Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-10-23, 17:00)mattmarsden Wrote: [ -> ]Yes on my Minix U22-XJ flashed with AM6+ firmware DV FEL does work reliably - sometimes skips a bit initially but is then fine. I've tested with all the usual suspects - Saving Private Ryan at 2.30,Power Rangers, Total Recall etc and the FEL is definitely being processed. What you need to do to make the mkv work reliably is first use MakeMKV from the original Blu-Ray file structure (i.e. not a previously made 2 track DV mkv for example) and then re-mux with MKVtoolnix. This gives me good results. It would be nice to have it ironed out so there isn't pauses for a bit after seeking (only happens sometimes) - but I've watched lots of FEL movies on it now and am more than happy. As a bonus the PQ is a notch up from the Oppo - things like the chroma upsampling are much better on the AMlogic.
I think you've mentioned before that you have both the AM6+ as well as the U22-XJ. If it wouldn't be too much trouble for you, would you be able to test the exact same FEL mkv on both devices, and see if FEL playback of that file is reliable on both or only on the U22-XJ? That way, we can narrow down if it's your method of preparing the remux, or if the U22-XJ with AM6+ firmware is actually superior than the AM6+ with the same firmware (which seems odd given that they have the same chipset). If you are able to confirm, it would help inform if I need to buy a U22-XJ for reliable FEL playback.

Thanks matt.
Managed to get DV working for .mkv files on my 2018 FireStick.

Used the “kodinerds-20211023-895972f723-Matrix-armeabi-v7a.apk” build and this one works.
(Wonder why the FireTV build didn’t work thou ?)

It’s pretty a pretty slow and laggy Kodi experience on the Firestick 2018 but at least it works for DV playback.

Doesn’t play HDR10+ files when DV is present in the file also, but official Kodi 19.1 plays them as HDR10.

Would be nice to have one player that works for everything at some point !!
(2021-10-25, 13:38)Slickric21 Wrote: [ -> ](Wonder why the FireTV build didn’t work thou ?)
The patches were not in the FireTV builds until today.

(2021-10-25, 13:38)Slickric21 Wrote: [ -> ]It’s pretty a pretty slow and laggy Kodi experience on the Firestick 2018 but at least it works for DV playback.

Doesn’t play HDR10+ files when DV is present in the file also, but official Kodi 19.1 plays them as HDR10.
My Kodi experience is fine on both my FireTV Stick 4K (and Max) devices, but some others do report it being very slow.

The FireTV builds also include ignoring HDR10+, because it's focused on Dolby Vision playback.
So for now there's no HDR10+ compatible build for the FireTV, at least in the current builds.
(2021-10-24, 21:43)dysprosium Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-23, 17:00)mattmarsden Wrote: [ -> ]Yes on my Minix U22-XJ flashed with AM6+ firmware DV FEL does work reliably - sometimes skips a bit initially but is then fine. I've tested with all the usual suspects - Saving Private Ryan at 2.30,Power Rangers, Total Recall etc and the FEL is definitely being processed. What you need to do to make the mkv work reliably is first use MakeMKV from the original Blu-Ray file structure (i.e. not a previously made 2 track DV mkv for example) and then re-mux with MKVtoolnix. This gives me good results. It would be nice to have it ironed out so there isn't pauses for a bit after seeking (only happens sometimes) - but I've watched lots of FEL movies on it now and am more than happy. As a bonus the PQ is a notch up from the Oppo - things like the chroma upsampling are much better on the AMlogic.
I think you've mentioned before that you have both the AM6+ as well as the U22-XJ. If it wouldn't be too much trouble for you, would you be able to test the exact same FEL mkv on both devices, and see if FEL playback of that file is reliable on both or only on the U22-XJ? That way, we can narrow down if it's your method of preparing the remux, or if the U22-XJ with AM6+ firmware is actually superior than the AM6+ with the same firmware (which seems odd given that they have the same chipset). If you are able to confirm, it would help inform if I need to buy a U22-XJ for reliable FEL playback.

Thanks matt.

Yes they definitely perform better on the Minix than the Ugoos which I don't understand as they are same hardware and with the same firmware! But definitely in some way that it handles DV is different. For example profile 5 mkvs (for example Mandalorian WEB-DL) wouldn't play properly on the Ugoos, I got soe flashing and other artifacts - they play perfectly on the Minix. Don't get me wrong, playback of FEL isn't perfect on the Minix but is a lot better than the Ugoos. Best bet is to get it from somewhere like Amazon and if you're not happy, send it back.
I'm sure if someone cleverer than me put the time they could get Kodi working perfectly with FEL on Minix as I believe Plex will play FEL perfectly on it, albeit without HD audio.
(2021-10-25, 15:02)quietvoid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-25, 13:38)Slickric21 Wrote: [ -> ](Wonder why the FireTV build didn’t work thou ?)

(2021-10-25, 13:38)Slickric21 Wrote: [ -> ]It’s pretty a pretty slow and laggy Kodi experience on the Firestick 2018 but at least it works for DV playback.

My Kodi experience is fine on both my FireTV Stick 4K (and Max) devices, but some others do report it being very slow.

The FireTV builds also include ignoring HDR10+, because it's focused on Dolby Vision playback.
So for now there's no HDR10+ compatible build for the FireTV, at least in the current builds.

Thank you for clearing all that up for me.

I’ll wait for it and when Malvern updates the links for FireTV build. 🤞🏻
(2021-10-25, 15:02)quietvoid Wrote: [ -> ]

Hmm, I'm tempted to try the FireTV build against a second time on my Sony TV now to see if there's any difference.  DV didn't work with even MEL on that build so I figured it was grossly not applicable.  However, seeing the patches not in the build until recently is maybe why (are is that specifically the TrueHD/Atmos audio cutout issue with Disney/Fox titles?).

For what it's worth, my Sony TV is not able to keep up quite as well with the Shield TV pulling files over SMBv2.  And a few titles in my UHD disc collection realistically cannot play on either through the entire movie because the average bitrate is too high.  Tremors and Gemini Man fortunately are the only two titles I own that are like that.  Definitely helps to enable caching or there'd be a lot more titles in my disc collection that wouldn't smoothly play.  I did appear to possibly notice the audio stuttering with Chernobyl 4K, last episode.  It has DTS-HD 5.1 and DV MEL.   Oddly if I restart the app, sometimes it allows it to play smoothly.  When it cuts out, for some reason or another it's not able to read the file at nearly the same rate as when it's playing clean.

I'm seeing some more disc titles include HDR10+ (some even having that as the best HDR, and lacking DV),  but none of my TVs support HDR10+ so I guess I haven't bothered.
are the 19.3 builds and the master nightly builds capable of playing dv from mkv? or i must only download the links from the first post?
(2021-10-28, 15:22)JediFonger Wrote: [ -> ]are the 19.3 builds and the master nightly builds capable of playing dv from mkv? or i must only download the links from the first post?

Currently you need to use a custom build. Maven's builds are most up to date.
(2021-10-28, 15:29)quietvoid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-28, 15:22)JediFonger Wrote: [ -> ]are the 19.3 builds and the master nightly builds capable of playing dv from mkv? or i must only download the links from the first post?

i think i used this maybe: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre...r-Android/

i'll test it later on.
Hello guys !
Firstly let me thank all active people here, your work is amazing and it helped me a lot to setup Kodi on my Shield Pro 2019 properly.

Maybe I missed a step but after installing this Kodi app in the first page, it's doesn't change my issue : all my MKV files with DV are not played in DV but considered as standard HDR. At least my TV (LG C1 latest firmware to date) keep telling me my files are regular "HDR" on top right of the screen while on many SVOD content are detected as DV by the TV.

Is this normal ? Should I change some settings on Kodi App, Nvidia Shield or the LG TV to make it working ?

My setup is pretty simple : TV LG C1 (lastest firmware to date), Shield Pro 2019 with Kodi (tried official release + the one in this topic with DV support for mkv), content is on a HDD directly linked to the Shield.

Could you please help me on this ?

Thanks again !
Have you enabled DV in the Shield TV settings?
(2021-10-28, 15:37)JediFonger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-28, 15:29)quietvoid Wrote: [ -> ]

i think i used this maybe: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thre...r-Android/

i'll test it later on.

it was this, i got maven's build and now all is grand! i knew that looked familiar, thanks everyone! everything is humming along nicely now. thanks again!
(2021-10-28, 20:45)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Have you enabled DV in the Shield TV settings?

Yes !
Should I force a certain frame rate (24?) in Shield Settings or Kodi App settings to get DV maybe ?

I'm currently using the ARM64 version on the very first post of the topic, maybe I should try another build ?

Thanks for your help !
Solution found ! I had two files claimed to be Dolby Vision but they were only HDR + Dolby Atmos, I used others sources in Dolby Vision to double check and it works !
Thanks again Smile