Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "In Progress TV shows" do not work on client smart TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greeting everyone.

First of all its my first post in here so I would like to say hello and thank you for this great application that let me watch my movie library on my LG TV in other room.

Now lets get started what do I have an issue with. It works, but it does not work "perfectly". I am not sure whether I missed some crucial steps in configuration or maybe I simply need to install KODI on TV (currently watching via UPNP/DLNA built in option, more about setup later), which I would prefer to avoid. The issue is that when I use my TV in "Kodi-PCnameHere / Photo and Video / Video Library / TV Shows" there is folder called "In Progress". And its always empty. No matter how many episodes or whole TV series I already watched.

Yesterday I tried to scroll through one random episode but this time using my PC on which KODI runs. After finishing "watching" the episode magically the series of which was this episode started to appear in "In Progress" section of my KODI. And this series now also appear on my TV. But why do I need to watch it directly on KODI server with KODI application to make the update?? Why does it not update automatically when I use my smart TV?

I would guess its something related with profile? Access rights maybe? Or is it simply "work as designed" for KODI And I simply cannot use all features of TV (even if they are there) if the client is UPNP/DLNA and not a KODI application? That would be kind of sad? So I do not want to believe in this and hence my post here.

Ok below are some of my specification. I guess they might come handy in the investigation?

KODI SERVER
================
system: Windows 7 x64 enterprise
memory: 16 gb
kodi application version: kodi-18.9-Leia-x64 (since yesterday, but earlier was 18.8 and earlier 18.5, always the same results)
skins etc: I dont use any skins nor plugins, I use pretty default features though I turned on some of them obviously
Settings / services: most of them activated (e.g. announce to other systems and all in upnp/dlna section)
But I guess my guisettings.xml will be more productive here than typing manually every single settings? So please feel free to browse through it.

TV SET
================
TV model: LG OLED65C8PLA
TV System: LG Webos (its kind of android but there is no google store and the LG store does NOT have KODI)
Client software: I use the TV built-in option to go through "Input" and there KODI-server that I run on my windows PC appears. So I go through there (UPNP/DLNA connection).

So what do you say? Why the "in progress" is not being updated when I watch it on my TV and how can it be fixed to finally start working?
@cysmaster

You cannot create a library nor use library features when using uPnP. Read the introduction on this page... UPnP (wiki)

Set up proper file sharing like SMB (wiki)
(2020-10-27, 11:49)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@cysmaster

You cannot create a library nor use library features when using uPnP. Read the introduction on this page... UPnP (wiki)

Set up proper file sharing like SMB (wiki)
Thank you Karellen for such a swift reply.
I checked both links quickly and I think they do not really apply to me:
1. The instructions of setting up UPNP sources is something completely unfamiliar to me. Meaning I have never done it and I still can watch movies and TV series on TV. Therefire we can narrow down my streaming to DLNA I suppose? My TV most likely uses DLNA connection with KODI server we can assume?

2. I do not think SMB setting is required either as my LG TV is no SMB client. If it would be I wouldnt even start looking for solution like DLNA servers and therefore I wouldnt even install KODI in the first place. I was starting my long jourieny trying to access the files shared on network and failed as TV does not have samba client at all and cannot be isntalled.
For the functionality you want you on an LG Smart TV you should consider Plex, which has an app on the LG TV app store.
(2020-10-27, 13:35)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]For the functionality you want you on an LG Smart TV you should consider Plex, which has an app on the LG TV app store.

Well thank you but no, thank you. I installed KODI and I want to remain faithful to KODI. I just simply need that "folder" called "In Progress" is being updated by what KODI streams away to DLNA clients like TV. Is that really too much to ask? Honestly to me it looks like some minor bug that should be easy to fix... No?
(2020-10-27, 18:52)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-27, 13:35)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]For the functionality you want you on an LG Smart TV you should consider Plex, which has an app on the LG TV app store.

Well thank you but no, thank you. I installed KODI and I want to remain faithful to KODI. I just simply need that "folder" called "In Progress" is being updated by what KODI streams away to DLNA clients like TV. Is that really too much to ask? Honestly to me it looks like some minor bug that should be easy to fix... No?
No it's not a bug, Kodi isn't designed to do what you want it to do, whereas Plex is designed for that very purpose. You would need to install the Kodi client on your TV to have access to Library functionality, and you can't do that on an LG Smart TV.
(2020-10-27, 12:22)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]1. The instructions of setting up UPNP sources is something completely unfamiliar to me.
uPnP = DLNA
(2020-10-27, 21:16)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-27, 12:22)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]1. The instructions of setting up UPNP sources is something completely unfamiliar to me.
uPnP = DLNA

Well then it makes no sense ; ] Sorry, no offense meant ; ] I just mean I use DLNA and everything works. I mean I can watch movies, I can watch TV series. And not just by file directory but sorted out (like by Title etc.). So not only shares were not need to be defined by samba (that LG TV does not have) and it works, but also the database searching works.
The only thing that does NOT work is KODI server does not seem to notice that it streamed a movie to my TV... somehow ; ] And does not mark such episode as "in progress" which it should. Because why the heck not? For some reason there is no trigger set to update the database IMO.
As you are not using Kodi as the player there is no method to signal playback state to the database.
So currently the database is being updated upon signal playback state? That explains.
Can we please raise some change request / bug fix then?
So the database is updated by the signal playback not just from the client (only) but also / instead by the server sending the playback stream to the client (any client?). After all that would fill in the gap that we currently have. Also there is no way client can playback anything without server knowing it (as its streaming after all).

Possible threat to this: I do not know KODI that much yet but I can assume that if KODI client plays something locally then the (other) server will not be updated this way. Correct? But then in situations of *local playback* then client can send the update request. This would cover the possible threat and everything would be covered.
So what would you guys advise then? Shall I raise a new topic in some "bug area"? Or maybe some moderator can rather move this one there?
(2020-10-30, 11:32)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]So what would you guys advise then?
UPnP has limited functionality in Kodi. If you want library functions, then don't use it. Use SMB (wiki) or some other, full fledged, network sharing protocol.

(2020-10-30, 11:32)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Shall I raise a new topic in some "bug area"?
No. There is no bug. It is what it is.

(2020-10-30, 11:32)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Or maybe some moderator can rather move this one there?
It can stay here. If the other moderators, members or developers want to make comment, they will.
(2020-10-27, 18:52)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly to me it looks like some minor bug that should be easy to fix... No?

No.  A server does just that, serve files.  It has no knowledge of what the other end is doing with the file and nor should it.  EG, what's the difference between copying a video file and watching the same video file ?  To a server, none.  It just knows you want that file for 'something' and gives you access to it.
(2020-10-30, 12:03)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-27, 18:52)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly to me it looks like some minor bug that should be easy to fix... No?

No.  A server does just that, serve files.  It has no knowledge of what the other end is doing with the file and nor should it.  EG, what's the difference between copying a video file and watching the same video file ?  To a server, none.  It just knows you want that file for 'something' and gives you access to it.

Ok, thank you for explanation of mechanics. Now I can see the point that this might indeed be complicated for a server to properly categorize/recognize the action of "sending file".
Ok then, what about some compromise? KODI can have additional switch that users can activate if needed. But default it would be "disabled" of course. And the switch would be to activate "threat sending a file as file being watched" (or whatever more appropriate name you come up with).
Activating this function would help people like myself - people that cannot install KODI on TV (because they do not have "full Android") but they still have built-in DLNA and can watch movies served by KODI.
(2020-10-30, 21:03)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, thank you for explanation of mechanics. Now I can see the point that this might indeed be complicated for a server to properly categorize/recognize the action of "sending file".
I thought that was explained in the Introduction on that wiki page I asked you to read. Did you read it?
The client player does not have direct access to the video and music files. It relies on the UPnP server to send a browse tree that will display on the client player.
Note: UPnP file sharing cannot be used to create a Kodi library on the client device, nor can you use any library features. You can only browse and play from the Browse Tree.

(2020-10-30, 21:03)cysmaster Wrote: [ -> ]Ok then, what about some compromise? KODI can have additional switch that users can activate if needed.
There is no compromise. uPnP does not do what you want. Use another file sharing protocol.
You are welcome to submit the required changes as a PR on Github.
Pages: 1 2