Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Shield 2019 + Philips OLED only 8 bit @yuv 4:2:2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello,

i use a new philips oled-tv 48OLED935 in combination with a nvidia shield tube 2019. i have installed the latest software/firmware for both devices and i set "hdmi ultra hd" to “optimal” within the philips tv options. i have the following problem:

I set the shield to the color space yuv 4:2:0, according to the shield a bit depth of 10 bit is output. when I look at the corresponding statistics on my tv, I also see 10 bit. so far everything is fine. 

due to the switching of resolutions and video frequencies of the shield (resp. kodi), the shield sends practically all material in the color space 4:2:2. according to the shield, this should be output in a bit depth of 12 bit. on my tv, however, 8 bit are always displayed for yuv 4:2:2. this is obviously wrong, at least for hdr at least 10 bit are necessary.

does anyone have an idea what this is? thanks in advance for your help!
Google for „RGB Tunneling“. If this is what you mean, it works as designed. Wink

Regards Hoppel
(2021-01-04, 16:59)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]Google for „RGB Tunneling“. If this is what you mean, it works as designed. Wink

Regards Hoppel

thank you for your answer but i think you're wrong. what you mean refers to dolby vision. in this case, the color space is set to rgb. this is also what i see on my tv with dolby vision rgb/8 bit, and that's correct. 

but i am talking about the color space yuv 4:2:2. set your shield to this color space (resolution/frequency doesn't matter) and let the tv (if the tv supports it) show you the stats/bite depth (but without starting a video). for me it shows: yuv4:2:2, 8 bit. but in my opinion yuv4:2:2, 12 bit should be correct.
Hi,
I checked that. Yes, you are right. It's the same for me, even though I use an LG OLED C9.

I don't know if this is a Shield bug or intended.

Regards Hoppel