Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sorting live TV and recording playback garbled image issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have two linux Mint desktopĀ  pc's and one R/Pi installed with official (I believe) kodi.
1st pc System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:202001024-0655c2c715 Compiled: 2020-10-24.
2nd pc System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:202001024-0655c2c718 Compiled: 2020-10-24.
The Pi System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:newclock5_18.9-Leia Compiled: 2020-10-25.

All have TVHeadend and Mythtv addon backends

When I use kodi on the second pc to stream live tv or play back recordings from either backend (with the other disabled) the picture is garbled
screenshot here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dgAtZ0l...sp=sharing

On the same pc I can stream direct from either backend to Celluloid and it plays perfectly both live TV and recordings

The first pc and the pi stream through kodi without any issues

To me (happy to be corrected) that says the the issue is with Kodi install/setup on the 2nd pc. I can't see anywhere in the set up to make changes and I've tried searching these forums and google (perhaps with wrong keywords) and not found an answer, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I should be looking for a solution or suggest keywords i should use to search with that would be great.
Thanks
(2021-01-16, 14:55)miniyard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-14, 23:24)miniyard Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I have two linux Mint desktopĀ  pc's and one R/Pi installed with official (I believe) kodi.
1st pc System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:202001024-0655c2c715 Compiled: 2020-10-24.
2nd pc System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:202001024-0655c2c718 Compiled: 2020-10-24.
The Pi System info screen says Version info - Build: Kodi 18.9 (18.9.0) Git:newclock5_18.9-Leia Compiled: 2020-10-25.

All have TVHeadend and Mythtv addon backends

When I use kodi on the second pc to stream live tv or play back recordings from either backend (with the other disabled) the picture is garbled
screenshot here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dgAtZ0l...sp=sharing

On the same pc I can stream direct from either backend to Celluloid and it plays perfectly both live TV and recordings

The first pc and the pi stream through kodi without any issues

To me (happy to be corrected) that says the the issue is with Kodi install/setup on the 2nd pc. I can't see anywhere in the set up to make changes and I've tried searching these forums and google (perhaps with wrong keywords) and not found an answer, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I should be looking for a solution or suggest keywords i should use to search with that would be great.
Thanks
I've found the cure, even though I don't fully understand what was happening - let me explain
I went through every setting in kodi I could find - not realising initially that each setting page had a standard, advanced and expert version
I tend to leave advanced settings at default normally anyway as I don't consider myself Advanced or Expert
When I arrived at the Expert version of the Sytem/Player/Videos/Processing settings I found these settings

Allow hardware acceleration - VAAPI
- Use MPEG-2 VAAPI
- Use MPEG-4 VAAPI
- Use VC-1 VAAPI
- Use VP8 VAAPI
- Use VP9 VAAPI
- Use HEVC VAAPI

They were all enabled (default)
Turning off - Use MPEG-2 VAAPI cured the problem

I'm not sure why they would all be on or how the system chooses which to use as that's beyond my current knowledge but I'm now a happy chappy and a little more knowledgeable as a side effect, namely don't assume Default Expert settings will be what you need
Thread marked solved.

Because you are new to this forum, some anti-spam restrictions are active.
These restrictions will vanish after a number of posts and over time.
(2021-01-16, 15:19)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Thread marked solved.

Because you are new to this forum, some anti-spam restrictions are active.
These restrictions will vanish after a number of posts and over time.

Thanks