Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issue with Raspberry Pi 400
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!  I've been playing around with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 4 in various guises.

I have a USB-3 SSD which boots to Twister OS and I have Kodi installed with plugins for emby and IPTV.  I'd also been playing around with a mSD running LibreELEC and Kodi doing pretty much the same thing.  They were both running Leia, but I can't remember exactly which version.

I managed to pick up a Pi 400 and assumed I could just connect the SSD or mSD and it would work in the same way, but when I start Kodi on Twister OS I get a black screen with the small white flashing cursor in the top left corner and the only way I can find to escape that is a power-cycle.

The mSD with LibreELEC won't even boot.

Anyone else had similar problems with a Pi 400?  Thanks
The firmware (start.elf/fixup,dat) needs to be new enough to support the Pi400, otherwise it just won't boot.
Check with the distribution if they have an update.
If not, download start4.elf and fixup4.dat and replace the ones on the boot partition of your sdcard
(you may need to rename to start.elf/fixup.dat for LibreELEC) and it should boot.
(2020-11-07, 14:08)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]The firmware (start.elf/fixup,dat) needs to be new enough to support the Pi400, otherwise it just won't boot.
Check with the distribution if they have an update.
If not, download start4.elf and fixup4.dat and replace the ones on the boot partition of your sdcard
(you may need to rename to start.elf/fixup.dat for LibreELEC) and it should boot.

Thanks!  Yes, it boots now copying across those 2 files and renaming the others.  Still need to see what's wrong with the Twister OS install, but will give this a try too.
No, I've copied across the 2 newer files but when I try to start Kodi on Twister OS I just get a black screen with small flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.

Twister OS seems to work fine, as do some of the other things I've got installed (emby, RetroPie, etc.) but not Kodi.  It does work when the SSD is hooked up to the older Pi4 though.
(2020-11-08, 14:44)adrianwi Wrote: [ -> ]No, I've copied across the 2 newer files but when I try to start Kodi on Twister OS I just get a black screen with small flashing cursor in the top left-hand corner.
Did you rename the files on Twister when copying? You shouldn't - that's only needed on LibreELEC where they rename the start.elf/fixup.dat themselves.
Thanks for your help!

I'd moved the start.elf & start4.elf and fixup.dat & fixup4.dat files to a ./old folder and then copied across the newer start4.elf and fixup4.dat files from the github page.

TwisterOS still worked, but I've just moved the start.elf and fixup.dat files back and left the newer github files.  Again, TwisterOS works fine but I just get the flashing cursor when starting Kodi.

I still works when I boot from the SSD on the RPi4 and start Kodi, just not on the Pi400.

It's not the end of the world, but I'd been trying to setup TwisterOS as my default Pi operating system as it performs really well and has most of the things I use out of the box.  Maybe the problem is with TwisterOS and I need to ask them too?
(2020-11-08, 19:44)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]It's not the end of the world, but I'd been trying to setup TwisterOS as my default Pi operating system as it performs really well and has most of the things I use out of the box. Maybe the problem is with TwisterOS and I need to ask them too?

Might be worth asking. A possibility is the kernel is older than in RPiOS or LibreELEC and needs updating.
I've done some more digging with some help from the TwisterOS Discord and it could be related to the lack of 3.5mm audio on the Pi400?  Can that be disabled in the Kodi config without being able to start Kodi?
(2020-11-08, 23:29)adrianwi Wrote: [ -> ]I've done some more digging with some help from the TwisterOS Discord and it could be related to the lack of 3.5mm audio on the Pi400?  Can that be disabled in the Kodi config without being able to start Kodi?

That sounds unlikely to me. But you can boot the sdcard on Pi4, and make sure system/audio settings and using HDMI, and then switch sdcard back to Pi400.
You can also try booting with default configuration (move ~/.kodi directory out of the way before starting kodi).
I've removed (sudo apt remove kodi) Kodi, deleted the /.kodi folder and then reinstalled (sudo apt install kodi) and it still won't start on the Pi400.

Not sure what else there is for me to try, so I'll just wait to see if an update at some point resolves things.  Appreciate the Pi400 is relatively new and unlikely to be used solely as a media device.
(2020-11-07, 13:42)adrianwi Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!  I've been playing around with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 4 in various guises.

I have a USB-3 SSD which boots to Twister OS and I have Kodi installed with plugins for emby and IPTV.  I'd also been playing around with a mSD running LibreELEC and Kodi doing pretty much the same thing.  They were both running Leia, but I can't remember exactly which version.

I managed to pick up a Pi 400 and assumed I could just connect the SSD or mSD and it would work in the same way, but when I start Kodi on Twister OS I get a black screen with the small white flashing cursor in the top left corner and the only way I can find to escape that is a power-cycle.

Hello
How did you manage to install pvr for IPTV? Cannot install IPTV simple client to add an IPTV m3u list
Thanks
(2020-11-25, 20:38)galopogos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-07, 13:42)adrianwi Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!  I've been playing around with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi 4 in various guises.

Hello
How did you manage to install pvr for IPTV? Cannot install IPTV simple client to add an IPTV m3u list
Thanks
I am having the same issue with KODI on a Pi 400 running Twister OS. I have searched and looked for a way to stop the black screen with the blinking cursor all night. I have uninstalled and reinstalled KODI to no avail. KODI was installed with the Twister OS image by default. I wanted to use it but cannot. I would love to help solve this issue if possible.

Thanks,
Jim
Kodi is confimed to be working on the latest Raspi OS on the Raspberry Pi 400.
But I don't know what Twister OS is, if it comes with Kodi pre-installed and it doesn't work on the Pi 400, you have to ask to Twister OS developers why.