Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-02-14, 00:10)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-04, 18:17)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-04, 17:43)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]No I didn’t, I wanted to, but I have no knowledge and no expertise in remotely doing something like that. So I thought instead of bashing my head for weeks in doing so, I could just better wait till an experienced person can do it in maybe couple of min/hours.

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

A experienced person usually has a magic wand in his/her's pocket that builds things magically in a few seconds.

Can you imagine?
That's not the same exact work for everybody..

certain people can bypass the time and space continuum and just reach the result without having to pass by the work.

Me, as a veterinarian with my first kid to arrive in a few weeks, I'm lucky that I've found that magic wand around the house so I could skip the work part and just arrive at the result.

apologies, didn't know just the compiling takes a shit load of time! It took me forever to even prepare to even be able to do it. I can't even imagine you have to alter it, you need to compile again. granted I am using virtualbox and am not using full load, but still.

I have linux on a seconday ssd so compiling is faster on my i7 6700k at 4.5ghz but...
Linux has a very very nasty bug in it's kernel that I've seen people discussing: if you compile multiple times without a reboot it will get slower and slower.

Said that it might seem that I'm contradicting myself here but when you compile once, change something and compile it again, it's much faster.

I'm happy to see you gathering interested and trying it out, when it actually compiles it's a very nice feeling.
(2021-02-14, 00:39)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-04, 18:17)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's exactly how it works.

A experienced person usually has a magic wand in his/her's pocket that builds things magically in a few seconds.

Can you imagine?

certain people can bypass the time and space continuum and just reach the result without having to pass by the work.

Me, as a veterinarian with my first kid to arrive in a few weeks, I'm lucky that I've found that magic wand around the house so I could skip the work part and just arrive at the result.

apologies, didn't know just the compiling takes a shit load of time! It took me forever to even prepare to even be able to do it. I can't even imagine you have to alter it, you need to compile again. granted I am using virtualbox and am not using full load, but still.

I have linux on a seconday ssd so compiling is faster on my i7 6700k at 4.5ghz but...
Linux has a very very nasty bug in it's kernel that I've seen people discussing: if you compile multiple times without a reboot it will get slower and slower.

Said that it might seem that I'm contradicting myself here but when you compile once, change something and compile it again, it's much faster.

I'm happy to see you gathering interested and trying it out, when it actually compiles it's a very nice feeling.

maybe, using bootcamp on a ssd is the way to go indeed. I'm still making rookie mistakes. I have now installed ubuntu on a vm for the 3th time, because every time the amount of space I chose wasn't enough. Last compile I ran, it stopped at 93% because of space shortage. Now choose 35gb of virtual disk image... and starting all over.
(2021-02-04, 18:17)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's exactly how it works.

Can you imagine?

so which branch do I need to compile to get the dv version working for 18.9 32bit? Could you help me?
(2021-02-14, 01:14)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-14, 00:10)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]apologies, didn't know just the compiling takes a shit load of time! It took me forever to even prepare to even be able to do it. I can't even imagine you have to alter it, you need to compile again. granted I am using virtualbox and am not using full load, but still.

so which branch do I need to compile to get the dv version working for 18.9 32bit? Could you help me?

First, compile Kodi 18.9 32bits and check if it's working.

Next, you will need the commits from my github.

And this is the part that gets really tricky:
1. You will the need the changes made into ffmpeg.
The problem here is that Leia uses an old version of ffmpeg, so I don't know if you can just compile with the ffmpeg from my git or if you will need to take all the changes and port into an old version of ffmpeg used by Leia.

Scenario A: you can use my version and it will compile.
All you have to do is take the FFMPEG-VERSION file from my git and just use it when building the dependencies.
It will download mine and compile with that.

Scenario B: you can't use my version.
So, you will need to got into my ffmpeg github, look at the changes copy and paste those into the ffmpeg files and later create a tar.bz file, replace the one downloaded by Kodi, delete the files it compiled for ffmpeg and compile the dependencies again.

The scenario B is a pain, might have an easier method like just cherry picking the commit and creating your own fork of ffmpeg used by Leia but I'm terrible at git.

Now that you have a working ffmpeg you will need to get the changes made into Kodi itself.
Look at the latest commit on my git and you will have those, just again, copy and paste (green lines are new lines and red lines are lines that got deleted)

After that you should have everything set.
Sorry for not linking all the files mentioned here, I'm typing from my phone, I'm away from PC now.

As you can see, it's a pain in every way so let me ask you this @sk83 compiled a leia 32bits version.
It doesn't have the fall back method I used or the firestick changes made by quietvoid but it should work, mostly and hangs sometimes but it would work.

It's a trade off of how much work you have in front of you compared to a semi-working version.
(2021-02-14, 02:48)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-14, 01:14)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-14, 00:39)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]I have linux on a seconday ssd so compiling is faster on my i7 6700k at 4.5ghz but...

First, compile Kodi 18.9 32bits and check if it's working.

Next, you will need the commits from my github.

And this is the part that gets really tricky:
1. You will the need the changes made into ffmpeg.
The problem here is that Leia uses an old version of ffmpeg, so I don't know if you can just compile with the ffmpeg from my git or if you will need to take all the changes and port into an old version of ffmpeg used by Leia.

Scenario A: you can use my version and it will compile.
All you have to do is take the FFMPEG-VERSION file from my git and just use it when building the dependencies.
It will download mine and compile with that.

Scenario B: you can't use my version.
So, you will need to got into my ffmpeg github, look at the changes copy and paste those into the ffmpeg files and later create a tar.bz file, replace the one downloaded by Kodi, delete the files it compiled for ffmpeg and compile the dependencies again.

The scenario B is a pain, might have an easier method like just cherry picking the commit and creating your own fork of ffmpeg used by Leia but I'm terrible at git.

Now that you have a working ffmpeg you will need to get the changes made into Kodi itself.
Look at the latest commit on my git and you will have those, just again, copy and paste (green lines are new lines and red lines are lines that got deleted)

After that you should have everything set.
Sorry for not linking all the files mentioned here, I'm typing from my phone, I'm away from PC now.

As you can see, it's a pain in every way so let me ask you this @sk83 compiled a leia 32bits version.
It doesn't have the fall back method I used or the firestick changes made by quietvoid but it should work, mostly and hangs sometimes but it would work.

It's a trade off of how much work you have in front of you compared to a semi-working version.

That’s the thing, I haven’t found @sk83 leia 32bit version, I have only seen a 64bit version.
Oh my bad, than.

Figured he did a 32bits one.
So yeah, compiling is the only option.
(2021-02-14, 04:06)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my bad, than.

Figured he did a 32bits one.
So yeah, compiling is the only option.

Can't get 18.9 to compile, tried older ndk, still the same, cant get past  ...make -C tools/depends/target/cmakebuildsys even if I Managed to, I get error when I try to build it. so yeah... I don't know.
Are you getting the same error as me and quietvoid had?

Can you post the error here?
I remember googling it and this was very common but no answer has been found.
Can't remember from the top of my head but I believe I can get some ideas from Team Kodi.

At least I can ask, right? Smile
(2021-02-15, 00:28)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Are you getting the same error as me and quietvoid had?

Can you post the error here?
I remember googling it and this was very common but no answer has been found.
Can't remember from the top of my head but I believe I can get some ideas from Team Kodi.

At least I can ask, right? Smile

Going post it tomorrow, 👍
My mp4 DV files usually fail to play after a while (starting to stutter really bad and buffering). I have a SHIELD 2019 Pro. Does anyone have the same problem?
(2021-02-15, 21:48)ScratchInside Wrote: [ -> ]My mp4 DV files usually fail to play after a while (starting to stutter really bad and buffering). I have a SHIELD 2019 Pro. Does anyone have the same problem?

Could it be a SMB problem?
Personally the Shield gets on my nerves, you can have refresh rate app running on apps, refresh rate set in Kodi or change the system refresh rate to match but after a while that bitch starts to glitch...
GF most of the time can’t see it but it drives me mad, the internal clock is not tight.
Hi,
Tested 3 mkv DV made from my UHD BD collection with makemkv, work perfect on my Shield TV tube 2019 / smb  Wink
Thank you for all guys !!
(2021-02-16, 09:45)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-15, 21:48)ScratchInside Wrote: [ -> ]My mp4 DV files usually fail to play after a while (starting to stutter really bad and buffering). I have a SHIELD 2019 Pro. Does anyone have the same problem?

Could it be a SMB problem?
Personally the Shield gets on my nerves, you can have refresh rate app running on apps, refresh rate set in Kodi or change the system refresh rate to match but after a while that bitch starts to glitch...
GF most of the time can’t see it but it drives me mad, the internal clock is not tight.

I agree. The Shield is a love/hate sort of device. I watch everything at its native refresh rate and this thing requires a ton of tinkering to get it right. Outside of Kodi of course, there is no system wide refresh rate match so you have to mess around with another app just to make it work. I am just in the habit of rebooting the Shield whenever I want to watch TV to avoid these “glitches” for lack of a better term. It does play DV though Kodi though, so what can you do?
(2021-02-16, 17:00)Ogreen Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Tested 3 mkv DV made from my UHD BD collection with makemkv, work perfect on my Shield TV tube 2019 / smb  Wink

With KODI ? What version?
(2021-02-16, 23:30)Eboy36 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-16, 17:00)Ogreen Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

With KODI ? What version?
Hi,
page 1 of this topic Wink