Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing video- freezing on the screen with buffer timeout and packet underrun in log
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was my first attempt at playing a video in Kodi, it wasn't a very good experience. I tried playing a local 1080p video file, the video froze and skipped several times and was generally a little jerky. After the first few skips I ssh'ed into the box and monitored the logs and cpu usage. During a freeze I see these messages in the log:

WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
WARNING: Previous line repeats 794 times.
NOTICE: CAESinkPi:AddPackets Underrun (delay:0.00 frames:2400)

The Kodi.bix_v8 process in the beginning was taking around 15% - 35% CPU, at the end it was taking taking between 95% - 160% playing back the video.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4B 8gb. Doesn't this particular Pi have dedicated GPU decoding hardware support?

As a test I played the same video in VLC. I was able to playback the video flawlessly at around 12-18% CPU, smooth with no skips.

Does anyone know what is causing these buffer timeouts and Packet Underruns? VLC seems to be putting Kodi to shame. Can Kodi do any better or is this as much as can be expected?
Post a debug log (wiki) of you playing the video.