Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there any top or htop to view %CPU when using hardware decoding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@popcornmix 's gbm branch uses hardware accel decoding for HEVC content.  I am wondering if there is a program that can read the %CPU for the hardware accelerated decoding?  I believe htop or top will miss the offloaded stuff.
There is no gpu or other processor involved in the decode. Just the arm and the hardware block driven by the v4l2 kernel driver.
So no way to get top like utilisation. If you wanted to measure how long things took you'd have to add logging to kernel driver.
Thanks @popcornmix, it is interesting to me that certain high bitrates saturate the decoding (ie the frame rate drops and the video is not smooth at all), yet looking in htop, 30-36% (all 4 cores) is the processor use under this situation.

Try it:  jellyfish-300-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit

Interestingly, I get similar CPU% when I play back a lower bitrate version that is smooth: jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit
Hardware is designed for sane (e.g. UHD bluray) bitrates, and won't play 300Mbps.
You can overclock hevc_freq to get more performance (but not likelt 300Mbps).