Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Singles and Singles node
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!
I have been using Kodi (XBMC) for all my music since more than 10 years and I love it.
I rip all my CD's now to FLAC and scan them in Kodi to the Music database.
The only thing I have never been satisfied with is how it handles Singles.
I finally started to look into creating my own nodes in Kodi and now I have a way to handle my Singles and I am now very pleased with it.
It unfortunately means that I have to retag all my Singles but as long as it works the way I want it's good.

I have added the tag RELEASETYPE to the Mp3tag software and I use Single as the RELEASETYPE.
In the Kodi music database Single should be written to the column strType.
I have edited the "Albums" node to "doesnotcontain" value "Single" and my own created node Singles to "contains" value "Single"
This has worked great but for some reason now alot of the singles doesn't get RELASETYPE written to column strType.

I have finally maybe found what is the difference in the singles.
It seems that only FLAC works and MP3 singles doesn't get added to strType column.
Is this how it should work?
From what I remember a Single in Kodi is defined as anything that doesn't have a Album tag.
(2021-01-08, 19:07)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that only FLAC works and MP3 singles doesn't get added to strType column.
It is a matter of using the right tag, and just to make life interesting these are different for different tagging formats AND different tagging software  have different names displayed on their UI for some tags. Anyway for ID3 v2.4 format (mp3 files) you a trying to add a custom tag called "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE", if you do that then the values will go into strType when scanned.

As for your approach, well sorry that default singles handling doesn't give you want you want. I have to admit I don't have any singles in my music collection so it has not recieved any attention from me. But I am glad to see you making use of the stored strType (via RELEASETYPE/MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE tags) to get what you want Smile
(2021-01-08, 20:24)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]From what I remember a Single in Kodi is defined as anything that doesn't have a Album tag.
Yes I know that. That's how I have used it earlier but I had no good way to group a single's all songs together.
The only way for me was to name each song with the Single's name first. But I didn't really like that.

But now with my new own created Singles node it works fine except for now only some of the singles I scan writes to the strType column in the database.
Of course I can edit the database afterwards and it works.
I try to keep things simple and put all my Singles their own folder then all my Albums also go into their own separate folder, then I simply create nodes that include a filter on path rule.
(2021-01-08, 20:37)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-08, 19:07)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems that only FLAC works and MP3 singles doesn't get added to strType column.
It is a matter of using the right tag, and just to make life interesting these are different for different tagging formats AND different tagging software  have different names displayed on their UI for some tags. Anyway for ID3 v2.4 format (mp3 files) you a trying to add a custom tag called "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE", if you do that then the values will go into strType when scanned.

As for your approach, well sorry that default singles handling doesn't give you want you want. I have to admit I don't have any singles in my music collection so it has not recieved any attention from me. But I am glad to see you making use of the stored strType (via RELEASETYPE/MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE tags) to get what you want Smile
Ok thanks for your fast answer. As I said the only thing I have found that differs is that the Singles that work are in FLAC format.
Of course I can edit the database after I have scanned them and when I have retagged all my singles this will probably not be a problem anymore because then all singles scanned will be FLAC.
I just wondered if this was known to only work on FLAC files.
I use Mp3tag v2.97 at the moment and it didn't have the tag RELEASETYPE available so I had to add it manually and it seemed to work fine until now when a lot of singles doesn't get the value Single written to strType.

Anyway I'm happy to have found a way finally. Haven't looked into editing or creating my own nodes before.
I like it and plan to add some more of my own nodes.
Maybe trying another tagging software can solve this also?
(2021-01-08, 20:59)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]I use Mp3tag v2.97 at the moment and it didn't have the tag RELEASETYPE available so I had to add it manually and it seemed to work fine until now when a lot of singles doesn't get the value Single written to strType.
Yeap, those will be the mp3 ones. Add a "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" to those.

Otherwise missing ALBUM tag and Kodi takes it as a single (shown on singles node) but not as flexible on custom node making as your bespoke approach, or as the source/path suggestion if you store them separately
(2021-01-08, 20:57)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]I try to keep things simple and put all my Singles their own folder then all my Albums also go into their own separate folder, then I simply create nodes that include a filter on path rule.

Yes I have all my Singles in a separate Singles folder also.
I have now this filter and it works great.
I'm pleased but a lot of the singles now doesn't write the releasetype to the database.
Not a big problem but was just wondering if it was a known problem. I can edit the database after I scan the Singles.

<content>albums</content>
    <rule field="type" operator="contains">
        <value>Single</value>
(2021-01-08, 21:04)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-08, 20:59)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]I use Mp3tag v2.97 at the moment and it didn't have the tag RELEASETYPE available so I had to add it manually and it seemed to work fine until now when a lot of singles doesn't get the value Single written to strType.

Otherwise missing ALBUM tag and Kodi takes it as a single (shown on singles node) but not as flexible on custom node making as your bespoke approach.
Ok brillant! I  will try "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" also on mp3's.
Thanks!

Otherwise missing ALBUM tag and Kodi takes it as a single (shown on singles node) but not as flexible on custom node making as your bespoke approach, or as the source/path suggestion if you store them separately
I added "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" as a tag to the Mp3tag software and it works now.
The only thing is that I can't see in Mp3tag that I have the tag saved because the value isn't visible after I click save.
But anyway it works.
Thanks DaveBlake for the help!
(2021-01-08, 21:27)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]

I added "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE" as a tag to the Mp3tag software and it works now.
The only thing is that I can't see in Mp3tag that I have the tag saved because the value isn't visible after I click save.
But anyway it works.
Thanks DaveBlake for the help!
I think you can maybe fix that by using tools / options / tag /mapping and set a map for ID3v2 source MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE and target RELEASETYPE

scott s.
Edit: I think I have to check my tags again. Maybe I'm wrong about this post. I'll check and get back.

I updated to Kodi v19.0 "Matrix" today but now a rescan of tags for all music is required and a lot has changed for me now.
Especially my solution to handle singles has stopped working.
One problem I have now is that it seems that all FLAC songs that I have tagged with RELEASETYPE = Single to write to the strType column now is blank in the database.
MP3 songs with the tag MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE=Single is still working.

Why has the strType column with FLAC songs now been deleted?
Is this supposed to happen?
Can't I use RELEASETYPE=Single anymore for FLAC songs?
(2021-02-21, 17:26)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: I think I have to check my tags again. Maybe I'm wrong about this post. I'll check and get back.
Yep, I don't think anything has changed with regard to RELEASETYPE/MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE tag
(2021-02-21, 20:52)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-21, 17:26)Depeche72 Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: I think I have to check my tags again. Maybe I'm wrong about this post. I'll check and get back.
Yep, I don't think anything has changed with regard to RELEASETYPE/MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE tag

I think I have found the problem. I have a lot of singles that I couldn't tag with RELEASETYPE=Single for some reason so I had to edit strType in the database.

I'm currently going through the albums because the total number of albums differ from the MyMusic72.db and this new MyMusicdb82.db and also total songs and artists isn't the same.
I have found another problem for me also.
The iyear column is replaced with strReleaseDate and strOrigReleaseDate.
What is the source for these years?
How can I get the year I have tagged my MP3 and FLAC with?
The problem now is that some records get the wrong release year.
Ah, doing manual db edits is going to be lost on a rescan.

I can't think of a reason why number of albums would differ on a rescan, interested if you can identify more details about that.

Your year issue I discuss on the separate thread that you created for it, year tag data is still read just now in full (rather than YYYY only) and stored differently.
Pages: 1 2