Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some local Poster/Fanart are not displayed by Kodi. What am I missing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
My movies are organized by folder with each folder using the <movie name>, and containing the video file with the <movie name> and <movie name>-poster.jpg and <movie name>-fanart.jpg and <movie name>.nfo produced by TinyMediaManager.
In some occurrences, Kodi does not display the local poster/fanart. I've checked and ended-up investigating the nfo.
The only difference I can find between the thousands of movies that are properly displayed and the hundreds that are not is that for the latter, the url link for the poster/fanart is dead and it seems that Kodi 18.8 refers to that link external instead of my local files even though I specified local info only when defining my source in Kodi.
This did not happened with the same library of movies using previous versions of Kodi.
Hope someone can help me.
Thx in advance
By the way, if, for a poster that is properly displayed, I modify the poster external url in <movie name>.nfo, then the poster is not displayed in Kodi, which shows that Kodi refers to the external url in <movie name>.nfo and not to <movie name>-poster.jpg in the movie folder on my HD.
and  I should add that I experience the same behavior in Windows 10 and Openelec with Kodi 18.8.
Can you provide a screenshot of your folder so we can clearly see its contents and path.

If you have local artwork correctly saved, artwork URL's in your nfo file should have no affect.

(2020-10-26, 02:37)ronjames Wrote: [ -> ]Openelec with Kodi 18.8.
No such thing.
(2020-10-26, 02:44)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Can you provide a screenshot of your folder so we can clearly see its contents and path.

If you have local artwork correctly saved, artwork URL's in your nfo file should have no affect.
(2020-10-26, 02:37)ronjames Wrote: [ -> ]Openelec with Kodi 18.8.
No such thing.
Thanks for your reply,
Sorry I mean Librelec, not Openelec, my mistake
https://gofile.io/d/pZzRLW for the screenshot
The poster displays properly for the movie "1" while it does not for "2 Coelhos".
Your screenshot shows the artwork is correctly named and located, so no issues there.

Next step is a Debug Log.

Delete from the library the problem movie. Rescan back into the library and provide the Debug Log. Make sure you enable debug mode first then restart.
Hi Karellen,
Thanks for your reply.
I copied my log content as requested (https://paste.kodi.tv/ilidomucez.kodi).
Let me know if you need more info.
Best
ronjames
Nothing revealing in the log, unfortunately.

Can you open your nfo file and click on the artwork links and check to see they work. Down around line 673 there seem to be quite a few broken artwork links.

As for why your local artwork is not working, no idea. There is nothing in the log to reveal the problem. Probably because the movie has already been in your library and the database still holds the details.

Can you delete the movie again. Now change the name of the folder to something like Coelhos (2012) as a test. Is your artwork being scanned? Capture that in a debug log and upload it if it does not work. The first scan always has more information than the second scan.
I checked the poster link in the nfo of the "faulty movie" and it is indeed broken. This happens also of course with fanarts.
I tested another dozen of nfos: no poster if the link is broken, the poster is displayed if the link is still valid.

I made several tests: switching local posters between movies (and renaming them properly of course) has not impact, but switching urls in the nfos has. In all cases, Kodi refers to the external url, never to the local poster. It is noticeable only when the link is broken. I'm not implying it is how Kodi works in general but this is what I experience on 2 different computers (Windows 10 and LibreElec)

I changed the name of the folder and files, replacing all "." with " " and it makes no difference. The new log is at https://paste.kodi.tv/idewobatux.kodi

For all my tests (with the two test movies), I start fresh by deleting the video source and creating a new one. Maybe Kodi keeps stuff in cache anyway but it seems to me that the problem is related to the external link in the nfo prevailing from the local poster file.

Thanks for your help, I hope we can solve this mystery. I appreciate your help and I'll be happy to do more tests at your request.
Again, the log is no help. It is not showing anything that may point to a problem.

I am clutching at straws here now, but can you zip up your movie folder, without the movie, just the artwork and nfo file, and also your MyVideos116.db, upload it somewhere and PM me the link. I want to try it out locally and see if I can replicate it or spot a problem in the database (though I don't think that is the cause).

Also, update to v18.9 to exclude any problems with the recent cloudflare http2 issue. Though this should not affect local artwork.
Hi,
Kodi was updated to 18.9 but this makes no difference as you anticipated.
I made a full reinstall of Kodi 18.9, deleting also the folder in Appdata to make sure it's a fresh start.
I PM you the links for the folders and the DB file you requested.
Best
Thanks @ronjames that helped a lot.

I checked your database and noticed the artwork was missing as expected. I then unzipped your movie folders, added them to my own Source.

I scanned the two movies and surprisingly the poster was missing for the second movie. In fact, it was also missing for the first movie, but that one was a little more complex.

It is obvious that I have completely forgotten about this requirement (or maybe this has changed with the recent improvements in artwork handling). Anyway, Artwork names are case sensitive and must be lowercase. This is one I have to remember from now on. Maybe I have never noticed as I always name my artwork with lowercase.

1.(2013).Dvdrip.X264-Walmart-Poster - your original name which did not work
1.(2013).Dvdrip.X264-Walmart-poster - which does work.

The reason it "seemed" to work for the first movie (in fact it did not work) is that there was a valid artwork link in the nfo file. So when it failed to find the correct poster and fanart artwork, it followed the link in the nfo file and downloaded the same poster. It did not work for the second movie as the artwork link was dead, as you later discovered.

Make the change to your file name and it should work when you rescan it.
If TMM has named them with uppercase, you might want to let the developers know.
You found it!!!
I knew I was missing something and it is nobody's fault but me. TMM names files perfectly, but I decided to normalize all my folder/file names and used the "Title" case change (every word starts with a capital) in Bulk Rename Utility (another fantastic freeware). It was there, in front of my eyes, but since I am more used to Windows file naming than Linux I did not notice.
Thank you so much and keep up the great work!
Pages: 1 2