Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-03-25, 00:08)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Fix your bluray player.

Or get a good one like the oppo or the panasonic.

lol funny guy !
(2021-03-25, 00:09)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-25, 00:00)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Any one know what the way to extract Dolby Vision Content from a UHD ISO, I know this not the right right to ask but I have tried MakeMKV and it only extract the HDR content.

Update to the latest make mkv?

I have version 1.16.3
(2021-03-24, 08:03)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]I actually dislike the shield pro 2019 and I’ve got 2 of them, it’s is so buggy.
Like you say it will play smooth then all of a sudden it starts to glitch or frame skip, not just on DV with Kodi.
I have loads of problems with apps on shield, some times rebooting a couple of times fixes them , my particular bug bear at the moment js Disney + only offers me 1080 and HD sound, sometimes a couple of reboots or toggling Dolby Vision will fix it but not always where as the D+ app on my TV works every time with Dolby Vision and Atmos.
Oh don’t get me started on Prime video and built in Chromecast- grrr.
Hate the shield.

So, I actually was having some similar behavior, and I noticed turning upscaling from AI-enhanced to basic solved it.  For some reason it was running the DLSS stuff on already 4k videos that were taking all of its CPU already.  Make sure you have the upscaling disabled/on the lowest setting.
(2021-03-24, 23:43)A_Guest Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-24, 23:06)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]P7 FEL do work on the SHIELD.
The shield can play FEL files but it's not decoding the EL and it uses only the dynamic metadata in RPU. So you don't get the full DV experience.
The only devices that can do FEL are bluray players, Ugoos/minix and Chromecast(not confirmed). Even the expensive Dune player that support DV ISO cant even decode FEL.

About the red push issue, check at the 2-minute mark in the Doctor Sleep bluray disc. The difference between my Bluray player X700 and my shield is night and day.

So, out of curiosity, is the MKV standard for DV using the RPU or the FEL (when present)?  I noticed that MakeMKV processed files produce a single video track labeled "BL+EL+RPU" instead of having a separate FEL track like the original blu-ray had.  I do not understand the DV formats well enough to understand what the MKV standard does.

(2021-03-25, 00:58)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-25, 00:09)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-25, 00:00)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Any one know what the way to extract Dolby Vision Content from a UHD ISO, I know this not the right right to ask but I have tried MakeMKV and it only extract the HDR content.

Update to the latest make mkv?

I have version 1.16.3

What are you using to figure out if it has the DV content?  Does the latest mediainfo list the HDR format as:
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Or does it only list it as:
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

(Or are you looking for the second 1080p stream, not seeing it, and assuming you don't have the DV info?)
(2021-03-25, 01:56)araemo Wrote: [ -> ]So, out of curiosity, is the MKV standard for DV using the RPU or the FEL (when present)?  I noticed that MakeMKV processed files produce a single video track labeled "BL+EL+RPU" instead of having a separate FEL track like the original blu-ray had.  I do not understand the DV formats well enough to understand what the MKV standard does.

I may have answered this myself.  Pulled out Game of Thrones disk 1.  Episode 1 on disk has the 4K HDR10 track, 22.3GiB, plus the 1080p DV FEL track, 1.44GiB.

My MakeMKV conversion/remux of it has a single 4K HDR10+DV track of 24.7 GiB (and 22.3 + 1.44 = 24.74, so it's accurate to the displayed decimal place).  It looks like that should then contain all the data from both of the original tracks, muxed together as a single track in a different stream format (the MKV specific stream format) instead of as two separate tracks in the MPEG 2 TS DV format (which was certainly chosen for backwards-compatibility with shitty blu-ray players).
(2021-03-25, 01:56)araemo Wrote: [ -> ]
The shield can play FEL files but it's not decoding the EL and it uses only the dynamic metadata in RPU. So you don't get the full DV experience.
The only devices that can do FEL are bluray players, Ugoos/minix and Chromecast(not confirmed). Even the expensive Dune player that support DV ISO cant even decode FEL.

About the red push issue, check at the 2-minute mark in the Doctor Sleep bluray disc. The difference between my Bluray player X700 and my shield is night and day.

So, out of curiosity, is the MKV standard for DV using the RPU or the FEL (when present)?  I noticed that MakeMKV processed files produce a single video track labeled "BL+EL+RPU" instead of having a separate FEL track like the original blu-ray had.  I do not understand the DV formats well enough to understand what the MKV standard does.

(2021-03-25, 00:58)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-25, 00:09)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Update to the latest make mkv?

I have version 1.16.3

What are you using to figure out if it has the DV content?  Does the latest mediainfo list the HDR format as:
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Or does it only list it as:
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

(Or are you looking for the second 1080p stream, not seeing it, and assuming you don't have the DV info?)

Ok, I got a couple of UHD files converted  to MKV with MakeMKV and they played fine in DV, but American Assassin UHD which contain DV doesn't seems to convert to DV and the mediainfo descriptions shows SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Works, Thanks!
(2021-03-24, 13:40)catshome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-24, 08:03)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]Hate the shield.

here you can perhaps better address your frustration ->  Shield TV Community
Waste of time, worst forum to navigate in the world, I have beta tested in the past and posted bug reports, months later the beta bugs haven’t been fixed and when people post they don’t work they react like it’s the first time they have heard it.

Shield does al lot of things but none of them very well.

That's right, that's the truth.
Sometimes it can make a big difference if fel layer is processed or not 
this example is about the new dune player
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopi...61#p106561
(2021-03-24, 21:19)A_Guest Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-24, 18:51)xavierlehnsherr Wrote: [ -> ]Same. I have shield pro 2019 and have no issues

except for the lack of FEL support and the red push Tongue

Yeah, I was only talking about DV playback through kodi Tongue I guess I didn't really notice before, but after watching many FEL movies, I can spot them too. Most notable on scenes with water being the main focus (like the beginning of shutter island)
(2021-03-25, 01:49)araemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-24, 08:03)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]I actually dislike the shield pro 2019 and I’ve got 2 of them, it’s is so buggy.
Like you say it will play smooth then all of a sudden it starts to glitch or frame skip, not just on DV with Kodi.
I have loads of problems with apps on shield, some times rebooting a couple of times fixes them , my particular bug bear at the moment js Disney + only offers me 1080 and HD sound, sometimes a couple of reboots or toggling Dolby Vision will fix it but not always where as the D+ app on my TV works every time with Dolby Vision and Atmos.
Oh don’t get me started on Prime video and built in Chromecast- grrr.
Hate the shield.

So, I actually was having some similar behavior, and I noticed turning upscaling from AI-enhanced to basic solved it.  For some reason it was running the DLSS stuff on already 4k videos that were taking all of its CPU already.  Make sure you have the upscaling disabled/on the lowest setting.

Let me try turning off upscaling and retry playing DV movie. This problem has no reason except that the new DV feature in kodi is still under construction.

Not all of the users have DV capable screens, so, even if there is a problem, this will be minor issue.

Kodi is playing demo MKV DV perfectly, Movies specially online contents is still buggy and have alot of stuttering and frame skipping.

Shield pro 19
LG Cx
There's nothing specific in Kodi with regards to different rendering for Dolby Vision.
Maybe the issue is that the builds posted here are not release optimized?

I've personally switched to my own release built Kodi off of the same patches and haven't encountered any issue so far.
(2021-03-26, 16:19)quietvoid Wrote: [ -> ]There's nothing specific in Kodi with regards to different rendering for Dolby Vision.
Maybe the issue is that the builds posted here are not release optimized?

I've personally switched to my own release built Kodi off of the same patches and haven't encountered any issue so far.

I have merged your code.
Our builds should be identical in Dolby Vision performance.

Specially that Android uses a black box decoder/renderer so we don't have much to any control over it.

If you look at the forum you will see a some threads mentioning stuttering on android devices.
It has nothing to do with this build in particular.

As I mentioned I have yet to see any stuttering on my setup.
Hi

I am facing the purple image problem when I try to run any Dolby Vision mp4 file using Kodi 19 on Shield 2019 PRO. I've restarted Kodi and Shield many times and the problem is still the same
Here are images showing the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sCfax3rNUsEyhPqk6
Media Info: https://paste.kodi.tv/benudaqeda
Debug file: https://paste.kodi.tv/fufebuzixu

What should I do?
Thanks
(2021-03-31, 18:38)gilsonsjc Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I am facing the purple image problem when I try to run any Dolby Vision mp4 file using Kodi 19 on Shield 2019 PRO. I've restarted Kodi and Shield many times and the problem is still the same
Here are images showing the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sCfax3rNUsEyhPqk6
Media Info: https://paste.kodi.tv/benudaqeda
Debug file: https://paste.kodi.tv/fufebuzixu

What should I do?
Thanks
Does DV work in other apps? This looks like it would if you don't have a DV compatible TV (or amp/soundbar if the signal is passed through one of those). Also make sure you have frame rate matching on in Kodi, in case your tv does not support DV @ higher framerates (you should have this on in any case)