Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am a neophyte in the Kodi application and in Dolby Vision as well, so sorry in advance if my questions are stupid or have already been answered, but I did not understand what exact type of Dolby Vision profile this 19.1 Kodi is capable to read  Big Grin

From what I've seen most of my MKV DV files are detected as follow by my MediaInfo : "HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL +EL +RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible".

Is this version of Kodi able to read this MKV DV profile ?

If yes, do I have to change a lot of settings into the Kodi app ? And does it flag "DV" into the app when selecting a file ? How can I know if DV is properly read by Kodi on my TV ? (my Sony A80J and my Kodi are still on their way so I cannot do any test by myself right now, that's why I am reading every forum to have a better understanding of these topics ^^)

If this version of Kodi is unable to read this MKV DV profile, it means I have to convert this MKV DV into a MP4 DV ? (and if I do this, can I still keep subtitles on my MP4 file ? and at least a DTS audio quality ? since I understood HD Audio cannot be on a MP4)

By the way is it the "kodinerds-20210508-85e05228b4-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk" I should download ?

Thank you in advance for your help  Angel
(2021-05-27, 14:50)trealith Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I am a neophyte in the Kodi application and in Dolby Vision as well, so sorry in advance if my questions are stupid or have already been answered, but I did not understand what exact type of Dolby Vision profile this 19.1 Kodi is capable to read  Big Grin

From what I've seen most of my MKV DV files are detected as follow by my MediaInfo : "HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL +EL +RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible".

Is this version of Kodi able to read this MKV DV profile ?

If yes, do I have to change a lot of settings into the Kodi app ? And does it flag "DV" into the app when selecting a file ? How can I know if DV is properly read by Kodi on my TV ? (my Sony A80J and my Kodi are still on their way so I cannot do any test by myself right now, that's why I am reading every forum to have a better understanding of these topics ^^)

If this version of Kodi is unable to read this MKV DV profile, it means I have to convert this MKV DV into a MP4 DV ? (and if I do this, can I still keep subtitles on my MP4 file ? and at least a DTS audio quality ? since I understood HD Audio cannot be on a MP4)

By the way is it the "kodinerds-20210508-85e05228b4-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk" I should download ?

Thank you in advance for your help  Angel

Also : is the Red Push still happening on Kodi ?

Example from Nvidia Forum : https://slow.pics/c/ah3JaROY

Thank you  Blush
(2021-05-27, 14:50)trealith Wrote: [ -> ]Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL +EL +RPU
DV BL + EL + RPU is triggered with this build. you don't have to make any extra settings.
(2021-05-27, 15:40)catshome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-27, 14:50)trealith Wrote: [ -> ]Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL +EL +RPU
DV BL + EL + RPU is triggered with this build. you don't have to make any extra settings.

Thank you very much for your answer ! About this "Red Push" thing have you seen it no Kodi ? If yes, does it depend on the file which is read or can it occured on every file ?
*on Kodi
(2021-05-27, 11:18)catshome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-27, 11:12)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-27, 09:42)catshome Wrote: [ -> ]no - this build has its own package name and is therefore installed in its own directory. you can install this build perallel.
Are you saying you can have 2 kodi' s running side by side?
I only installed this build, but a parallel installation would work.

Thanks!
Delete
(2021-05-27, 15:47)trealith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-27, 15:40)catshome Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you very much for your answer ! About this "Red Push" thing have you seen it no Kodi ? If yes, does it depend on the file which is read or can it occured on every file ?
i have not yet been able to detect a "red push" effect.
you can't go wrong, because this build can be installed in parallel.
in general, the build is based on the official nightlies, or 19, 19.1. just test it and look forward to it.
(2021-05-26, 23:30)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. Do these builds also have the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities enabled?

@hoppel118 Do you know if Maven's builds also contain the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities (after installing the Java addon) or only the DV capability?

My German is not so good and I couldn't find anything about it on the KodiNerds forum, so I thought I would ask you Smile
(2021-05-28, 11:58)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-26, 23:30)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. Do these builds also have the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities enabled?

@hoppel118 Do you know if Maven's builds also contain the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities (after installing the Java addon) or only the DV capability?

My German is not so good and I couldn't find anything about it on the KodiNerds forum, so I thought I would ask you Smile
use google translation!

adapting the builds of maven (kodinerds)

Matrix + master
Support für Dolby Vision mit MKV

Leia + Matrix + master
Anzeige der Cover innerhalb von Channels, auch wenn Kodi nicht im Hintergrund geöffnet ist
Name des Standardchannels abhängig von der Systemsprache
Another info to understand:
the builds by @Maven are not in competition with the builds by @fandangos.
i only gave you the info about the maven builds because fandangos probably doesn't have time at the moment,
and the demand for updates was high.
(2021-05-28, 11:58)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]@hoppel118 Do you know if Maven's builds also contain the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities (after installing the Java addon) or only the DV capability?

By the way… @catshome is also a German Kodinerds user. Wink

I don’t have any files with a menu, main movie only. So I do not require this feature. But if you tell us where to find the needed source code, we can ask Maven to include it.

Regards Hoppel
(2021-05-28, 21:07)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-28, 11:58)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]@hoppel118 Do you know if Maven's builds also contain the blu-ray menu with Java capabilities (after installing the Java addon) or only the DV capability?

thanks for your support.Big Grin
i hope i was able to save the day with the information about the maven builds.

I don’t have any files with a menu, main movie only. So I do not require this feature. But if you tell us where to find the needed source code, we can ask Maven to include it.

Regards Hoppel

For BD and UHD BD to work you need the addon I provided.
No need to change anything on it.

And this lines of code here:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...ndroid.cpp

Just compare with the original one.
Add that, insta the addon and you have it.

Please, build a Kodi 19.1 using the DV code and the BD paths.
I honestly don't have the strength at the moment to do this.
(2021-05-29, 00:29)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]

Regards Hoppel

For BD and UHD BD to work you need the addon I provided.
No need to change anything on it.

And this lines of code here:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...ndroid.cpp

Just compare with the original one.
Add that, insta the addon and you have it.

Please, build a Kodi 19.1 using the DV code and the BD paths.
I honestly don't have the strength at the moment to do this.
thank you for your reply. I will ask @Maven if he can integrate this into his builds.