Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you for compiling the latest build with your changes!!! much appreciated.

I think the opening post needs updating with the build date and link, no?
(2021-02-22, 14:19)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]I've also tested the build and it works as expected, it mostly works except sometimes the movie doesn't start, which we know is a problem with the Shield, hopefully the are on it, so probably with the next update it will be fixed.

I also tried the new build yesterday. For me it works like the previous dv build.

I still see microstuttering, when I set the Kodi default frame rate to 50fps. When it is set to 59.94fps everything works how it should. My tv shows the correct frame rate in both cases. Nevertheless in my opinion there is a Kodi frame rate issue in combination with dv content. If I play the dv movies in hdr with normal Kodi Matrix (without dv customization) everything is also really smooth.

If I find the time, I will generate debug logs.
(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]At long term what we need is to get FFmpeg support for DV MKV, do we know something if they are working on it?

Yes, now where Kodi Matrix is stable, we should look how to get the code to FFMPEG and later to Kodi 20.
(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks @fandangos for your work, and be prepared for the baby, mine has 16 months now, it's a beautiful experience, enjoy! Wink

My child is 20 month now. It was not always easy, but it gets better. Wink

@fandangos Thanks for all the work you investigated into this. Take the time you need for your family. Wish you all the best!

Regards Hoppel

Hi, when I play DV I set to resolution in the Shield to 23.976 with Dolby Vision enabeled. Almost every movie (with DV or HDR) is 23.976/24p. I am curious have you tried that and do you then have micro stutters?
(2021-02-23, 13:51)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]I've also tested the build and it works as expected, it mostly works except sometimes the movie doesn't start, which we know is a problem with the Shield, hopefully the are on it, so probably with the next update it will be fixed.

I also tried the new build yesterday. For me it works like the previous dv build.

I still see microstuttering, when I set the Kodi default frame rate to 50fps. When it is set to 59.94fps everything works how it should. My tv shows the correct frame rate in both cases. Nevertheless in my opinion there is a Kodi frame rate issue in combination with dv content. If I play the dv movies in hdr with normal Kodi Matrix (without dv customization) everything is also really smooth.

(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]At long term what we need is to get FFmpeg support for DV MKV, do we know something if they are working on it?

Yes, now where Kodi Matrix is stable, we should look how to get the code to FFMPEG and later to Kodi 20.
(2021-02-22, 12:41)siriusbox Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks @fandangos for your work, and be prepared for the baby, mine has 16 months now, it's a beautiful experience, enjoy! Wink

@fandangos Thanks for all the work you investigated into this. Take the time you need for your family. Wish you all the best!

Regards Hoppel

Hi, when I play DV I set to resolution in the Shield to 23.976 with Dolby Vision enabeled. Almost every movie (with DV or HDR) is 23.976/24p. I am curious have you tried that and do you then have micro stutters?
In kodi it can also be modified or only in shield? I can't find where in kodi
About micro stuttering:

Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz.
There's no reason to use 23hz in Kodi OSD.

There's no need to use any resolution in whitelist, unless you have an external upscaler like the Envy by Madshi.

Let kodi with the default resolution to 4k 60hz.

Enable change refresh rate.
And set on start/stop.

From day one that I have build the first apk there's no micro stuttering except in a very very specific use case like Hoppel that wants (for some reason) to have 23.976fps movies to be played at 50fps which is common to PAL regions and it's not a number that can have 3.2 pulldown.

The rest, if I had to guess, is people how read about it here and just see motion judder caused by 23.976 content and refers to it as micro stuttering.
What you are seeing is the frame being displayed for a longer time during 1 second, this causes motion blur. This is a native problem to flat panel displays.

If you want this gone, you can do frame interpolation, many tvs have this and you will get the famous Soap Opera effect.

Or you can use black frame insertion. This will add a black frame between every frame which will solve motion blur and judder but will cause a significant reduction of brightness.

But again, when we use the exact same box, the exact same software and some have this problem and some others don't the only logical conclusion is: there's some setting you are turning it on that's causing this.

Stop over complicating stuff and leave everything to default and just enable change refresh rate.
(2021-02-23, 14:34)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]About micro stuttering:

There's no need to use any resolution in whitelist, unless you have an external upscaler like the Envy by Madshi.

And set on start/stop.

From day one that I have build the first apk there's no micro stuttering except in a very very specific use case like Hoppel that wants (for some reason) to have 23.976fps movies to be played at 50fps which is common to PAL regions and it's not a number that can have 3.2 pulldown.

The rest, if I had to guess, is people how read about it here and just see motion judder caused by 23.976 content and refers to it as micro stuttering.
What you are seeing is the frame being displayed for a longer time during 1 second, this causes motion blur. This is a native problem to flat panel displays.

If you want this gone, you can do frame interpolation, many tvs have this and you will get the famous Soap Opera effect.

Or you can use black frame insertion. This will add a black frame between every frame which will solve motion blur and judder but will cause a significant reduction of brightness.

But again, when we use the exact same box, the exact same software and some have this problem and some others don't the only logical conclusion is: there's some setting you are turning it on that's causing this.

Stop over complicating stuff and leave everything to default and just enable change refresh rate.
I understand this on the tv or kodi? "Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz"

I did this and it does not solve the problem "Enable change refresh rate. And set on start/stop."

The resolution that comes out automatically in my android tv is 1080p 60hz .. without option to change.

​​​​​​​Sorry if I bothered you by the questions, I was just trying to understand the reason for the judder effect that Dolby Vision playback produces on my tv
(2021-02-23, 15:01)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]

And set on start/stop.

I understand this on the tv or kodi? "Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz"

I did this and it does not solve the problem "Enable change refresh rate. And set on start/stop."

The resolution that comes out automatically in my android tv is 1080p 60hz .. without option to change.

​​​​​​​Sorry if I bothered you by the questions, I was just trying to understand the reason for the judder effect that Dolby Vision playback produces on my tv

No bother at all is just that some might think a problem exists when it does not and this might put people away from using this build and enjoying DV movies or complete blurays.

You set this on your shield.
Open the shield menu, display settings, custom mode and use the highest one which is the ycbcr 422 hdr and dolby vision.
If dolby vision isn't listed just enable the one with hdr, move back on step from the menu and there's a toggle for Dolby Vision, enable that, when asked if everything is ok press yes and you will have the highest possible output from the shield ycbcr 422 hdr dolby vision 60hz.
If it says 59.9hz that's ok.

The only way for kodi to output 1080p from a 4k movie is:

If you use a 1080p display. So how the shield and kodi will know your tv is 1080p? Because of something called EDID. The edid on a tv sends information over hdmi of it's supported resolutions.
If the shield don't see 4k as a option it will default to 1080p.
Maybe you have something in the hdmi chain bottlenecking the signal?
Like an hdmi splitter or something like that.

The other option would be, you have whitelist resolutions set on Kodi and only 1080p marked down.
In this case, my advice is, just remove everything from whitelist.

Those are the only 2 options I can think of for the shield to output 1080p when playing a 4k movie if you have a 4k tv.
Direct link for github with the releases:

32bits verison
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...arch32.apk

64bits:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...arch64.apk

EDIT: first post updated with both links (mega and github);
(2021-02-23, 15:14)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]

And set on start/stop.

Sorry if I bothered you by the questions, I was just trying to understand the reason for the judder effect that Dolby Vision playback produces on my tv

No bother at all is just that some might think a problem exists when it does not and this might put people away from using this build and enjoying DV movies or complete blurays.

Open the shield menu, display settings, custom mode and use the highest one which is the ycbcr 422 hdr and dolby vision.
If dolby vision isn't listed just enable the one with hdr, move back on step from the menu and there's a toggle for Dolby Vision, enable that, when asked if everything is ok press yes and you will have the highest possible output from the shield ycbcr 422 hdr dolby vision 60hz.

If you use a 1080p display. So how the shield and kodi will know your tv is 1080p? Because of something called EDID. The edid on a tv sends information over hdmi of it's supported resolutions.

The other option would be, you have whitelist resolutions set on Kodi and only 1080p marked down.

Those are the only 2 options I can think of for the shield to output 1080p when playing a 4k movie if you have a 4k tv.

Perhaps I have explained myself wrong from the beginning. I use your version of kodi installed on a TV, an Android TV and this TV is 4k 120hz and has a full Dolby Vision profile. For me his version of kodi is perfect since it plays everything. But according to the information that kodi gives, it is running in 1080 60hz and dolby vision has a vibration effect in my case with different DV movies. 4k HDR looks perfect. it's not kodi's fault, it's a bad fit on my part and that's what I'd like to know how to fix myself.

Regards Hoppel

You don't need to set 23.973 refresh rate on Shield, just choose the highest, 60 (or 59.9) and set Kodi to change refresh rate and do it on Start/Stop, this will actually change the refresh rate each time you start playing a moving and set it back when you stop. On 23.976 stuff and with the refresh rate change you shouldn't see microshuttering, maybe it could happen after a very long play time, because no all the graphic controllers are able to exactly do 23.976 al the time, imagine 23.97 would cause a shutter at some point, but that is very rare it the content and the refresh rate match.
(2021-02-23, 15:14)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]

And set on start/stop.

Sorry if I bothered you by the questions, I was just trying to understand the reason for the judder effect that Dolby Vision playback produces on my tv

Thx again Fandagos for making it possible. I did have some stutter too with the RC1 version, no idea why maybe I just did it wrong. Somehow the build with the modified exolplayer works like a charm, no stutter at all. I am gonna download the newest and once again thx for making this possible I am pretty sure hunderds of users (or more) are happy you do this Smile
(2021-02-22, 09:20)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-22, 07:23)UberJaeger Wrote: [ -> ]The new release was automatically installed on my shield when i started the app, but my mkv files with DV do not work somehow. It always shows normal "HDR" in the right corner of the TV (LG C9). When i use PLEX it shows the DV Logo.

Hum,

The new release shouldn't be installed when you start the app.
It should be installed by you, copying the apk provided in this thread to the shield and installing with a file browser.

In case you did that, let me know if the previews apk worked and this one doesn't.
Both should work since the DV code is the same.

And let me know if you used the 32 or 64 bits version.

Why not? It was automatically updated, but nonetheless i uninstalled it and installed it manually from the apk (64bit Version) that was linked here before. But there is no difference, there is no DV logo showing, only normal HDR.
(2021-02-23, 13:56)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-22, 14:19)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]I also tried the new build yesterday. For me it works like the previous dv build.

Regards Hoppel

If you have Shield and Kodi like other here say just make sure that the option in Kodi change refresh rate is on the option 'at start/stop'. Then indeed you do not need to worry at all just make your resolution on Kodi is 4k with HDR and Dolby Vision enabled/ready.
(2021-02-23, 17:24)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-23, 13:56)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-23, 13:51)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, when I play DV I set to resolution in the Shield to 23.976 with Dolby Vision enabeled. Almost every movie (with DV or HDR) is 23.976/24p. I am curious have you tried that and do you then have micro stutters?

If you have Shield and Kodi like other here say just make sure that the option in Kodi change refresh rate is on the option 'at start/stop'. Then indeed you do not need to worry at all just make your resolution on Kodi is 4k with HDR and Dolby Vision enabled/ready.
I mean on shield the resolution must be 4k/hdr/dolby vision enabeld/ready, not Kodi. sorry!
Thanks the link above worked on my firestick
(2021-02-23, 17:23)UberJaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Why not? It was automatically updated, but nonetheless i uninstalled it and installed it manually from the apk (64bit Version) that was linked here before. But there is no difference, there is no DV logo showing, only normal HDR.

What is the name of the APK you used? This special DV/blu-ray version does not update itself, so you must have seen an update of the official Kodi version that is in the Google Play Store.

If you install the version from this thread and your media player / TV support it, DV should work.

What device are you running Kodi on?