Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: recordings seem to be limited to 2 hours
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have LibreELEC 9.2.5 running on a RPI4 4GB with a USB-to SATA 1TB SSD and HDHR tuners. It seems to do most recordings fine, except when I have a sports event that runs longer than 2 hours.
Last night I had the NFL game set to record and I added post event padding to make the total duration 4hr.
When I checked this morning I only have a 2hr recording of about 7GB. (7025634072). It should have been 14-15GB
I have no failed recordings listed and no errors listed in the DVR section of the web page.
Checking the recording and it looks very good, except it's missing the second half.

Any ideas to why?
Which back-end are you using (HDHR's DVR service, something local like NextPVR or TVHeadend) and how did you trigger the recording, as a timer or manually?
(2020-10-09, 12:51)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Which back-end are you using (HDHR's DVR service, something local like NextPVR or TVHeadend) and how did you trigger the recording, as a timer or manually?
Sorry, I forgot those critical details. Not enough coffee yet.  I'm using the TVH server addon in LE 9.2.5. I'm also configuring the HDHR tuners as an IPTV network so they play nicely on the LAN and other clients don't mess with them. I scheduled the recording using the web based TVH interface.  My EPG data is from Schedules Direct using the KODI addon sd4tvh.

I don't see any obvious log files problems around that time.
I know the default "press record" (rather than timer) length is 2hr, so I'm wondering if that's triggering somehow here?

You might be better asking this on the TVH forum (click here) as Kodi is just acting as the front-end here and it's TVH itself that's handling the recording part.
(2020-10-09, 13:15)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I know the default "press record" (rather than timer) length is 2hr, so I'm wondering if that's triggering somehow here?

You might be better asking this on the TVH forum (click here) as Kodi is just acting as the front-end here and it's TVH itself that's handling the recording part.
That's useful information.  I know that I do use Kodi TV interface to look at the EPG and select Record or Timer sometimes.  Maybe that's what I did instead of the Web Interface.

As to the TVH forum, I've had limited success getting responses over there.  

I also use Kodi on my Shield TV as a frontend to Mythtv with a pvr addon. I've never noticed the 2 hour limit there on record vs. timer.  Maybe I need to investigate that more as well. 
I don't like missing the 2nd hour of a football game. Blush
Check the TVH web interface using a PC, and see what has been scheduled. It will tell you the start and finish times.
(2020-10-09, 14:19)mcelliott Wrote: [ -> ]Check the TVH web interface using a PC, and see what has been scheduled. It will tell you the start and finish times.

On the Web interface in Finished recordings it shows start at 8PM stop at 1200AM with a scheduled duration of 4hr.  However when you go to Kodi Recordings and play it it shows 4 hours duration but when you get to 1:59:49 and play from there it ends.  I'll enable debug on the playback and see if it says anything useful.

Also on the Web interface you can click on the play button of that recording and view the stream with VLC and it only shows 2 hours.
Are you setting the recording up from Kodi? If so, try to do this from the web interface, then disable the TVH client plugin in Kodi so that cannot possibly interfere. See what happens.

Logs from Kodi and from TVH? Otherwise we are just guessing. There may be a good reason why it is stopping.

Do you have SD channels? Same behaviour there?
(2020-10-09, 14:32)mcelliott Wrote: [ -> ]Are you setting the recording up from Kodi? If so, try to do this from the web interface, then disable the TVH client plugin in Kodi so that cannot possibly interfere. See what happens.

Logs from Kodi and from TVH? Otherwise we are just guessing. There may be a good reason why it is stopping.

Do you have SD channels? Same behaviour there?
I'm pretty sure I setup the recording using the web interface because it was 3 days out when I set it up.  But can't be sure because at the time I didn't know it mattered. For this coming Saturday I've setup on game via the web interface, once using Kodi using Record, and another using Kodi using Timer. Then I should know more. I only have ATSC OTA HD channels.  I've posted a log below: 

qojerudoba (paste)
I'm going to move this to the TVHeadend PVR section of the forum, as it may get more attention there from people who deal with such stuff.
This morning I found a 3 hour program using the EPG while using Kodi. I selected add timer and it showed up on TVH web interface as a 3 hour upcoming recording with Creator ip of 127.0.0.1 as all recordings setup by the Kodi FE show. 

However only 2 hours got recorded again.  There is another show like this this evening and I setup a recording using the Web interface this time to see if that makes a difference.
(2020-10-09, 18:13)jfabernathy Wrote: [ -> ]This morning I found a 3 hour program using the EPG while using Kodi. I selected add timer and it showed up on TVH web interface as a 3 hour upcoming recording with Creator ip of 127.0.0.1 as all recordings setup by the Kodi FE show. 

However only 2 hours got recorded again.  There is another show like this this evening and I setup a recording using the Web interface this time to see if that makes a difference.
The show that was 3 hr. long that I setup to record this evening using the TVH web interface recorded, but only 2 hours and 2 minutes got recorded.  So no matter what method I choose, I can't record a program that is longer than 2 hours.  Again this is LibreELEC 9.2.5 TVH Server addon from LibreELEC respository.
If this also happens with recordings from tvheadend web interface, you should ask for help in the respective tvheadend support channels as this is no Kodi issue.
(2020-10-10, 08:44)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]If this also happens with recordings from tvheadend web interface, you should ask for help in the respective tvheadend support channels as this is no Kodi issue.

Well, I was hoping that someone else who uses Kodi and the TVHeadend addon on any device, and specifically a Raspberry Pi 4 could confirm that they had every recorded a program longer than 2 hours. For me it's key to find out if I'm dealing with TVH only issue or a is it specific to Raspberry or LibreELEC.

I figure in all cases you can't use TVH on any platform in any configuration without using Kodi. So I figured this forum would have the best chance of knowing where the problem is.

I know Kodi 18.8 does not have this problem on the Mythtv addon running against a Linux based mythtv-backend.
I'll try and find a suitable programme to record and will see on my system (Pi4 + LE 9.2.5 + TVH server + HDHomerun - so not so different to yours).
Pages: 1 2