Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Testflight access to beta version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2022-10-27, 06:43)Buschel Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:New regression on iPadOS 16. When in full screen landscape album browsing and selecting an individual album, the screen now auto-rotates to portrait. Quite disturbing 

Confirmed, happens with iOS 16, but not older versions. It is not solved when compiling with new Xcode 14.

@kambala, any idea where to look at, or how to block this rotation?

I know that there were changes regarding rotation in Xcode 14 / iOS 16 SDK, but idk how to adjust that without upgrading to the new Xcode. Also I don't have an iPad running 16.
It is happening on iPad simulator as well (that‘s how I tested). We could make this part of Xcode 14 migration, if there is no other way to control this behavior.
Thanks for confirming the items. I’m glad the feedback was well received despite there being so many of them. My only regret is not looking at the iPad version before the most recent release. Now everyone stuck on old versions of iOS won’t get fixed for these. Most of them are simple cosmetic issues though so not that big of a deal.

I will edit this post with a screenshot of #5 later.

I will echo @UlfSchmidt remark about the layout and organization of the iPad version. While I’m certainly not a target user, I did not really like the iPad experience. It looked like it wasn’t given the same amount of thought that the iPhone version had.

For example the playlist window felt cramped and is actually smaller than on an iPhone. The volume buttons don’t have a slider at the bottom strip but there is clearly a way to free up space. The way the overlay window slides over content and further pulls out more overlays starts to feel a little confusing. I had many instances where I could not reliably flick these windows back out of view. Again, I don’t see myself using the iPad version other than to report bugs so none of this bothers me. Just my two cents. 🙂

Edit: here’s the tv show issue.

Also I noticed another strange thing. While I’m full screen mode, if you tap on say a movie you get a green outline around the box art.
Completely agree with @amasephy 's thoughts on the iPad version. Smile
Also big thanks as always to @Buschel for being so responsive and for taking care immediately.
I could already work on a few of the issues, fix some or have a local solution where I need some more time and discussion.

(0) unwanted rotation on iPad with iOS16 when selecting an item in fullscreen mode -> local fix available, needs some disucssion
(1) cancel button missing in searchbar on iPad while not active -> Fixed
(2) unwanted highlighting of remote in iPad main menu -> local fix available, needs some discussion as well
(3) weird behaviour when pressing remote's gear in iPad fullscreen -> Fixed
(4) fanart bigger than active screen on iPad -> local solution available, but needs more time on my side as I am not convinced yet. But already good enough as a hot fix.
(5) Open
(6) Open
(7) flickering playlist om long pressing burger in edit mode -> Fixed
(8) Open
(9) Open
(2022-10-28, 07:52)Buschel Wrote: [ -> ]I could already work on a few of the issues, fix some or have a local solution where I need some more time and discussion.

Thank you!
I expect that you will make some interim App version available via TestFlight in order to support these discussions?
First, I need to check with @kambala, if there are other ways to implement / fix some of the issues. Then this can be brought into a PR and test build. For example the current local workaround for the remote main menu highlighting still is a bit off. When you click the remote menu item, it is first highlighted shortly, then the selection falls back to the former selected one. From a usability point of view, this is clearly better than before, but it still looks like an unwanted glitch.
Very good. I appreciate your professional approach.
(2022-10-27, 12:23)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: here’s the tv show issue.
Which iPad model is this?
(2022-10-27, 12:23)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]Also I noticed another strange thing. While I’m full screen mode, if you tap on say a movie you get a green outline around the box art.=#ffffff 
That's a feature. The selected item is highlighted. Smile
I thought the green outline could be a feature. May be a little petty but it seems like a nice glowing outline would look a lot nicer than a very thin green outline that looks like it came from the green CRT screen days.

iPad 8th Gen. 10.2” screen.
(5) thumbs overlapping TVShow text -> Wow, this was bad. Working on this I even could reproduce another bug (dark text on dark background) when TVShow banners cannot be loaded and the App is using Light Mode. In addition, the TVShow grid view had wrong layout for the default thumbs as well. You can check this out in GitHub #750. But this definitely needs more testing.
I always forget about light mode. So, it goes without saying I have never tested anything in light mode. Maybe I should poke at it every now and then.

My apologies for giving you so much to work on. Happy to hear you are finding solutions. We really appreciate all of your hard work and volunteered time!

Edit: is there a way to enable light mode without setting the OS to light mode?
(2022-10-29, 02:28)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]is there a way to enable light mode without setting the OS to light mode?

by default it's possible only in development environment. The remote doesn't have a dedicated option for that either.
(0) Fixed. (unwanted rotation on iPad with iOS16 when selecting an item in fullscreen mode)
(1) Fixed (cancel button missing in searchbar on iPad while not active)
(2) Fixed (unwanted highlighting of remote in iPad main menu)
(3) Fixed (weird behaviour when pressing remote's gear in iPad fullscreen)
(4) Fixed (fanart bigger than active screen on iPad)
(5) Fixed (TVShow default thumbs overlap with text, TVShow text unreadable in light mode when falling back to default thumbs, TVShow default thumbs mis-layout for poster view)
(6) Not gonna change now (complicated and too much work, I tried this already once)
(7) Fixed (flickering playlist om long pressing burger in edit mode)
(8) Open (but not an important issue to solve, it's a race condition when editing a playlist, results in showing delete icon for the current playing/selected item when "edit" is pressed before the item is animated to show as selected)
(9) Not gonna change now (support iPad fullscreen for more items)

For the fixed issues PRs were already raised and the discussion for some of those is already going on. Smile
@Buschel , would you mind adding a light/dark mode option in the App settings menu?