Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have shield tv pro with kodi 19.1,when playing mkv files 4k hdr dolby atmos, from smb network, the audio has small cuts, and you vacuum the stutter image, to anyone happened?
(2021-08-08, 15:44)Lobofer85 Wrote: [ -> ]I have shield tv pro with kodi 19.1,when playing mkv files 4k hdr dolby atmos, from smb network, the audio has small cuts, and you vacuum the stutter image, to anyone happened?

The only solution i found is revert back to 18.9. I too had stuttering issues with matrix and nvidia shield, tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work. Hoping next versions can fix that
(2021-08-05, 04:17)apurelife Wrote: [ -> ]I just started using KodiNerds and noticed on startup it gives me a Remote Communications Error notification. What's that all about?

I've actually seen this. Do you have more than one Kodi instance installed (including from Play store). Typically I've seen this when more than one instance is running simultaneously. Try force stopping the other instances and see if this keeps happening. Alternatively the ideal way to keep this from happening is make sure you click exit/quit within the app instead of just the home button that bounces you back to Android.
(2021-08-08, 21:37)krugorz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-08, 15:44)Lobofer85 Wrote: [ -> ]I have shield tv pro with kodi 19.1,when playing mkv files 4k hdr dolby atmos, from smb network, the audio has small cuts, and you vacuum the stutter image, to anyone happened?

The only solution i found is revert back to 18.9. I too had stuttering issues with matrix and nvidia shield, tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work. Hoping next versions can fix that

I've seen this myself from a number of mkvs I've ripped even from my own physical disc collection. Predominantly Dolby Atmos titles. Certain studios worse than others (like Disney and its subsidiaries and a few Lions gate titles).
Ironically even my Panasonic 820 disc player has the same types of issues with these titles...

For some reason though I actually haven't noticed it at all (at least much as I can recall) with the kodinerds variants I've been using. The 20 alpha variants. Maybe try those to compare.
Okay after looking at a few things and watching a few Dolby Vision movies, I noticed the microstudder everyone is talking about. Ironically, the trailers i have for my movies which are 1080p don't suffer from it. The motion is just smooth, if that makes sense whereas with the actual movie it seems not to be even though its suppose to be in 24p. Does the other maven/kodinerds builds fix this or do I have to go back to 18.9?
(2021-08-11, 20:08)KrispyKreme Wrote: [ -> ]Okay after looking at a few things and watching a few Dolby Vision movies, I noticed the microstudder everyone is talking about. Ironically, the trailers i have for my movies which are 1080p don't suffer from it. The motion is just smooth, if that makes sense whereas with the actual movie it seems not to be even though its suppose to be in 24p. Does the other maven/kodinerds builds fix this or do I have to go back to 18.9?

Unfortunately no. At least for me, all Kodi builds on the Shield have some sort of micro stutter during playback. I now mainly just use Nova Video Player as my normal daily player for all SD/HD/HDR playback and Just Player for DV playback. Both are very smooth and Nova auto-scrapes cover art and syncs with Trakt.
(2021-06-22, 23:33)CK1one Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-06-22, 00:45)bladed98 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know if Kodi 19.1 is able to play multi-HDR *.mkv file backups with Dolby Vision?
I've enabled Dolby vision in shield and if the mkv is just Dolby Vision it plays fine as Dolby Vision and tv recognizes Dolby Vision layer and plays it as such.
If the backup contains HDR10 and Dolby Vision then only HDR 10 version plays...tv is a90j. Colors are fine, but Dolby Vision is not triggered.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

try this build from kodinerds.
it triggers dv and works perfectly fine, at least on my a80j Wink
Hi,

I have the Arm7 build loaded on my Fire stick and the only issue I noticed is on 4K HEVC files with DV.  When Kodi is configured for a 4K screen, the TV recognizes the stream as a 4K HDR10 stream.  When Kodi is configured for 2K, the TV recognizes the stream as a 2K DV stream.  Any idea on how to trigger the 4K DV mode on the TV?

Thanks!
(2021-08-13, 06:56)Wagg Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-11, 20:08)KrispyKreme Wrote: [ -> ]Okay after looking at a few things and watching a few Dolby Vision movies, I noticed the microstudder everyone is talking about. Ironically, the trailers i have for my movies which are 1080p don't suffer from it. The motion is just smooth, if that makes sense whereas with the actual movie it seems not to be even though its suppose to be in 24p. Does the other maven/kodinerds builds fix this or do I have to go back to 18.9?

Unfortunately no. At least for me, all Kodi builds on the Shield have some sort of micro stutter during playback. I now mainly just use Nova Video Player as my normal daily player for all SD/HD/HDR playback and Just Player for DV playback. Both are very smooth and Nova auto-scrapes cover art and syncs with Trakt.
Just registered to thank you. I hope dovi stuttering issue will be fixed in Kodi soon. By any chance, do you know how to adjust the subtitle position in Just player? In Shield Pro, I tried to mess with CC settings but it doesn't help.. Is there anyway to postition the subtitles below the video? Currently it is on video overlay for me.
Could someone please provide the APK link to the most recent MAVEN build (with DV support), that has incorporated latest changes? Or is that the same one on the first page of this threat?
(2021-08-15, 19:13)eric_m91 Wrote: [ -> ]Could someone please provide the APK link to the most recent MAVEN build (with DV support), that has incorporated latest changes? Or is that the same one on the first page of this threat?

See the Dropbox links in this topic: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre.../?pageNo=1

You can choose between the Matrix build (currently at Kodi 19.1) or the master build (Kodi 20 Alpha) if you feel lucky Wink
(2021-08-16, 00:15)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-15, 19:13)eric_m91 Wrote: [ -> ]Could someone please provide the APK link to the most recent MAVEN build (with DV support), that has incorporated latest changes? Or is that the same one on the first page of this threat?

See the Dropbox links in this topic: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre.../?pageNo=1

You can choose between the Matrix build (currently at Kodi 19.1) or the master build (Kodi 20 Alpha) if you feel lucky Wink

thank you! i tried the master 20 alpha for my somy a8h - unfortunately didn’t seem to offer any improvement over kodi builds on page 1 of this thread since some content has dv triggered and others dont - which is the same as the kodi build i download on the first page - wonder if 19.1 would make a difference
(2021-08-15, 19:13)Sekology Wrote: [ -> ]Just registered to thank you. I hope dovi stuttering issue will be fixed in Kodi soon. By any chance, do you know how to adjust the subtitle position in Just player? In Shield Pro, I tried to mess with CC settings but it doesn't help.. Is there anyway to postition the subtitles below the video? Currently it is on video overlay for me.
JustPlayer is a very basic player based on ExoPlayer, I don’t think you can really do much more with it than play back files. VIMU offers a few more features but isn’t quite as stable. I think you can change subtitle size with Vimu, not sure about positioning tho.
(2021-08-16, 02:52)eric_m91 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you! i tried the master 20 alpha for my somy a8h - unfortunately didn’t seem to offer any improvement over kodi builds on page 1 of this thread since some content has dv triggered and others dont - which is the same as the kodi build i download on the first page - wonder if 19.1 would make a difference

Not sure what you mean there. All DV content I have tried works. The only problem is that sometimes you need to retry a few times before it actually starts playing. But it is believed this is more of a firmware issue with the Shield 2019.

On my Philips 48OLED935 with Android TV 9 it also works btw (32-bit version).
(2021-08-13, 06:56)Wagg Wrote: [ -> ]

Does the microstutter also happen in Leia? I'm going back to 18.9 on my shield even though I lose DV support
(2021-08-16, 08:38)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-16, 02:52)eric_m91 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you! i tried the master 20 alpha for my somy a8h - unfortunately didn’t seem to offer any improvement over kodi builds on page 1 of this thread since some content has dv triggered and others dont - which is the same as the kodi build i download on the first page - wonder if 19.1 would make a difference

Not sure what you mean there. All DV content I have tried works. The only problem is that sometimes you need to retry a few times before it actually starts playing. But it is believed this is more of a firmware issue with the Shield 2019.

On my Philips 48OLED935 with Android TV 9 it also works btw (32-bit version).

some of dolby vision mkvs that i have trigger dv others dont (but they all play fine) - although i have not updated the fw of my tv since for a year (sony a8h), wondering if that could help - its cool that even on your philips oled it works - and yes i tried 32 version too as thats the processor of my tv

which kodi build are you using, master alpha 20, or 19.1 - cause i tried the master alpha 20 in the link you provided