Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I have 2 problems using Kodi with receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

I started using Kodi this year and I have some problems with my setup.
My setup is as follow.
1. My PC running windows 10 that I use for everyday stuff that is connected through Nvidia 1070 GPU to 2 screens.
2. 1 monitor connected directly from GPU with DVI. Second TV in another room connected using HDMI from GPU through Denon X3400H receiver. (Long Cable)
3. Kodi version 18.6

My first problem is. Kodi doesn't detect at all my TV. It only detect my Monitor. In the Display monitor option I only have either "Default" or "BenqGL2450" (my monitor).
I read in old posts that I should boot my receiver and tv before Kodi. But that didn't help at all. I change to my second screen in windows display option, then boot my receiver, and then Kodi but still no success.

My second issue is that every time I boot Kodi on my second screen I need to change the audio output device to my Denon receiver through system settings.
When I boot up Kodi the default audio device is speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) instead of Denon receiver.
Just to make the issue more clear. When I use my monitor, I do use the Speakers device. But when I switch to my TV then windows automatically switch to Denon audio device.
But despite all that Kodi does not automatically set the audio device to be the same one windows does. Even tho I launch it only after my windows uses Denon Receiver.

Any ideas how can I solve this?
(2020-12-02, 10:47)Railgun Wrote: [ -> ](Long Cable)
How long? (signal weakens with distance) When DVI and HDMI first hit the market, many people had trouble running signals over even modest distances; 15 feet would be reliable, and anything longer was a gamble.

If it's possible, try a direct connection between the TV and PC card and duplicate mode taking your AVR out of the equation. The idea is to get a display on your TV to ensure PC & TV capability before introducing the AVR.

Kodi sniffs your hardware & connections on launch. The default is directsound, if the last time you used Kodi (perhaps for maintenance) on the local monitor and shut down, then that is what you'll get until you change it in settings and have the proper hardware handshaking available ( e.g. the TV & AVR on), then with that configuration secure, shutting down Kodi first will save this configuration for next launch. Easiest way to keep this configuration is to use duplicate screen mode (your gfx engine will not suffer).

Use expert mode in settings, a debug might show what devices are available on launch.
(2020-12-02, 18:41)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-02, 10:47)Railgun Wrote: [ -> ](Long Cable)
How long? (signal weakens with distance) When DVI and HDMI first hit the market, many people had trouble running signals over even modest distances; 15 feet would be reliable, and anything longer was a gamble.

If it's possible, try a direct connection between the TV and PC card and duplicate mode taking your AVR out of the equation. The idea is to get a display on your TV to ensure PC & TV capability before introducing the AVR.

Kodi sniffs your hardware & connections on launch. The default is directsound, if the last time you used Kodi (perhaps for maintenance) on the local monitor and shut down, then that is what you'll get until you change it in settings and have the proper hardware handshaking available ( e.g. the TV & AVR on), then with that configuration secure, shutting down Kodi first will save this configuration for next launch. Easiest way to keep this configuration is to use duplicate screen mode (your gfx engine will not suffer).

Use expert mode in settings, a debug might show what devices are available on launch.
 Hey! thanks for your replay and sorry for the late response.

My HDMI cable is 5 meters which is roughly 16 feet.
I am not sure if that matters or not. But my HDMI cable is one side mini HDMI and the other regular HDMI, Since my 1070 GPU don't have mini HDMI output I used a Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter.
I want to note that using that long cable is working for me for many years. So I don't think the length is a problem in my case at least since I watched movies with it without any issues.

I tried connecting my TV directly to my PC GPU as you suggested, but sadly Kodi does not detect it.
When I use duplicate monitor I get Generic PnP monitor in Kodi settings. When I use only the TV I only get my monitor detected (BenQ).
I tried completely disconnect my monitor and see how it will work. Turns out, Kodi detects my tv as generic PnP monitor even tho no other screen is connected and I don't use duplicate display.
Windows on the other hand does detect my TV as Samsung. So I think in that case it is safe to say that my AVR is not the culprit.

About Audio device. Kodi does detect it as Samsung and after selecting Wasapi it stayed that way after closing it and launching it again.
So that problem has been solved. But still I need to test it with my AVR connected to be 100% sure.

The last part about debug I didn't understand. I didn't see anything on the event viewer other then that Kodi launched successfully.
If you could give me some direction regarding it it would be helpful.
I did tried the wiki page regarding making a debug log. I do have a log file. But not sure if that what was you referred to.
(2020-12-04, 17:53)Railgun Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi detects my tv as generic PnP monitor
Some TV manufacturers offer a specific driver for PC's to help the recognizance.. follow this MS article.
(2020-12-04, 17:53)Railgun Wrote: [ -> ]detect it as Samsung and after selecting Wasapi it stayed that way after closing it and launching it again.
So that problem has been solved. But still I need to test it with my AVR connected to be 100% sure.
In settings use wasapi and if settings shows your Samsung use it. (indicating there is a specific driver and it was recognized).
(2020-12-04, 17:53)Railgun Wrote: [ -> ]If you could give me some direction regarding it
This thread should be sufficient. You need to turn on logging in settings to be useful, then post that log to a pastbin such as https://paste.kodi.tv/ and link that page URL to this thread.