Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to watch Amazon Prime and Australian TV on Raspberry Pi with Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My objective is to:
  • play my movies from an external USB Hard Disk,
  • stream movies (currently Amazon Prime and Kanopy, but later swap to Netflix, Binge, etc),
  • stream live local Australian free-to-air TV (because no reception at current apartment), and
  • replay TV from local Australian free-to-air stations.
Kodi Add-ons are available for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and lots of other services – so it should be simple, right ? 

Over about 6 months I have tried multiple times and succeeded mainly in tearing my hair out in frustration. Kodi suffers from the unix GOD issue, resulting in sparse or jargonised documentation assuming a PhD in linux to understand; unspecified assumptions; and conflicting undated instructions on various unrelated websites.  

I have tried LibreELEC, and found it fast and efficient. However there are some free-to-air websites and streaming services (Kanopy) which are not available through Kodi add-ons ... and I failed to get any of the browser add-ons working on the Raspberry Pi. I came across a comment that Kodi on RasPi accesses the video hardware directly, and so doesn’t play nicely with other apps … like browsers. Consequently it is necessary to exit Kodi to run a web browser. 

So, these instructions install Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) with a fresh install of the August 2020 version of Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop. The desktop gives Chromium browser and GUI which I find easier to use – though I expect the “lite” Raspberry Pi OS will work just as well if you’re happy with the command line interface.  Chromium is an old version 78, and Widevine DRM is not included; but must be possible since the inputstream addon installs widevine - I'm still working on this.  

The trick is that for Amazon Prime you will also need to install Inputstream.adaptive; and for free-to-air Australian TV you will also need IPTV simple. All the instructions I found online assume that these are already installed, or can easily be installed from the Kodi Add-ons repo. I do not know whether this was a deliberate change from previous versions, or that the Raspberry Pi version is different. 

So, to install Kodi on a fresh install of the August 2020 version of Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop:

sudo apt install kodi kodi-Inputstream-adaptive kodi-pvr-iptvsimple

You will also need to download a couple of repositories, for things not in the Kodi add-ons repo:
  • Sandmann79 Repository contains the Amazon Prime VOD add-on.
  • SlyGuy Repository contains IPTV AU (live TV), Binge, Disney+, Foxtel, Kayo sports, Stan, TAB, IPTV NZ, TVNZ, and various other Australian and New Zealand services.
  • Aussie Add-ons  Repo gives access to media from 9Now, ABC iView, SBS On Demand websites. I understand that Seven and Ten have used legal process to block access via Kodi to the material freely available on their websites :-(
 Run Kodi and install the repos (Install from ZIP file) then install the add-ons themselves (install from repository). 

To configure Amazon VOD
  • at “Connection” menu option, entering your Amazon Prime sign-on details.
  • When you first try to play a video it will ask if you wish to activate Inputstream.adaptive. Reply yes.
  • You will be advised that Widevine CDM is required – select Install Widevine and accept the agreement. You will require about 610MB disk space. This will take some time to download Chrome OS image and extract Widevine support on a RasPi4.
 To configure Free-to-air Australian TV
  • From SlyGuy Repository, Video add-ons section, install IPTV AU. Also install other services you are interested in (Binge, Disney+, Foxtel, Kayo sports, Stan, TAB, TVNZ).
  • From the Program add-ons section, install IPTV Merge.
  • Open IPTV AU, and select Configure. In section “Live TV & EPG” click on “Setup IPTV Merge”.  (This creates the “Channels”, “Guide”, etc at Kodis TV main menu “TV” option)
 From Aussie Add-ons repo you can install 9Now, ABC iView, SBS On Demand to give access to the media on their websites. They may require you to provide your website login details.