Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Mapping to external source (Android TV)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed Kodi on my AT&T TV set top box (it is Android TV) and successfully added a few videos from a USB attached.  It does not like external drives, but does allow multiple USB sticks when using an unpowered USB hub.  Instead of having multiple USB sticks, it would be better for this installation to use network storage.

I have an external drive (called "My Book") connected to a Windows PC (called "Red" on network as 192.168.1.xxx).  I am able to use other windows PCs to map to it.  I cannot for the life of me get the Kodi to connect.  I have tried a variety of methods (NFS, SMB, FTP) but they all give me the same result.  Can someone clarify the format for the fields?  Should I use the PC's IP address or its name?  What about the //Red/My Book format?  Is user name and password required?  Some tutorials have conflicting information.  For the username, is it the Microsoft account (email address) and password, or is it profile name and password of the PC?

With all the combinations I've tried, all I get is "Operation not permitted" and it is driving me mad.
(2020-12-11, 14:55)duckredbeard Wrote: [ -> ]I installed Kodi on my AT&T TV set top box (it is Android TV) and successfully added a few videos from a USB attached.  It does not like external drives, but does allow multiple USB sticks when using an unpowered USB hub.  Instead of having multiple USB sticks, it would be better for this installation to use network storage.

I have an external drive (called "My Book") connected to a Windows PC (called "Red" on network as 192.168.1.xxx).  I am able to use other windows PCs to map to it.  I cannot for the life of me get the Kodi to connect.  I have tried a variety of methods (NFS, SMB, FTP) but they all give me the same result.  Can someone clarify the format for the fields?  Should I use the PC's IP address or its name?  What about the //Red/My Book format?  Is user name and password required?  Some tutorials have conflicting information.  For the username, is it the Microsoft account (email address) and password, or is it profile name and password of the PC?

With all the combinations I've tried, all I get is "Operation not permitted" and it is driving me mad.

As with most issues that stump me, I ask a question then the answer falls into my lap when I click the 1497th link I see.

I found "And in true style, I figured out a solution.  I added a network location, specifying the server name but no shares - Specified my login information and saved it.  That gave me an additional option in the Browse for Location of smb://server" at HERE.
Nothing better than a self solve with feedback to the solution.

Thread marked solved.