Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-02-25, 13:56)mattmarsden Wrote: [ -> ]When ffmpeg supports DV in mkv will it just work in standard Kodi?

There's a 5 line code that needs to be added.
But if ffmpeg adds support and Kodi updates it's ffmpeg source, the pull request with the code already exists and it's just one click away from being merged.
(2021-02-25, 15:09)jkatchy2 Wrote: [ -> ]So What version I have to use for Firestick 4k to play DV MKV ? Your 32 bit apk or the one from quietvoid ? When i use the 32 bit version it pops up DV but with black screen and audio on Firestick 4k .
(2021-02-25, 03:12)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]So, explaning about how multiple devices work with Dolby Vision and why some (many?) don't work with this build. 

With Dolby Vision what Kodi is doing is this:

movie file --> Kodi --> android media codec (surface) ---> TV
the android media codec is doing everything, reading the video data, decoding, rendering, outputing it, we don't have much control over it and don't know exactly what is is doing.

If you look at the code you will see OMX.Nvidia or OMX.MTK
If you are using a Nvidia Shield box you have OMX.Nvidia.DOVI for Dolby Vision and for some other players like the FireStick TV you have omx.mtk.video.decoder.dvhe, what this means is that, each android box player has a different black box. 
Each tv with android tv. 

This sadly, isn't standard. 
So what happens is that while it works with the shield and the firestick, it might not work on your android TV device. 
and even if we change the code to look for every single video decoder, it will not work, see the work that quietvoid did for the firestick, it is very different in the way it reads DV compared to the Shield. 

So, if it's not working for you, that's the cause and it's impossible to work out every single tv and box.
If someone wants to develop for the box he/she has at home, I can add the code to this build but beyond that, I don't see much else changing.

Mine have quietvoid's code and it was mentioned that it works.
I don't own the firestick.
(2021-02-25, 13:49)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 08:17)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-24, 22:38)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 
You can buy an OPPO 203 or one of it's clones if this format is important to you.

And the Amlogic S922X-J: [link]

This is mp4.
So, to my understanding there's some conversion done to fit it.
Also it's not the chipset that supports it, you need a software that can do it.

See the unanswered question at the end.
M2TS are not supported. So UHD BD dual layer stream is only supported by commercial players.

You are wrong. I opened that topic and I answered the question before. This is not a conversion, only change a container from m2ts to mp4 or ts.

The Amlogic processing the FEL from these files:
Profile 7 Dual Track Dual Layer mp4
Profile 7 Single Track Dual Layer mp4
Profile 7 Single Track Dual Layer ts
Profile 7 Single Track Dual Layer mkv
Tested with multiple version like FEL , MEL of DV MKV either it stutters heavy or Black Screen .
(2021-02-25, 15:11)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 15:09)jkatchy2 Wrote: [ -> ]So What version I have to use for Firestick 4k to play DV MKV ? Your 32 bit apk or the one from quietvoid ? When i use the 32 bit version it pops up DV but with black screen and audio on Firestick 4k .
(2021-02-25, 03:12)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]So, explaning about how multiple devices work with Dolby Vision and why some (many?) don't work with this build. 

With Dolby Vision what Kodi is doing is this:

movie file --> Kodi --> android media codec (surface) ---> TV
the android media codec is doing everything, reading the video data, decoding, rendering, outputing it, we don't have much control over it and don't know exactly what is is doing.

If you look at the code you will see OMX.Nvidia or OMX.MTK
If you are using a Nvidia Shield box you have OMX.Nvidia.DOVI for Dolby Vision and for some other players like the FireStick TV you have omx.mtk.video.decoder.dvhe, what this means is that, each android box player has a different black box. 
Each tv with android tv. 

This sadly, isn't standard. 
So what happens is that while it works with the shield and the firestick, it might not work on your android TV device. 
and even if we change the code to look for every single video decoder, it will not work, see the work that quietvoid did for the firestick, it is very different in the way it reads DV compared to the Shield. 

So, if it's not working for you, that's the cause and it's impossible to work out every single tv and box.
If someone wants to develop for the box he/she has at home, I can add the code to this build but beyond that, I don't see much else changing.

(2021-02-25, 15:45)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 13:49)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 08:17)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]And the Amlogic S922X-J: [link]

This is mp4.

M2TS are not supported. So UHD BD dual layer stream is only supported by commercial players.

You are wrong. I opened that topic and I answered the question before. This is not a conversion, only change a container from m2ts to mp4 or ts.

Profile 7 Dual Track Dual Layer ts

So amlogic has it's own software?
It can't be playing it with Kodi because kodi doesn't have support for it.

Edit: and if it's just a container, as you say, why m2ts doesn't work?
(2021-02-25, 15:51)jkatchy2 Wrote: [ -> ]Tested with multiple version like FEL , MEL of DV MKV either it stutters heavy or Black Screen .
(2021-02-25, 15:11)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]

@quietvoid
(2021-02-25, 15:52)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 15:45)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 13:49)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]This is mp4.

Via ExoPlayer or Plex or MoviePlayer (this is the system player).
With Kodi, only the P5 STSL mp4 and P7 STDL mkv works (MEL/FEL).
I don't know why the m2ts not working, but remux to mkv or mp4 is not a big deal.
(2021-02-25, 16:01)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 15:52)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 15:45)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]You are wrong. I opened that topic and I answered the question before. This is not a conversion, only change a container from m2ts to mp4 or ts.

I don't know why the m2ts not working, but remux to mkv or mp4 is not a big deal.

Interesting.

I think this is a big deal because now we have support for 4k uhd bluray discs (with menus) on android.
If m2ts support happens up we could have a complete uhd bd experience on android.

Our only hope would be finding the code that plex uses on server side, which is where it uses ffmpeg.

Exoplayer code won't help in our case here.
(2021-02-25, 16:05)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:01)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 15:52)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]So amlogic has it's own software?

Interesting.

I think this is a big deal because now we have support for 4k uhd bluray discs (with menus) on android.
If m2ts support happens up we could have a complete uhd bd experience on android.

Our only hope would be finding the code that plex uses on server side, which is where it uses ffmpeg.

The Dual Track mp4 only works with system player. For Plex, we need to create (remux) Single Track Dual Layer files.
(2021-02-25, 16:12)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:05)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:01)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]Via ExoPlayer or Plex or MoviePlayer (this is the system player).

Interesting.

The Dual Track mp4 only works with system player. For Plex, we need to create (remux) Single Track Dual Layer files.

Oh I see..

And if I had to guess that player isn't open source.
So we are out of luck.
(2021-02-25, 15:51)jkatchy2 Wrote: [ -> ]Tested with multiple version like FEL , MEL of DV MKV either it stutters heavy or Black Screen .

The firestick can't play profile 7 FEL files, that's why you're getting a black screen.
Eventually (if I have the time) I'd like to get Kodi to convert profiles on the fly.

Otherwise all other profiles work fine for me.
(2021-02-25, 16:18)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:12)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:05)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting.

Oh I see..

So we are out of luck.

I'm going to try to decomplie the apk.
(2021-02-25, 16:38)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:18)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-25, 16:12)djnice Wrote: [ -> ]The Dual Track mp4 only works with system player. For Plex, we need to create (remux) Single Track Dual Layer files.

Oh I see..

So we are out of luck.

I'm going to try to decomplie the apk.

Unless it is using ffmpeg it won't help much.
Thanks a lot guys for all your work!
I have been following all this for months now.
I installed it today, the final apk, on my 2019 shield pro.

DV is triggered with mkv and looks better than HDR so I guess it is working fine.

But I have a problem with Dolby Atmos, it won’t play on my soundbar, it is not triggered as usual with the other kodi version Leia. Passthrough is activated.

Anyone else with the issue ? Is it because lf the APk or because of the Matrix version ?
(2021-02-25, 21:20)MerenGone Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot guys for all your work!
I have been following all this for months now.
I installed it today, the final apk, on my 2019 shield pro.

DV is triggered with mkv and looks better than HDR so I guess it is working fine.

But I have a problem with Dolby Atmos, it won’t play on my soundbar, it is not triggered as usual with the other kodi version Leia. Passthrough is activated.

Anyone else with the issue ? Is it because lf the APk or because of the Matrix version ?

I too am having this issue with 19.0 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 - Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar.
Audio is set to passthrough - all audio codec options are checked off.
only DD 5.1 is being passed through - I cannot get TrueHD or higher to pass

18.9 had no passthrough issues with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos or DTS-HD/DTSX.. everything worked perfectly.