Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: KODI TV shows - Episode art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I recently noticed that I had mislabelled a Big Bang Theory Season 7 subfolder as "S07E01E02E03E04E05E07E08", with the other two subfolders (each representing the content of the original DVD it was ripped from in its original file structure) correctly labelled, so KODI showed me all episodes from season 7 with correct titles and artwork, except for episode 6 which I had forgotten to include in the subfolder name.

I renamed the subfolder, but episode 6 did not show up (unsurprisingly), so I made a library update, which then 'imported' icon with art for all 8 episodes, but did not remove the old 7 episodes contained in the original subfolder name, so I then had 15 episodes. The strange thing is that where the original 7 episodes of this subfolder, and the 16 episodes in the other two subfolders each had their own artwork with what I believe were screenshots from the respective individual episode, the new artwork was the same image for all the first 8 episodes that came after I changed (and corrected) the subfolder name to "S07E01E02E03E04E05E06E07E08". So I now had 23 episodes in total with the correct individual episode artwork and 8 episodes all with the same artwork as the first episode (which was also one of the original 23, so a total of 9 identical images).

I wanted to clean up the mess, so I removed the Season 7 folder (with the three subfolder each containing 8 episodes) from the Big Bang Theory main folder, ran a Clean Library, then reimported the Season 7 folder into the Big Bang Theory main folder. I now have all 24 episodes correctly named and each with artwork, BUT: the image is the same for each episode of the respective subfolder it is placed in, i.e. episodes 1 - 8 have the same image, the original artwork for episode 1, episodes 9 - 16 all have the image from episode 9 and 17 - 24 all have episode 17 artwork, so just three different images each shown eight times, where I before had individual and different artwork for each of the (then only 23) episodes.

I have not done any manual work on  the scraping or importing of this TV show, originally or now, so why does it behave differently, and how can i get it to show correct individual artwork for each episode again?

Thanks for all good suggestions :-)
Subfolders should be named just Season 7 or Season 07.   then naming the files inside appropriately   like Big Bang Theory s07e01.mkv  Big Bang Theory s07e02... and so forth.
(2020-11-06, 11:50)spencerjford Wrote: [ -> ]Subfolders should be named just Season 7 or Season 07.   then naming the files inside appropriately   like Big Bang Theory s07e01.mkv  Big Bang Theory s07e02... and so forth.

Hi, thanks for the response, but I doubt that this is the problem because (1) it was all OK before I simply added the "E06" in the middle of the subfolder name and (2) I have 296 TV Shows, most with many seasons, between 2.000 and 3.000 ripped discs in total, organised this way and each episode has its own art, only Season 7 of Big Bang Theory has this issue, after yesterday's attempt at updating that season. As an example the other 11 seasons of Big Bang Theory that I have ripped, and all episodes for each of those seasons, all behave as they should with individual artwork for each episode. 

This is not a big issue, especially if I am able somehow to manually restore or correct the artwork?  But I am still wondering what happened!
Did you first delete the incorrect entries- all 7 episodes?

Once you delete the incorrect entries, then you can rename the subfolder correctly and Update Library or Scan for new content.

Sounds like you just renamed the folder and ran an Update Library, so this would give you duplicate episodes, not a single new episode as you had hoped.
Unfortunately you are right Karellen, I did it the incorrect way.

But is there some way of correcting it? I now have all the individual episodes, no duplicates, correctly named and with cover art for each episode. tTe problem is only that the cover art is not 24 different images but 3 sets of 8 identical images where all episodes in one subfolder have the same image. Since the episodes are not single files (.mkv or something) but each of the three subfolder containing the episodes is a copy of the original folder structure of the DVD it is ripped from, I do need the subfolders, and they work well too (although not for BluRays, but that is another discussion).
@cgroth

I urge you not to rip the entire disk as one folder. Even though Kodi can handle it, it is very limited and inflexible. For example, Kodi has no idea where each episode starts and ends, it just knows there are 8 episodes in that folder.

Try https://www.makemkv.com/

I don't know about the artwork, but I will look into it tomorrow. It has been years since I have ripped using your method. (I re-ripped a good portion of my library to exactly avoid what you are doing now)

I guess the issue with bluray is that it can't find the episodes or it finds too many? Then add this to your advancedsettings.xml file...

xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<tvshowmatching action="append">
<regexp>[\\/\._ \[\(-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?Sad?:[\\/]bdmv)?[\\/]index\.bdmv)$</regexp>
</tvshowmatching>
</advancedsettings>
(2020-11-07, 10:14)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@cgroth

I urge you not to rip the entire disk as one folder. Even though Kodi can handle it, it is very limited and inflexible. For example, Kodi has no idea where each episode starts and ends, it just knows there are 8 episodes in that folder.
Thanks Karellen, but for all sorts of reasons my DVDs are ripped that way, I have ripped more than 5.000 discs, and there is no way that I am redoing it, it has taken me about 10 years I think.... Also, until yesterday, with the exception of the BluRay TV Shows mentioned and where I will see if your advcancedsettings are better than mine (at first glance they look the same), this has worked fine. KODI doesn't need to know where the episodes start an end, I simply select the episode I want from the the KODI GUI, then the original disc containing that episode is replicated. Yes it is a bit cumbersome that I then have to select the episode again from the disc menu, but I have the (for me) benefit of having the original disc with art, music, options, special materials etc.

As stated I have around 2.500 discs already ripped with TV Shows organized in this way, and they all work fine, the issue I have raised here only applies to this one disc. The rip itself is fine, and the episodes etc were also fine, except that I had forgotten to write in the subfoldername that it also contained episode 6. When I tried to correct that I messed up, then I think KODI messed up my attempt to rescan.. I am sure it can be fixed, but I have no idea where one sets the episode art or refreshes it?
(2020-11-07, 13:51)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]As stated I have around 2.500 discs already ripped with TV Shows organized in this way, and they all work fine, the issue I have raised here only applies to this one disc.
Ok. I couldn't remember if I had mentioned this to you before and wanted to make you aware that even though Kodi can accommodate it, it is not best practice to do it this way. Yes, re-ripping all those disks will be very time consuming, but maybe from this point forward you rip to individual episodes for new disks. Anyway that is my last comment on that subject Smile

So I have tried to replicate your issue and could not. I added the multi episode file with episode 6 missing, then I renamed the file to add episode 6, then ran an update library and received the duplicate episodes. Then I deleted the show and readded it and all the episode images are correct. Not sure why it is not working for you. Try deleting the season again, and rescraping?
(2020-11-07, 22:10)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-07, 13:51)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]As stated I have around 2.500 discs already ripped with TV Shows organized in this way, and they all work fine, the issue I have raised here only applies to this one disc.
Ok. I couldn't remember if I had mentioned this to you before and wanted to make you aware that even though Kodi can accommodate it, it is not best practice to do it this way. Yes, re-ripping all those disks will be very time consuming, but maybe from this point forward you rip to individual episodes for new disks. Anyway that is my last comment on that subject Smile

So I have tried to replicate your issue and could not. I added the multi episode file with episode 6 missing, then I renamed the file to add episode 6, then ran an update library and received the duplicate episodes. Then I deleted the show and readded it and all the episode images are correct. Not sure why it is not working for you. Try deleting the season again, and rescraping?

Thanks again Karellen! I finished ripping my DVDs last week (phew), everything is now stored on a giant NAS and KODI has made my wife super happy (I used to have 6 mega-changers in the living room, now all gone) :-)  So no more ripping for me, I don't really but DVDs anymore.

Just need to solve my BlueRay TV show problem, and life will be a dream :-)

I will try to do as you say, otherwise I will just fix manually, small problem, and just curious it happened.