Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-01-26, 13:10)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]Except for micro stuttering reported for just a few in a few movies, to not say just one it's a very bold statement saying none of the matrix 19 versions work.

Specially if you read the old thread and this one and notice that many with the nvidia shield pro actually use the matrix 19 version without any issue.
I can only report my experiences here. of course, I also wonder why the Kodi 19 versions don't work properly for me...!?

I have now spent almost two weeks with the tests. Everything was there... Including factory reset. I just wanted to give my feedback here...;-)

For me, it also works with the 18.9 version. I have everything I need. the rest is nice to have.
(2021-01-26, 15:36)afss Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-26, 13:35)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, newbie here just registrered just to say I cannot thank you guys enough that its now possible to play DV files on Shield. I have the modified exoplayer and it always works like a charm. Maybe I'm not an expert enough but I dont see that 'red colour bug' in Dolby Vision as many others see the image just looks stunning on Kodi/Exoplayer and DV files. Some people say its fixed in the latest Shield update but I cannot find confirmation. I do have one more question, I miss playing videofiles in Kodi (for DV I must use Exoplayer) do you gusy recommend I try one of the builds which enable DV in Kodi videoplayer or just wait for an official build but that make take a year if I am correct? How stable is the 64 bit build that is availlable here that plays DV with Kodi video? Can I replace that with my official Kodi build (18.9) or use them both, 18.9 for anything except DV and for DV the build here available? I rather have one (like now I  just have Kodi 18.9 with the modified exoplayer). Also the frame rate is buttersmooth on all DV files with the Exoplayer.

THANKS AGAIN FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!

Will Exoplayer pass Dolby Atmos ? Does it play internal/external subtitles ?  Thanks in advance for your replya
For me all works but I am only not sure of Atmos. Funny thing is Apple TV 4K always passes out Dolby Atmos whenever a movie has Atmos AND if you have a receiver who is capable of Atmos (mine does, I have an Yamaha RX-V585) .
But thats an Apple thing. Normally when an Atmos track is available the receiver decides /or box (I am not sure) that you need an Atmos signal or (if you like me have not an Atmos speaker setup) Dolby True HD or DD+. This works perfectly at my Shield (I have no Atmos speakers so its correct Shield passes through Dolby True HD instead of the also available Atmos track.). So I cannot anwser that for sure, we need someone with an Atmos capable setup /receiver. I tried to force my Shield as a test to only pass out Dolby Atmos signals but still it shows True HD with Shield. Hope this helps a bit.
(2021-01-26, 15:57)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-26, 13:35)Jason Voorhees Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all, newbie here just registrered just to say I cannot thank you guys enough that its now possible to play DV files on Shield. I have the modified exoplayer and it always works like a charm. Maybe I'm not an expert enough but I dont see that 'red colour bug' in Dolby Vision as many others see the image just looks stunning on Kodi/Exoplayer and DV files. Some people say its fixed in the latest Shield update but I cannot find confirmation. I do have one more question, I miss playing videofiles in Kodi (for DV I must use Exoplayer) do you gusy recommend I try one of the builds which enable DV in Kodi videoplayer or just wait for an official build but that make take a year if I am correct? How stable is the 64 bit build that is availlable here that plays DV with Kodi video? Can I replace that with my official Kodi build (18.9) or use them both, 18.9 for anything except DV and for DV the build here available? I rather have one (like now I  just have Kodi 18.9 with the modified exoplayer). Also the frame rate is buttersmooth on all DV files with the Exoplayer.

Will Exoplayer pass Dolby Atmos ? Does it play internal/external subtitles ?  Thanks in advance for your replya
For me all works but I am only not sure of Atmos. Funny thing is Apple TV 4K always passes out Dolby Atmos whenever a movie has Atmos AND if you have a receiver who is capable of Atmos (mine does, I have an Yamaha RX-V585) .
But thats an Apple thing. Normally when an Atmos track is available the receiver decides /or box (I am not sure) that you need an Atmos signal or (if you like me have not an Atmos speaker setup) Dolby True HD or DD+. This works perfectly at my Shield (I have no Atmos speakers so its correct Shield passes through Dolby True HD instead of the also available Atmos track.). So I cannot anwser that for sure, we need someone with an Atmos capable setup /receiver. I tried to force my Shield as a test to only pass out Dolby Atmos signals but still it shows True HD with Shield. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the reply - I am travelling, but will test Exoplayer as soon as I get back.

Are you referring to official apps on appletv passthrough atmos or Kodi on Apple TV, because I haven’t seen Kodi on Apple TV support e-ac3(dd+ atmos) or e-ac3 joc (Dolby truehd atmos).
Results of those demo files on SONY XG95, so not much to set up there apart from HDR mode to auto

P4- does not trigger any HDR format
P5- triggers DV bright
P7 FEL- does not trigger any HDR format
P7 MEL-does not trigger any HDR format
P81- triggers DV bright

the built in player on the other hand triggers HDR (no DV support there) on both P7 files and P81, P5 has shifted colors while P4 plays with my regular settings, so does not trigger HDR.
Regular RC1 from a few days back does not trigger HDR on any file, but P5 has shifted colors.
(2021-01-26, 18:41)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you referring to official apps on appletv passthrough atmos or Kodi on Apple TV, because I haven’t seen Kodi on Apple TV support e-ac3(dd+ atmos) or e-ac3 joc (Dolby truehd atmos).
Sorry, I am talking a bit vague. I dont have Kodi installed op Apple TV, I was trying to point out that Apple TV always passes through an Atmos file to my receiver as Atmos eventhough I dont have an Atmos speakers set up. My receiver usually shows Atmos/PCM. This goes for movies I watch with Netflix on Apple TV. So your right Smile
Thanks to everyone involved whose been working on this. I am out of the loop and new to this (haven't had time to commit to properly research) but have read through this thread and some of the makemkv threads as best as I could. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:

My setup: Sony x900h (v 6.0414--> should have TV led DV) connected via HDMI eARC to my Yamaha RX-V585 AVR, and have an atmos speaker setup (so I need my files in MKV so I can get TrueHD with Atmos audio)
I use makemkv 1.15.4 to convert my 4k HDR rips (BD structure) to MKVs. Mediainfo suggests that the DV layer is preserved. When I get home I'll update this, but I believe it reads something along the lines of 07.06 BL-EL-RPU. 

1) I've previously used PLEX to play my files. DV worked for some of them but not others (despite having the same DV profile as far as I could tell). Granted, it stopped working after I updated my TV and/or PLEX. 
As I understand it, I need to install custom builds of KODI onto my TV to get DV capabilities. Most people here use a shield, but there seems to be at least 1-2 people that have gotten DV working on the x900h with KODI. How do I install these custom builds via usb? Is it packaged as an .apk file? Which build should I use?

2) Do I need to edit anything within the build or files? Ie. do I need to change my workflow to go from BD structure to mkv--> is using makemkv sufficient?

3) Do I playback files over the network, or can it work via direct play off an external HDD?

4) How do I tell which DV profile my MKVs have? How can I tell if its dual layer vs single layer (as I understand makemkv converts it such that the mkvs are single layer?). Are there specific profiles that wont work on the x900h/kodi?

Thanks again for everyones work and thanks in advance for your help.
(2021-01-26, 20:56)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to everyone involved whose been working on this. I am out of the loop and new to this (haven't had time to commit to properly research) but have read through this thread and some of the makemkv threads as best as I could. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:

My setup: Sony x900h (v 6.0414--> should have TV led DV) connected via HDMI eARC to my Yamaha RX-V585 AVR, and have an atmos speaker setup (so I need my files in MKV so I can get TrueHD with Atmos audio)
I use makemkv 1.15.4 to convert my 4k HDR rips (BD structure) to MKVs. Mediainfo suggests that the DV layer is preserved. When I get home I'll update this, but I believe it reads something along the lines of 07.06 BL-EL-RPU. 

1) I've previously used PLEX to play my files. DV worked for some of them but not others (despite having the same DV profile as far as I could tell). Granted, it stopped working after I updated my TV and/or PLEX. 
As I understand it, I need to install custom builds of KODI onto my TV to get DV capabilities. Most people here use a shield, but there seems to be at least 1-2 people that have gotten DV working on the x900h with KODI. How do I install these custom builds via usb? Is it packaged as an .apk file? Which build should I use?

2) Do I need to edit anything within the build or files? Ie. do I need to change my workflow to go from BD structure to mkv--> is using makemkv sufficient?

3) Do I playback files over the network, or can it work via direct play off an external HDD?

4) How do I tell which DV profile my MKVs have? How can I tell if its dual layer vs single layer (as I understand makemkv converts it such that the mkvs are single layer?). Are there specific profiles that wont work on the x900h/kodi?

Sorry, couldn't find a place to edit the post, but meant to add this:

5) Is it possible to pass lossless audio with atmos to the AVR when playing files via KODI on the TV? Someone told me that 2020 TVs can't pass lossless audio from internal apps. So at this point, do I have to choose between DV and lossless audio?
No, not with KODI or any other app. And DV has nothing to do with it.
(2021-01-26, 20:56)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to everyone involved whose been working on this. I am out of the loop and new to this (haven't had time to commit to properly research) but have read through this thread and some of the makemkv threads as best as I could. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:

1/5: The limitations on apps running in the TV's Android TV interface (other than the 'blessed' apps) is why I got a Shield TV.  I had hoped that I wouldn't need to buy another shield TV given the built-in android TV, but as far as I could tell, kodi running on the TV itself couldn't even output 4k.  When I displayed 4k test patterns with kodi, they did not have ANYWHERE near the level of detail/resolution expected.  Think grey blobs instead of 1/2/3 pixel width lines.  Kodi running on Shield TV plugged into HDMI 1, with my speaker system plugged into HDMI 3 with eARC enabled, plays 4k HDR, with TrueHD or Master Audio passthrough (and atmos passthrough on both DD+ and TrueHD, and DTS:X on both DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA).. basically, the only thing I'm lacking is proper dolby vision support.  I haven't tried any builds in this thread yet - I am waiting for matrix to be released in general so I don't have to worry about my DB being version bumped between different players on my network.

3: Kodi doesn't care where the file is stored, as long as it can access it fast enough for the file's bitrate.

4: MediaInfo can often tell you what DV profile a file has (if the container/profile is supported by MediaInfo, at least)
(2021-01-26, 21:57)araemo Wrote: [ -> ]

1/5: The limitations on apps running in the TV's Android TV interface (other than the 'blessed' apps) is why I got a Shield TV.  I had hoped that I wouldn't need to buy another shield TV given the built-in android TV, but as far as I could tell, kodi running on the TV itself couldn't even output 4k.  When I displayed 4k test patterns with kodi, they did not have ANYWHERE near the level of detail/resolution expected.  Think grey blobs instead of 1/2/3 pixel width lines.  Kodi running on Shield TV plugged into HDMI 1, with my speaker system plugged into HDMI 3 with eARC enabled, plays 4k HDR, with TrueHD or Master Audio passthrough (and atmos passthrough on both DD+ and TrueHD, and DTS:X on both DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA).. basically, the only thing I'm lacking is proper dolby vision support.  I haven't tried any builds in this thread yet - I am waiting for matrix to be released in general so I don't have to worry about my DB being version bumped between different players on my network.

3: Kodi doesn't care where the file is stored, as long as it can access it fast enough for the file's bitrate.

4: MediaInfo can often tell you what DV profile a file has (if the container/profile is supported by MediaInfo, at least)

I am a little skeptical about your findings that the Kodi in app Sony Android tv can’t output 4K, with the matrix dv built I am getting everything out of it including vision, only thing is missing is the trueHD, that’s why I opted for a shield tv tube.

Could you link me your test patern files so can compare what details you are talking about?? Thanks for your findings...
Can someone please tell me how to make a 18.9 32bit build for dv myself, I can’t seem to find anybody that is doing this, if so please tell me so...

@fandagos
(2021-01-26, 23:41)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please tell me how to make a 18.9 32bit build for dv myself, I can’t seem to find anybody that is doing this, if so please tell me so...

@fandagos

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Leia/d...Android.md
Thank you for the work done Wink
(2021-01-27, 00:04)lepoilu Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the work done Wink

I was just about to reply to you, but I can see your statement about android tv apps in tv not able to output more than 1080p.

Because I wanted to know where you got that fact from and where I can find it.

Because if I compare the native disney plus 4K, Netflix 4K with the same sample on Kodi and Plex can’t seem to see the difference even when I am pixel peeping.

And no I don’t have upscaling settings on, everything artificial enhancement in the settings are off.

Even if I compare it to the image coming from a hdmi output where the shield is playing native 4K Disney plus or Kodi , can’t see the difference in sharpness..

I do see minor Color and white balance difference but nothing to do with sharpness.