Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom sortMethod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been all over this forum as well as the internet and the answer I always read is 'Use smart playlists' or 'Use super favorites'. For me and my media library, the way it is set up, just doesn't work correctly.
I have been trying to figure out how to create a custom sort, preferably within a skin, that will allow me to sort by the release date. I know that is $LOCALIZE[562] but I cannot figure out where to insert that in the skin that I am using (aeon nox silva utilizing tripanel for searching through my files). So even if I could add the custom sort to the settings for TriPanel because that is what I will always use.
I do not use kodi scrapers for my media, I use TinyMediaManager on my server. (I don't know if that information pertains here but I am going to put it anyway)
That being said let me please break down where my issue is coming in.
I have a main directory that I am perfectly fine with it being by Name or by File because it is just 12 folders.
Those 12 subdirectories I am perfectly fine with being by Name or by File.
Then comes in my complication
Each of those 12 subdirectories have several subdirectories within them and then again. I created a library that is a mixture of genres and franchises and actors and the naming of the  media files gets out of release date order unless I actually number the files.
Heck I would be perfectly fine with just replacing Size or Date, because I will never use those because my watching habits are not based on the size of the file or even the date I added it to my collection.
I hope there is someone out there who can assist me with this and not just give me the 'internet' answer of 'Why? and or 'Use smart playlists'.
Thank you all and I hope to hear from someone soon.
(2020-10-28, 13:46)rdnckreaper Wrote: [ -> ]I have been all over this forum as well as the internet and the answer I always read is 'Use smart playlists' or 'Use super favorites'. For me and my media library, the way it is set up, just doesn't work correctly.
I have been trying to figure out how to create a custom sort, preferably within a skin, that will allow me to sort by the release date. I know that is $LOCALIZE[562] but I cannot figure out where to insert that in the skin that I am using (aeon nox silva utilizing tripanel for searching through my files). So even if I could add the custom sort to the settings for TriPanel because that is what I will always use.
I do not use kodi scrapers for my media, I use TinyMediaManager on my server. (I don't know if that information pertains here but I am going to put it anyway)
That being said let me please break down where my issue is coming in.
I have a main directory that I am perfectly fine with it being by Name or by File because it is just 12 folders.
Those 12 subdirectories I am perfectly fine with being by Name or by File.
Then comes in my complication
Each of those 12 subdirectories have several subdirectories within them and then again. I created a library that is a mixture of genres and franchises and actors and the naming of the  media files gets out of release date order unless I actually number the files.
Heck I would be perfectly fine with just replacing Size or Date, because I will never use those because my watching habits are not based on the size of the file or even the date I added it to my collection.
I hope there is someone out there who can assist me with this and not just give me the 'internet' answer of 'Why? and or 'Use smart playlists'.
Thank you all and I hope to hear from someone soon.
@rdnckreaper , first of all, as far as I know, there is no way to have "custom" sorting of files in a view in Kodi.  You are limited by the fields that the Kodi code allows for sorting.  When you mention "release date", I understand that this is a field that you see in Tiny Media Manager and that gets written to the NFO for the movie; is this correct? Please confirm.

Tiny Media Manager writes the release date as the <premiered> tag in the NFO.  This is good news for you, since, if you scan your movies into the library, you are able to sort by "Year" in Kodi, and Kodi actually uses the complete release date (premiered tag) read from the NFO when you scanned the movie.  I use tmm also, and can confirm that if I sort my movies by Year, the complete release date is being used for the sort.

However, and this is something for you to consider, this only works if the movies, etc. are scanned into the library.  If you are not scanning into the library, this will not work.  In my case, I scan my movies into the library using only the local scraper, which reads the NFOs that tmm has created and does not look for anything online.

Here is a screenshot of my movies, with a sort by Year, descending.  In this view, the release date is not showing, but that is something that a skinner (I am the maintainer for Amber) can easily add.

Please let me know if this answers your question.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart