Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My own videos play at the wrong resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I've made a number of YouTube holiday videos and want them on my Kodi to show friends when they drop in.
I've enabled the 'Videos' area in Kodi, made a new folder on my Raspberry Pi connected network drive and can navigate and play them.

The problem I'm having is the play in 4:3 aspect ratio and not in 1920x1080 resolution.

As a test, I've used TinyMediaManager and created NFO local database files for a few of them. The NFO contains the movie specs as being 1920x1080 but they still display as 4:3, for some reason.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong and how to get them to display correctly?

Thanks for any help.
(2020-12-01, 03:50)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong and how to get them to display correctly?

With which device did you create those videos? Did you use some kind of 'after treatment' software on those videos with a 3rd party tool?
And could you provide us with a small 5-10 seconds clip of such a video? As always, a full debug log (wiki) always helps.

Sometimes the zoom feature fixes awkward video displays.
(2020-12-01, 09:10)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-01, 03:50)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong and how to get them to display correctly?

With which device did you create those videos? Did you use some kind of 'after treatment' software on those videos with a 3rd party tool?
And could you provide us with a small 5-10 seconds clip of such a video? As always, a full debug log (wiki) always helps.

Sometimes the zoom feature fixes awkward video displays.
Hi and thanks so much for your reply.

They were shot on GoPros but the videos were created and rendered with Davinci Resolve on a 1920x1080 timeline.
A sample of the final output is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyvgkhx8liazgn...t.mov?dl=0
And log file is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iu1nnupoihbfdv/kodi.log?dl=0

I hope you can provide some additional insight and thanks again for your help

Martin
You didn't have debug logging enabled so that log is useless.
(2020-12-01, 12:11)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]You didn't have debug logging enabled so that log is useless.

OK didn't know from that wiki article it was something that needed to be enabled, sorry.
Please try this log file https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iu1nnupoihbfdv/kodi.log?dl=0
I don't see anything in the log that suggests this video is playing at 4:3 and it plays at 16:9 for me.

Do other 16:9 play correctly? Are you sure this isn't a setting on your TV?
Check the display menu for something like "aspect ratio" and make sure it's set to 16:9 or 1:1 or fullscreen etc.
(2020-12-01, 11:11)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]They were shot on GoPros but the videos were created and rendered with Davinci Resolve on a 1920x1080 timeline.

Your video sample plays fine in Kodi 18.9 on an Nvidia Shield TV (2015) as 16:9, not as 4:3.
(2020-12-01, 11:11)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]They were shot on GoPros but the videos were created and rendered with Davinci Resolve on a 1920x1080 timeline.

Also works fine here on RPi4B, it is played back in 16:9 aspect ratio for me.
Guessing this is a Pi 3 or something, since your running OSMC?  Could also be an OSMC-specific issue, they do their own tweaks/fixes to Kodi.
(2020-12-01, 19:14)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see anything in the log that suggests this video is playing at 4:3 and it plays at 16:9 for me.

Check the display menu for something like "aspect ratio" and make sure it's set to 16:9 or 1:1 or fullscreen etc.

OK thanks to all
Other 16:9 movies play the correct aspect ratio.
I'll go through settings and see what I can find. Weird that just the ones I've produced act this way
(2020-12-01, 19:14)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see anything in the log that suggests this video is playing at 4:3 and it plays at 16:9 for me.

Yes, movies play fine 16:9, with the black bars at the top and bottom of the TV
With these videos, the entire TV is filled (no black bars). The video specs show the system sees it at 16:9 but all of them just fill the screen for some reason. I'm yet to see any settings or figure out why they display like this.
Check the View Mode setting under Video Settings on the OSD menu bar (the menu when playing the video) for the ones that have this behaviour.
(2020-12-02, 11:54)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, movies play fine 16:9, with the black bars at the top and bottom of the TV
With these videos, the entire TV is filled (no black bars). The video specs show the system sees it at 16:9 but all of them just fill the screen for some reason. I'm yet to see any settings or figure out why they display like this.

If 16:9 movies play with black bars top and bottom - I guess you have a 4:3 TV (probably an old CRT) rather than a modern widescreen 16:9 LCD or OLED (or a slightly older plasma)?  If so - I'm guessing you are using composite output?

If you have a modern widescreen 16:9 TV - you would expect 16:9 self-shot content to fill the 16:9 screen.  HOWEVER a lot of movies and TV dramas are wider than 16:9 (some are 2:1, 21:9 etc.) so show with black bars above and below a letterbox display on a 16:9 display (though they are often carried in a 16:9 video signal with black video above and below that is part of the signal - so MediaInfo etc. will still report them as 16:9)
(2020-12-01, 03:50)rastarr Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for any help.

I just played your video sample on a RPi-4B (4GB) with a 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) running LibreELEC 9.2.6, and the clip is displayed as 16:9 as it should be.
Post a screenshot of your in-play Video Settings, this screen: