Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: fps capped to 23.98?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i noticed that in the latest builds, whenever i try to play some content (it can be a projectm visualization or a video or anything) the output fps is capped to 23.98
it's no problem with the visualizations but it's a BIG problem with videos, as the 23.98 limit makes all my (PAL) videos skip frames from time to time making the video play choppy
i'm going to try witht he win version and let you know if it has the same behaviour
ahem... solved...it was me who somehow put x at 1920x1080 24hz, so the output was capped at 24 fps... setting it back at 60 hz solved all Smile
Curious where did you make this change? As I read this I noticed I have the same issue. Outside XBMC the video drivers say 1920x1080 at 60hz. But inside XBMC its set to 30hz.

Thanks in advance
Yes i have also noticed this, pal (25fps) videos stutter if you have the refresh rate at 24fps (in ubuntu's preferences), i guess i'd expect this.

Also, a bluray rip (24fps) seems to play more smoothly at 24fps than 25fps, (it's difficult to tell though, maybe i've just convinced myself Eek ) again as i'd expect.

The question i would have is this....

In the future once more important coding tasks are taken care of, would it technically be possible for XBMC to alter the refresh rate automatically based on the selected media, or would this have to be manual, or am i totally missing something?

Another oddity i've noticed is that playing a bd rip at 25fps refresh will cause slight (i think) juddering but drop 0 frames. Meanwhile playing the same file with 24fps refresh will report many dropped frames per second but look perfect.

I guess i should report this last one as a bug, can anyone reproduce?

I'm using SVN 14725 via PPA, Hardy 8.04 x86.

Shorty
@ Irish - The setting can be changed by going to "screen resolution" under the preferences menu. Also the 30hz and 60hz will be the same thing i believe, just a different (incorrect?) way of reporting it as i remember.

Also you will find the refresh is (normally at least) double the actual frames per second, for example Pal is 25fps played at 50hz and NTSC is ~30fps played at 60hz.

One thing i'm not sure about is bluray, i know it's 24fps but i don't think it plays at 48hz..... i do know that some TV's can do 120hz and play bluray and ntsc perfectly (120 is devisable by both 30 and 24), while other displays cannot handle 24fps properly and so will always have some judder with bluray.

On my system the refresh rate i select does not even reflect the refresh reported by my projector, for example i choose 1920x1080 @115hz and my projector tells me 1920x1080 @50hz, anyone else experience a similar weirdness (or is it just the difference between horizontal/vertical refresh)....... this could be the reason behind the problem in my last post.

Shorty