Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Play back of FLAC and OGG files fails on some devices and not others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I also have the issue that flac and ogg files are not played on some of my Kodi systems but on other they are played. So the tagging shouldn't be the cause. What else can it be?

A pastebin can be found here.
@sindbad6 have split into own thread as you issue sounds different from the tagging problem that you tacked your post onto

The debug log shows playback using the Librespot addon (so I assume of a Spotify stream?) giving error
Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )

Since it is the addon that is managing the connection, I would suspect that the connection error is in the Librespot addon and not Kodi itself.
(2020-12-30, 09:58)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]@sindbad6 have split into own thread as you issue sounds different from the tagging problem that you tacked your post onto

The debug log shows playback using the Librespot addon (so I assume of a Spotify stream?) giving error
Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )

Since it is the addon that is managing the connection, I would suspect that the connection error is in the Librespot addon and not Kodi itself.
Thanks for splitting it. Seems a good idea.

It was not a Spotify stream. The files comes over SMB from a NAS and mp3 from the same source works pretty well. To be sure I deinstalled Librespot and the Server addon using it, but nothing changed. The pastebin can be found here

The crazy thing is, it works with one of my LE 9.2 on a RPi2, but not with the others, which use a RPi3B+. But this can't be the cause.
OK, then I need a log file with debugging turned on, it can be enabled from settings > system > logging, and also enable component specific logging for the "SMB library", "ffmpeg" and "audio".

A log from the RPi that works as well as one that does not could help, both attempting to play the same music file. Keep the logs small by just playing a single song.
Hi DaveBlake,

here you get the Log-file from the system where it not works with flac. I tried flac and played mp3.

And here the Log of the system, where flac is played is expected or wanted. Big Grin

And thanks for your support!

With regards
Sindbad6

PS: The pastebin via LE/System failed this time on both systems. Don't know why, maybe the files are too big with debug logging.
Unfortunately that didn't tell me as much as I hoped, but let's see if we can deduce anything.

I note that
host "LibreELEC05"  has LibreELEC 9.2.4 (Kodi 18.8) and plays the song
host "LibreELEC04"  has LibreELEC 9.2.6 (Kodi 18.9) gives error Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )

A read error is occuring, but both run the same version of ffmpeg, so it can't be that.
I don't think there are any Samba changes in Kodi 18.8 to 18.9, but it is possible that LibreElec has an OS level change, or I guess it could relate to variations in how the Samba drive is mounted on the different devices.

Does host "LibreELEC04"  have problems playing all files on that smb drive or just some of them?
If you install LibreELEC 9.2.4 on that device does the problem go away?
(2020-12-31, 16:28)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately that didn't tell me as much as I hoped, but let's see if we can deduce anything.

I note that
host "LibreELEC05"  has LibreELEC 9.2.4 (Kodi 18.8) and plays the song
host "LibreELEC04"  has LibreELEC 9.2.6 (Kodi 18.9) gives error Read - Error( -1, 103, Software caused connection abort )

A read error is occuring, but both run the same version of ffmpeg, so it can't be that.
I don't think there are any Samba changes in Kodi 18.8 to 18.9, but it is possible that LibreElec has an OS level change, or I guess it could relate to variations in how the Samba drive is mounted on the different devices.

Does host "LibreELEC04"  have problems playing all files on that smb drive or just some of them?
If you install LibreELEC 9.2.4 on that device does the problem go away?
LibreELEC04 plays all mp3-files, but any flac or ogg-files. All of them are stored on the same smb drive.
I installed LE 9.2.4 on LibreELEC04, but no change. mp3 is played, flac not.

The behaviour is crazy, I know, because it seems, that it can't be related to the smb connection while mp3 is played. It also shouldn't belonging to FFmpeg because it is the same version both systems. Can it be, that there is another Addon making the trouble?
Yes, the behaviour is crazy.
It is probably worth providing a debug log with "SMB library", "ffmpeg" and "audio" components enabled, of FLAC failing to play on your "LibreELEC04" device with LE 9.2.4 so I can make a straight comparison with that for "LibreELEC05"
(2021-01-03, 11:56)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the behaviour is crazy.
It is probably worth providing a debug log with "SMB library", "ffmpeg" and "audio" components enabled, of FLAC failing to play on your "LibreELEC04" device with LE 9.2.4 so I can make a straight comparison with that for "LibreELEC05"

I tought I did it, but was wrong. Hopefully I did it better this time:

LibreELEC04
LibreELEC05
Found this in LibreELEC05 which is missed in the other Log-file of LibreELEC4 which is not working. Don't know what difference this makes, but it seems to make a difference.

Code:

2021-01-03 20:59:33.713 T:1937395728 DEBUG: CPlayerGUIInfo::InitCurrentItem(musicdb://recentlyplayedalbums/8474/251650.flac?albumid=8474)
2021-01-03 20:59:33.808 T:1707008896 DEBUG: Skin Helper Service --> Kodi_Monitor: sender xbmc - method: Info.OnChanged - data: null
2021-01-03 20:59:33.808 T:1707008896 DEBUG: Skin Helper Service --> Kodi_Monitor: sender xbmc - method: Player.OnPlay - data: {"item":{"id":251650,"type":"song"},"player":{"playerid":0,"speed":1}}
2021-01-03 20:59:33.816 T:1937395728 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
True, LibreELEC05 has Skin Helper Service script installed and running while LibreELEC04 does not. That script should not impact play back in any way, but since we are in "crazy land" you could go into addons on LibreELEC05 and disable it just to see if that brings a play back of flac issue on 05 too. I'm sure it shouldn't but try it.

LibreELEC04 only has
Code:
CFileCache::Open - opening <FRITZ.NAS/ASMT-2105-00/audio/musik/alben/Anthony Hamilton/[2014] Home for the Holidays/Anthony Hamilton - Home for the Holidays -- 01 - It's Christmas.flac> using cache
so it is using file cache and 05 isn't. I am going to have to investigate that some more.

I also note:
in 04
ffmpeg[6B2F4380]: [flac] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 476687 bytes read:472550 seeks:1 nb_streams:2
in 05
ffmpeg[6BBFA380]: [flac] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 476687 bytes read:533990 seeks:0 nb_streams:2
but I have no idea if reading more bytes is of any significance.

My other wild suggestion is would it be possible to try a different SD card in LibreELEC04. There have been users with odd issues that went away with a new SD card, you would think it would either work or not, but it turns out that corrupt cards can do odd things.
I deactivated the skin helper addon, but no change. Flac is still played on LibreELEC05. At least, this is what we expected.

I also understand what you mean with the SD-Card issue, but I didn't use another one yet. Instead I tested the behaviour on Kodi installed on my Android phone and on my Linux Mint Laptop. On both the same result, they don't play the flac-files. So it seems not belonging to a corrupted SD-Card. I tested then the access on Linux Mint independent from Kodi. What shall I say, flac is working. No idea how that is possible.

I partly copied settings in the advancedsettings.xml from one system to the others. Can it be, that there is a failure in it?
I solved it. I don't what exactly it is, but I found in the advancedsettings.xml of the working system the settings below and copied them to one of the not working and it was playing the flac-file.  It is long time ago, that I was working on this and therefore I have no exact idea what is the important setting and what it is changing, but it works. Maybe later I will check what I'm really doing there.

xml:

<network>
                <buffermode>1</buffermode>
                <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
                <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
        </network>
        <pvr>
                <minvideocachelevel>30</minvideocachelevel>
                <minaudiocachelevel>30</minaudiocachelevel>
        </pvr>

Thanks a lot for your help DaveBlake! Even if I find it myself, without your thinkings and comments I wouldn't have work on it and found the solution. So thanks again patient.
Ok, I was wrong the entry which makes the trouble was the one below. I don't know why, but activating/deactivating it switch on/off the bad behaviour.
xml:

<cache>
                <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        </cache>
Not sure, but I think we've had something similar before, as the above seems to have triggered a vague recollection of a plackback issue solved by removing something in advancedsettings.xml
Pages: 1 2