Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black screen when playing video via Kodi web interface
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there, I have an issue with my Kodi where if I try to play certain videos via the web player "Play in browser" option, they will play only audio with a black screen or fail to play entirely with a spinning circle.

I am using the latest version of OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3.

I have tried multiple browsers (Edge, Chrome and Firefox).

It seems that AVC (H.264) encoded videos work fine but if they are Xvid or Mpeg-4 encoded videos, then I will get a black screen.

This is using the HTML5 option, they do not play at all using the VLC or DivX options. VLC says "Plugin not supported" and DixX fails to play entirely.

All of these files play correctly when playing natively from the Pi itself, this only happens when trying to use the "Play in browser" option via the web interface.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
This isn't a kodi question. It's a browser question. Kodi is not involved in the video playback on browser and most browsers don't support playback of more niche formats.
(2020-11-10, 13:05)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't a kodi question. It's a browser question. Kodi is not involved in the video playback on browser and most browsers don't support playback of more niche formats.

Mpeg-4 is a "niche format"?
(2020-11-10, 13:34)rikkib Wrote: [ -> ]Mpeg-4 is a "niche format"?

In terms of web browsers, yes. It doesn't even make the supported/not supported list here:
https://videojs.com/html5-video-support/