Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Use File Sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,I'm back Smile .How can I add my Libraries of movies and tv shows to my android device ?. I tried to use UPnP but it didn't recognize my device at all,also tried SMB but same problem? Is there a convenient way to do this?? I tried to read the Kodi wiki but it was too confusing and frankly, jumbled up.Thanks!!!
(2020-12-28, 09:13)DarkKnight939 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to read the Kodi wiki but it was too confusing and frankly, jumbled up
Which pages? Tell me what was confusing and I will try to fix. But I need you to point out what was confusing.
(2020-12-28, 10:19)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-28, 09:13)DarkKnight939 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to read the Kodi wiki but it was too confusing and frankly, jumbled up
Which pages? Tell me what was confusing and I will try to fix. But I need you to point out what was confusing.
https://kodi.wiki/view/SMB
https://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP
Please help me Karellen, provide me a step by step way to how to share files
First I need you to tell me what was confusing and what you had trouble understanding.
First point is that media from UPNP sources cannot be scraped into the library.

It can be used as a simple playback source, but you can't add anything from those sources to the library of the device.

SMB (or NFS) on the other hand should be able to be used as sources whose content can be added to the library.
Where are the files held? what type of device is it? and has a file sharing service such as smb been enabled on the device where the files are held?
(2020-12-28, 13:39)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Where are the files held? what type of device is it? and has a file sharing service such as smb been enabled on the device where the files are held?

They are held in your typical hard disk directory it is a windows 7 laptop, and please tell how can I enable smb for any file. Also I want to share it to my Android device
(2020-12-28, 10:49)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]First I need you to tell me what was confusing and what you had trouble understanding.

How should I configure my device into either a UNnP server and recognise it to my Android device,with kodi android or using NFS/SMB.
(2020-12-28, 12:33)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]First point is that media from UPNP sources cannot be scraped into the library.

It can be used as a simple playback source, but you can't add anything from those sources to the library of the device.

SMB (or NFS) on the other hand should be able to be used as sources whose content can be added to the library.

OK, but how to use SMB/NFS/UNnP
Google is your friend here - LMGTFY...

This part is all outside of Kodi on the laptop or whatever where the files are residing - there are any number of tutorials on the web as to how to share files by SMB. The link above is one example of it.

Then within Kodi you set up your source and point it at that SMB share. Details for doing that are on the wiki.
(2020-12-28, 14:44)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Google is your friend here - LMGTFY...

This part is all outside of Kodi on the laptop or whatever where the files are residing - there are any number of tutorials on the web as to how to share files by SMB. The link above is one example of it.

Then within Kodi you set up your source and point it at that SMB share. Details for doing that are on the wiki.
My man, it is for only for pc to pc, I need pc to android phone. Help me
😁😁😁😁
You're trying to set up the server side of things, which is the PC bit. That's all the same regardless of what's on the other end, and is detailed in the link (and many other available on the web if you use your search engine of choice).

On the Android side (the client bit, in this case Kodi), that's covered on the wiki you've already been given links for.