Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is Matrix coming to Xbox One?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been using Kodi on my Xbox One for as long as it's been available. I love it, and it works great. 

I'm hearing rumors that there might not be a Matrix update for the Xbox One, and I'm not finding anything here in the forums to answer this definitively one way or the other.

Will Matrix be made available on the Xbox?  I saw that the RC has recently been released, and I'd love to test an Xbox version of it.

Thanks much!
Yes a UWP release is planned, however the exact state of Kodi UWP is unknown other than that it still builds. Pretty much no one uses it on the PC anymore and despite builds being available on our mirrors that could be download, side loading on the Xbox requires using Dev Mode which can be a pain in the arse from what I understand. The correct way would be to setup a Beta Test channel in the Windows Store, however no one of the Team knows how to do this and has been willing to put in the time on it.
(2021-01-18, 21:09)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Yes a UWP release is planned, however the exact state of Kodi UWP is unknown other than that it still builds. Pretty much no one uses it on the PC anymore and despite builds being available on our mirrors that could be download, side loading on the Xbox requires using Dev Mode which can be a pain in the arse from what I understand. The correct way would be to setup a Beta Test channel in the Windows Store, however no one of the Team knows how to do this and has been willing to put in the time on it.
I have a developer account for the Xbox. If I were to learn how to create a channel, what would it take for you (Team Kodi) to support a beta channel that I create for this?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding the Matrix build of the UWP version.  What is the URL?  I looked at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/uwp64/master/ and https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windows/uwp64/.  However, both have a bunch of nightly builds, and I'm looking for the one, single, Matrix RC1 build.  The main folder for UWP (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/UWP/) seems to have only the latest Leia build.
Sorry but that's no good. It would have to be a Test channel setup on our existing account that we use to push out Stable builds, as we'd want access to the dashboard to see this like crash reports, usage etc. It's just that no one has worked out how to push Beta's to those who sign up to a Test channel, while leaving everyone else receiving the stable build. If you know how to do this or can point to some step by step instructions somewhere then that would be helpful, but no promises as the people with Store access have very limited time.
Ok.  I get that.  If I wanted to submit the RC1 build to my own private channel, where can I download the Matrix RC1 build from?  What is the URL?  I looked at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/uwp64/master/ and https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windows/uwp64/.  However, both have a bunch of nightly builds, and I'm looking for the one, single, Matrix RC1 build.  The main folder for UWP (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/UWP/) seems to have only the latest Leia build.

And thank you very much for the information. I'll continue to look for the kind of information that you said your team is lacking.  If I discover more that could be of help, I'll be sure to pass it on.  Thanks again!
The Github SHA of v19.0 RC1 is 90a1e128, and the unpackaged build can be found here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...r-x64.msix (similar location for .cer and .appsym files).

Testing of v19 on Xbox is very welcome.
(2021-01-18, 22:00)menkalos Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.  I get that.  If I wanted to submit the RC1 build to my own private channel, where can I download the Matrix RC1 build from?  What is the URL?  I looked at https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/uwp64/master/ and https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windows/uwp64/.  However, both have a bunch of nightly builds, and I'm looking for the one, single, Matrix RC1 build.  The main folder for UWP (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/UWP/) seems to have only the latest Leia build.

And thank you very much for the information. I'll continue to look for the kind of information that you said your team is lacking.  If I discover more that could be of help, I'll be sure to pass it on.  Thanks again!

@menkalos-  if you end up doing this do you have the ability to share the RC1 via your private channel to other users?
(2021-01-18, 19:21)menkalos Wrote: [ -> ][font][font]He estado usando Kodi en mi Xbox One durante el tiempo que ha estado disponible. [/font][font]Me encanta y funciona muy bien. [/font][/font]

[font][font]Escucho rumores de que podría no haber una actualización de Matrix para Xbox One, y no encuentro nada aquí en los foros para responder definitivamente de una forma u otra. [/font][/font]

[font][font]¿Matrix estará disponible en Xbox? [/font][font]Vi que el RC se lanzó recientemente y me encantaría probar una versión para Xbox. [/font][/font]

[font][font]¡Muchas gracias![/font][/font]
[font][font]Me uno a la petición de incluir Kodi Matrix en la Store para usarlo en XBOX. [/font][font]Por favor, hacer el esfuerzo equipo! Muchísimas gracias desde España!

I join the request to include Kodi Matrix in the Store to use it on XBOX. Please make the team effort! Thank you very much from Spain![/font][/font]
I double the request for a proper Insider channel for Matrix RCs on the Store. I have it installed on all home laptops and HTPCs (for DVB PVR), no xbox here, but it would be great to test it on laptops before it gets released to the HTPC. I can't go home installing Matrix on every PC, it's way easier for me to enroll my family store accounts as insiders.
What we want to be able to do is have a beta channel at Windows Store that users can opt-in to using at the store and receive the v19 Release Candidate version. Microsoft announced in a 2016 slideshow that such a feature was "coming soon", however it does not seem to have happened.

It looks like all that is possible is "flight packaging" for a known group of users, which means that we at Kodi have to get users to subscribe and then manage a list of users at the store. That is a tedious approach for an app with millions of users (and possibly testers) to administer securely, and at the moment we do not have any team members with the time spare to do that.

But no one among the active team members that is deeply familiar with app publication on Windows Store, maybe we have missed something?  While we can manage the basics of a full release to all users, doing "beta" is less clear. User requests really don't help at all, skilled volunteers might.
(2021-01-31, 11:24)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]What we want to be able to do is have a beta channel at Windows Store that users can opt-in to using at the store and receive the v19 Release Candidate version. Microsoft announced in a 2016 slideshow that such a feature was "coming soon", however it does not seem to have happened.

It looks like all that is possible is "flight packaging" for a known group of users, which means that we at Kodi have to get users to subscribe and then manage a list of users at the store. That is a tedious approach for an app with millions of users (and possibly testers) to administer securely, and at the moment we do not have any team members with the time spare to do that.

But no one among the active team members that is deeply familiar with app publication on Windows Store, maybe we have missed something?  While we can manage the basics of a full release to all users, doing "beta" is less clear. User requests really don't help at all, skilled volunteers might.

What about unskilled volunteers who are willing to learn and explore this for the team? Lol

On a serious note I did do some digging and found this page with a possible solution.

Windows Beta testing

There appears to be an option for a targeted distribution just using a URL to the apps location in the store. That would be easy to publish on the Kodi site

Quote: . No customers will be able to find the app by searching or browsing the Store, but anyone with the direct link to its Store listing can download it on a device running Windows Phone 8.1 or earlier, or on Windows 10. Keep in mind that in order for your testers to download the app at no cost, you must set its price to Free.
Well thanks for trying @jamma007, yeap unskilled efforts welcome too Smile

I think what you pointed at was "private audience" approach, unfortunately that can only be used for apps that are as yet unpublished. Kodi is a published app, so I don't think we can use it. I will look if there is an easy way to make a "new" app that we only do privately for testing v19, but I have a feeling that there will be some uniqueness rules preventing such a thing on the store. If there weren't then the prirates would have already put their many variants of Kodi on Windows Store too.
Kodi v19 stable is now out, do we know when the Xbox version is going to be released?

I use it with my Xbox Series X - I have a couple of bugs, one that 4k movies do not play (this is a known issue) and secondly it will start to lag incredibly.
We are holding back the release of v19 for Xbox in an attempt to do some testing rather than release it untested on that hardware. Trying to be considerate of all those users that have autoupdate enabled on their device. Assuming that goes well we will release on Windows Store as soon as we can.

Some great work was done to make Kodi work on Xbox, but Kodi is created and supported entirely by volunteers and the people that were involved are currently busy in real life. If anyone here has an MS dev account and is able to sideload then the UWP64 build files can be found here with SHA f44fdfbf. Help with testing by the wider community will enable us to move forwards faster.
(2021-02-21, 20:13)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]We are holding back the release of v19 for Xbox in an attempt to do some testing rather than release it untested on that hardware. Trying to be considerate of all those users that have autoupdate enabled on their device. Assuming that goes well we will release on Windows Store as soon as we can.

Some great work was done to make Kodi work on Xbox, but Kodi is created and supported entirely by volunteers and the people that were involved are currently busy in real life. If anyone here has an MS dev account and is able to sideload then the UWP64 build files can be found here with SHA f44fdfbf. Help with testing by the wider community will enable us to move forwards faster.

Hi Dave - last uwp nightly version I tested last week had no internet connectivity.

Said that internet was connected and had an IP address on my network with what looked like a valid DNS.... However could not connect it default Kodi repo or connect to my cloud server.

I don't have a log for you - however can get one if needed. Think it was throwing up SSL errors if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps a little. ( Probably not a lot haha)
Pages: 1 2 3