Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android app for controlling music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to buy a Vero 4k+ for a friend to connect to a home stereo and to use the Vero strictly as a music playback device. Are there apps that run on Android phones that will allow him to see all folders on a USB drive connected to the Vero and then play that music through his stereo? In other words, the phone will be used strictly as a controller with no music being pushed from the phone to the Kodi (the key is to eliminate the need to have a monitor connected to the Vero).

Thanks from this newbie!
You can do a lot controlling Kodi from apps like Yatse, but as someone that uses Kodi a lot as a music player (with TV off) I still end up with the odd configuration need that can only be done from Kodi GUI. Kodi is not yet "headless", but as a music player it can get very near. The issue is that is there is a problem it can be hard to analyse or fix without a monitor attached.
(2021-01-15, 20:05)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]You can do a lot controlling Kodi from apps like Yatse, but as someone that uses Kodi a lot as a music player (with TV off) I still end up with the odd configuration need that can only be done from Kodi GUI. Kodi is not yet "headless", but as a music player it can get very near. The issue is that is there is a problem it can be hard to analyse or fix without a monitor attached.

Thanks for the quick response!

Do problems come up regularly if the user is using the Kodi strictly as a music player? My concern is that the friend is really computer illiterate and will throw his hands up if anything goes awry. My son is very PC savvy and we are hoping to set everything up for the friend in advance.
I use Yatse to play 99% of the music I'm listening to. As my kodi instance is running on a server (with using snapcast to provide the audio to different devices) that has a monitor which is switched off 99% of the time, I do not need the GUI!
There also is Kore as a remote app. Compare both and decide yourself which to use.
(2021-01-15, 20:10)PaulW61 Wrote: [ -> ]Do problems come up regularly if the user is using the Kodi strictly as a music player?
No, it is pretty stable once setup. I generally had Kodi running 24/7 for weeks at a time on RPi without need for GUI, but would bounce the power every now and then.

However you would need GUI to setup remote app access to Kodi initially, and some graphics/audio settings.
The Vero products run an OS based on Debian Linux distro I think, so maybe check out out on their forum whether there's any remote desktop/login software e.g. vnc that can be run on the Vero.