Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Movie Library Keeps Failing on Android TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I followed Kodi's best practice on naming movie files on my 14 TB hard drive, but the library fails every time I turn off my TV.

Every movie is in its own folder (that has the same name as the movie) along with its subtitle file. And all movies are in one source folder called Movies. I open Kodi on my android TV and set the movie folder a source for movies and scan it. I always make sure to enable the setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" before it starts scanning. 

It scans all my movies successfully, and I'm able to play them just fine, but when I turn off my TV and turn it on again, the entire movie library stops working. The files are there in the library, but when I click on any movie, it won't play!

Please help.
@ZeroblueOrchid

Your steps sound right, but at a guess maybe each time you switch on your TV, it is allocating a new drive letter to your hard drive.

Could you please provide a Debug Log which captures you scraping your library.

I'll move you to the Android forum as I have heard of this issue before and someone there might know the fix.
(2020-12-08, 07:13)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@ZeroblueOrchid

Your steps sound right, but at a guess maybe each time you switch on your TV, it is allocating a new drive letter to your hard drive.

Could you please provide a Debug Log which captures you scraping your library.

I'll move you to the Android forum as I have heard of this issue before and someone there might know the fix.

Thank you for responding. Actually, you're right, but it's not a letter, but more like a 16-alphanumeric-long string separated by dashes, which makes sense why Kodi can't read the library anymore.

This is before I restart the TV:
https://ibb.co/FBZj0RP

This is after I restart the TV:
https://ibb.co/hCFn6Pg

So this is an Android TV issue?

I'm playing Kodi straight from my Sony Android TV while the hard drive is plugged into the TV's USB port. How can I fix this?

I'll figure out how to move the debug log from my TV to flash memory to copy/paste it here. I've never done this before.
(2020-12-09, 21:01)ZeroblueOrchid Wrote: [ -> ]I'll figure out how to move the debug log from my TV to flash memory to copy/paste it here. I've never done this before.
Try this... https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/File_manager_access

(2020-12-09, 21:01)ZeroblueOrchid Wrote: [ -> ]So this is an Android TV issue?
Yes, I think so. But I am not an Android user, so someone else will need to confirm this for you. But at least we are now pointed in the right direction.
I finally figured it out! The problem was in the file system used to format the Hard Drive. It was FAT32, and that's why it wasn't working. It should be NTFS.

To test this, I used a FAT32 16GB flash memory and added a couple of movies to it. I inserted the flash memory into my Sony Android TV and scanned it as a Movie Source on Kodi, which was able to scan the movies successfully into its library. After restarting the TV, the two movies stopped working in Kodi, and I noticed that the flash memory's address in Kodi's system information changed.

I formated the flash memory and used the NTFS file system instead and repeated the steps above. Kodi's library now works after restarting the TV!

This has been giving me headaches for weeks ever since the TV downloaded the most recent version of Android. I was able to use the Kodi Library before the software upgrade even though it used the FAT32 file system.

Anyway, I'll have to format my 14TB hard drive into NTFS and move my movies back to it, which will take around 24 hours to finish. I'll update this thread when all my movies are playing well in Kodi's library.
Resolved. 

My offline Kodi library is now working even when I restart my TV.

It was the way the Hard Drive was formatted. NTFS should be used for Kodi, NOT the FAT32 file system.

Thank you.
@ZeroblueOrchid

Thanks for the feedback and solution. I am sure your post will help others.

Thread marked solved.