfo and Debug Log please.

Did you mean 10 bit HEVC / H265 by chance?
Does anybody has Kodi integration working on the Google TV homescreen? I'm interested in listing my TV channels and recordings specifically, movies and TV-shows listed would also be nice.
(2021-01-17, 09:47)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]10-bit H264 - I highly doubt that it plays a 90Mbit sample - post a mediainfo and Debug Log please.

You are right, it was 265, not 264 - here is the sample. Still, why HDR playback on SDR TV is not smooth? Is it a BT.2020 to 709 conversion problem?
(2021-01-17, 09:47)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]10-bit H264 - I highly doubt that it plays a 90Mbit sample - post a mediainfo and Debug Log please.

Here is the partial debug log. Entire file was too big for hastebin so hopefully it has the important details. If not, please let me know and I'll find another place to upload.

TV is Sharp 1080p SDR TV that only supports PCM 2.0 and AC3 audio. I tried the samples from makemkv dvtest and demolandia. Here are my observations -

1. P7 FEL and MEL - both samples stutter badly. FPS goes down to 1. These are the most important samples as makemkv remuxes are in this format.

2. P81 - video starts a bit late and audio plays fine until the video starts and then both stutter. Plays at 1-4 FPS.

3. P5 - smooth playback (58-60 FPS) for both audio and video but the color is off. Blue looks like cyan.

4. P4 - smooth playback and no color issue.

5. NASA DV MP4 - smooth playback and no color issue.

6. Didn't try today but H264 8-bit files as well H265 non-HDR 10-bit files play absolutely fine.
(2021-01-19, 00:47)rexian Wrote: [ -> ]

Here is the partial debug log. Entire file was too big for hastebin so hopefully it has the important details. If not, please let me know and I'll find another place to upload.

TV is Sharp 1080p SDR TV that only supports PCM 2.0 and AC3 audio. I tried the samples from makemkv dvtest and demolandia. Here are my observations -

1. P7 FEL and MEL - both samples stutter badly. FPS goes down to 1. These are the most important samples as makemkv remuxes are in this format.

2. P81 - video starts a bit late and audio plays fine until the video starts and then both stutter. Plays at 1-4 FPS.

3. P5 - smooth playback (58-60 FPS) for both audio and video but the color is off. Blue looks like cyan.

6. Didn't try today but H264 8-bit files as well H265 non-HDR 10-bit files play absolutely fine.

Case 1. & 2. seems absolutely the same what we investigated in the last some days weeks, just please read a little bit back. Seems that there is some type of h265 HDR files what not automatically and properly HW decoded. If you switch off the usage of 'Media Surface' (just that) you will get working result but not fluid as water. I had some h265 10bit files what give exactly the same results what you wrote (1-2-3-4 frame per sec. playback performance). But not all h265 HDR files do the same. There are surely and absolutely working h265 HDR files. Sadly yet I could not properly determine which files works and which not, but I'm still in investigation, and currently checking 'your' files also. So you should really read back for the last some days/weeks. Bitrate differences seemed not relevant for the problem (at least for me, yet...).

File P5 seems interesting as the cyan colorization is clearly visible but that file is even non HDR so the misaligned colors should be surely not because wrong HDR>SDR DRC. (Moreover the colors are off on my desktop also not just on GCGTV)
Update #1: This is really interesting. The same video from Demolandia but in MP4 container recognized as Dolby Vision (HDR) file by MediaInfo. The MKV containered one not recognized as it is. But independently which file is used Kodi on desktop not do tonemapping on these videos. On P7 FEL tonemapping works 'fine'. I'm starting to be crazy because these file typesSad

So there are clearly working and also are non-working h265 HDR files as we discussed it before with @fritsch. 8bit files work always fine independently from the stream/encoding type.
(2021-01-19, 21:57)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-19, 00:47)rexian Wrote: [ -> ]

Case 1. & 2. seems absolutely the same what we investigated in the last some days weeks, just please read a little bit back. Seems that there is some type of h265 HDR files what not automatically and properly HW decoded. If you switch off the usage of 'Media Surface' (just that) you will get working result but not fluid as water. I had some h265 10bit files what give exactly the same results what you wrote (1-2-3-4 frame per sec. playback performance). But not all h265 HDR files do the same. There are surely and absolutely working h265 HDR files. Sadly yet I could not properly determine which files works and which not, but I'm still in investigation, and currently checking 'your' files also. So you should really read back for the last some days/weeks. Bitrate differences seemed not relevant for the problem (at least for me, yet...).

File P5 seems interesting as the cyan colorization is clearly visible but that file is even non HDR so the misaligned colors should be surely not because wrong HDR>SDR DRC. (Moreover the colors are off on my desktop also not just on GCGTV)
Update #1: This is really interesting. The same video from Demolandia but in MP4 container recognized as Dolby Vision (HDR) file by MediaInfo. The MKV containered one not recognized as it is. But independently which file is used Kodi on desktop not do tonemapping on these videos. On P7 FEL tonemapping works 'fine'. I'm starting to be crazy because these file typesSad

So there are clearly working and also are non-working h265 HDR files as we discussed it before with @fritsch. 8bit files work always fine independently from the stream/encoding type.

Ok, what I know now that Kodi on desktop not recognize HDR content just in case if the stream is HDR10 stream. If the stream is 10bit stream but not HDR10 then Kodi not handle it as HDR and this is also true for Dolby Vision HDR streams. Kodi on desktop not recognize them. But this is a different problem then Kodi on GCGTV stutters on some HDR files.
Hi, I'm just playing around with GCGTV and wondering if there is a chance to check output resolution of decoded video, as sys info in kodi stays hardcoded at 1920X1080 no matter what I set in Android, soo is there a log in logcat that can help me determine that?
(2021-01-19, 21:57)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]Case 1. & 2. seems absolutely the same what we investigated in the last some days weeks, just please read a little bit back. Seems that there is some type of h265 HDR files what not automatically and properly HW decoded. If you switch off the usage of 'Media Surface' (just that) you will get working result but not fluid as water. I had some h265 10bit files what give exactly the same results what you wrote (1-2-3-4 frame per sec. playback performance). But not all h265 HDR files do the same. There are surely and absolutely working h265 HDR files. Sadly yet I could not properly determine which files works and which not, but I'm still in investigation, and currently checking 'your' files also. So you should really read back for the last some days/weeks. Bitrate differences seemed not relevant for the problem (at least for me, yet...).
Thanks, will try disabling media surface. I was able to play couple of samples fine but those samples are not useful. The remuxes from makemkv like P7 files are what one can generate from the their blurays. Yes, bitrate isn't an issue - wonder if the MKV container is not being read correctly on GCGTV. If the code is same as Shield Pro then it should. 2019 Shield Pro plays everything fine.

(2021-01-19, 21:57)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]File P5 seems interesting as the cyan colorization is clearly visible but that file is even non HDR so the misaligned colors should be surely not because wrong HDR>SDR DRC. (Moreover the colors are off on my desktop also not just on GCGTV)
As P4 sample played fine, I am not sure if the container is the issue but can't rule out completely. By the way, some of all these are Dolby Video samples and some don't even have HDR10 layer so it makes sense if those cannot be converted correctly. The ones that play fine on Desktop with HDR10, HDR --> SDR tonemapping should be possible, theoretically.
(2021-01-19, 22:21)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, what I know now that Kodi on desktop not recognize HDR content just in case if the stream is HDR10 stream. If the stream is 10bit stream but not HDR10 then Kodi not handle it as HDR and this is also true for Dolby Vision HDR streams. Kodi on desktop not recognize them. But this is a different problem then Kodi on GCGTV stutters on some HDR files.
What version of desktop Kodi doesn't recognize HDR10 stream? I am still running Matrix Beta 2 on Win10 and it plays HDR10 videos fine (including P7 and P81 samples) and my 4K TV recognizes the HDR10 signal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38