Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: View Music Library By "Album Artist"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to view my music library by "Album Artist" rather than just "Artist"?
So what I would need is an "Album Artist" node.

I have tried using the Library Node Editor Add-on, but that seemed to be very limited as to what it can do.

All help appreciated. Music
There is an example album artist node under Roles>Album artist in the default menu.
Settings > Media > Music > Show song and album artists.  Turn that off and go back to the artist node.

If you want the best of both worlds then you can create a node like this.

xml:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="folder" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>Artists (No Compilations)</label>
    <icon>DefaultMusicArtists.png</icon>
    <path>musicdb://artists/?compilation=false&albumartistonly=true</path>
</node>
(2020-10-19, 09:12)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]There is an example album artist node under Roles>Album artist in the default menu.

Hi Dave.
I see it there, but how do I add it to the main node tree?
I have tried moving it, but it won't go to the main tree. I have also tried adding to Favorites.

I have only been using Kodi for about a week.
(2020-10-19, 09:20)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Settings > Media > Music > Show song and album artists.  Turn that off and go back to the artist node.

If you want the best of both worlds then you can create a node like this.

xml:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="folder" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>Artists (No Compilations)</label>
    <icon>DefaultMusicArtists.png</icon>
    <path>musicdb://artists/?compilation=false&albumartistonly=true</path>
</node>
Hi Eagle.
How do I use the code?

I have copied the XML to the userdata folder.
(2020-10-19, 23:38)Dypsis Wrote: [ -> ]I see it there, but how do I add it to the main node tree?
Is this what you are after?

Or do you want it somewhere else?

If you go to Music>Roles>AlbumArtists, then if you call up the Context Menu you can "Add to Favourites".
I can't get it to go there.
Are you doing that from Library Node Editor?
(2020-10-20, 03:28)Dypsis Wrote: [ -> ]Are you doing that from Library Node Editor?
Which- Favourites or moving the Album Artists to the main node listing?
(2020-10-20, 03:35)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-20, 03:28)Dypsis Wrote: [ -> ]Are you doing that from Library Node Editor?
Which- Favourites or moving the Album Artists to the main node listing?
I just want Album Artist in the main node listing.
Are you using MS Windows?
Android TV.
Ok, sorry I can't help with that. Too difficult to shuffle files around. Windows is easy, just a simple copy and paste.

Hopefully the others can guide you. I am not that great with Nodes.
No worries.
Yeah, Windows is easy. Android seems to have some limitations.

Black Eagle provided some code above, and I have copied the XML file to the userdata folder, but I don't know how to implement it from there.

I'll just wait. Someone should know.

Thanks, Karellen.
@Dypsis Almost right!

What you need to do is copy all the original nodes from their system location to userdata/library/.  If you don't copy the originals, then they will disappear when Kodi finds your new node.  On android I think the path is /data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/system/library/.  Copy the entire music directory in there into your userdata/library directory so that you end up with userdata/library/music/ containing all the original definitions.  Then, copy your new node into that directory, next to the original nodes that you just copied. The filename doesn't matter but something descriptive will be of help if you come back to it later,  but make sure it ends in .xml . Then restart Kodi and it should load your new node.

If you get a bit stuck, there is some documentation https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_nodes in the wiki, or just post back with your question.
(2020-10-19, 23:38)Dypsis Wrote: [ -> ]I see it there, but how do I add it to the main node tree?
I have tried moving it, but it won't go to the main tree.
To customise the menu layout or add/remove nodes see https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_nodes#Manua...ustom_node

This needs ability to manipulate files and folders, which I know is not always easy on an Android device. In effect copy the whole current music menu structure (a folder with sub folders) into userdata/library and then locate the new xml file wherever you want to in that layout.

Another approach (no file or folder changes) is to make the default artists node always show album artists only. To do that go to Settings>Media>Music and disable "Show song and album artists".
Pages: 1 2