Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2022-05-24, 09:58)mbriody Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried the latest Maven build and is still showed the wrong colours on the DV file I have. No different from stock KODI.
Does your device support DV?
(2022-05-24, 09:58)mbriody Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-05-21, 20:47)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-05-21, 15:23)RSAF Wrote: [ -> ]Would you please send this version link? I can't find it. is a stable build? best regards.

64-bit versions: https://repo.kodinerds.net/index.php?act...arm64-v8a)

32-bit versions: https://repo.kodinerds.net/index.php?act...meabi-v7a)

And no, there is no such thing as a v20 stable build yet.

Also, the Matrix versions are based on 19.4, but also nightlies, i.e. there could be issues with them (although they are usually very stable).

I just tried the latest Maven build and is still showed the wrong colours on the DV file I have. No different from stock KODI.

It seems that Maven makes frequent changes and releases.  I've tried many of the Matrix arm8 releases on my 2019 ShieldTV Pro.  The latest one released on 5-21 doesn't trigger DV properly on my MKV Dolby Vision remuxes.  If I fall back to the 5-18 version it works but not every time.
You can still grab 5-20 from his repo.  I notice that the history goes away (as of 5/27 you cannot go back before the 5-16 version).  So I advise downloading them as they come out and testing for yourself when you get time.
Kodi Nerds Maven builds run great for me on NVIDIA SHIELD 2019 - DV working and all, but for some reason (both MATRIX and NEXUS builds) I get video crashing at random intervals.

In case of Maven NEXUS build, it stops video playback and keeps the audio running (I gotta fast forward or rewind a little to get video back).
In case of Maven MATRIX build it crashes the video and audio alltogether and exits to KODI menu.

This happens in every build revision I've tried in 4k DV + TrueHD movies streaming from my NAS - audio being IEC passthrough'ed to an AV received/amp.

Shield is updated to the newest (and unfortunate A11).

Should I downgrade it back to A9? Could that be the issue?
(2022-05-29, 09:16)Jinx1337 Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi Nerds Maven builds run great for me on NVIDIA SHIELD 2019 - DV working and all

It's NOT DV, SHIELD NOT support dolby vision profile 7 from DB UHD.

It's ONLY HDR10 + RPU.
Care to elaborate the difference?
I am trying to google but explaining in layman's terms would help a lot.

Also, my original question remains.
(2022-06-08, 10:59)Jinx1337 Wrote: [ -> ]Care to elaborate the difference?

Also, my original question remains.

Maven Matrix 19.4 from 03/06 works fine on my ShieldTV 2019 Pro running v8.2.3
Sure wish I could get a solution for 19.4 on Windows and this whole DV mess!!! Not holding my breath as it still hasn't been solved for almost a year on Android!
Hi!

What is atm the best build for Kodi + DV + BD Menu and how to install the BD Menu?

So long!
Olize
There is no perfect one-shot solution, but something like a Zidoo Z9X = $229 https://www.amazon.com/Zidoo-Player-Andr...08M3JSWZX/ with 6.4.0.6 beta firmware & ZDMC 18.9 (Zidoo's custom Kodi that uses Zidoo's native video player) + an external GPT/NTFS-formatted HDD (I believe 16.7TB is the highest Android recognizes) or the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) with Shield Experience 8.2.2 (no later) and Maven's Kodi 19 build for arm64-v8a https://repo.kodinerds.net/index.php?act...on=matrix/ + an external GPT/NTFS-formatted HDD (again, no larger than 16.7TB) seem to provide the highest quality experience for folks.
I've been using Kodi since Kodi was XBMC and actually had it installed on the OG Xbox. My setups (Xbox to OG AppleTV to FireTV and Google Chromecast w YoutubeTV) have always worked for me so I've never had to tweak much.
I recently got the FireTV Cube (2nd Gen), was hoping to play 4K Dolby Video with Kodi and I had no idea I'd be in for some disappointment. 

I tried the latest KodiNerds APKs (as of 12-Jun-22) net.kodinerds.maven.kodi20.firetv.armeabi-v7a-202206092213-7465f1e3-Nexus.apk and net.kodinerds.maven.kodi.firetv.armeabi-v7a-202206082218-4600dc16-Matrix.apk and neither play any 4K DV video - I get a black screen.
Has anyone using a FireTV Cube had luck with one of the previous KodiNerds builds?
(2022-06-08, 10:59)Jinx1337 Wrote: [ -> ]Care to elaborate the difference?

Essentially you're just getting HDR10 image + the dynamic brightness metadata from Dolby Vision. Which is fine for MEL Dolby Vision titiles, but for FEL Dolby Vision titles, no current device supports properly decoding the FEL 2-bit layer in an MKV (not even Zidoos). The FEL layer can also affect the luminance of outputed image (depending on the title), so without it, the dynamic metadata brightness is being applied/shown incorrectly
I have an Ugoos AM6B Plus, which I confirmed can decode a Dolby Vision Full Enhancement Layer in Plex, which played the beginning of Saving Private Ryan without flickering. I am using the first Kodinerds build on this page. Oddly, this Kodinerds build seems to discard the FEL, even though my display still plays Dolby Vision. (Playback of Dolby Vision remuxes with a FEL is also quite unstable in this build.) Does anyone know of any build that has achieved stable Dolby Vision playback, while also retaining the FEL?
(2022-07-02, 21:17)JoseTheBae Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Ugoos AM6B Plus, which I confirmed can decode a Dolby Vision Full Enhancement Layer in Plex, which played the beginning of Saving Private Ryan without flickering. I am using the first Kodinerds build on this page. Oddly, this Kodinerds build seems to discard the FEL, even though my display still plays Dolby Vision. (Playback of Dolby Vision remuxes with a FEL is also quite unstable in this build.) Does anyone know of any build that has achieved stable Dolby Vision playback, while also retaining the FEL?

Your Ugoos isn't "decoding" the FEL, it's processing just the RPU (ie the dynamic brightness metadata) and applying that on top of the normal HDR10 base. This is technically incorrect, as the RPU is expecting the luma values of the HDR10 layer + the 2-bit layer from the FEL layer (which, as stated before, no devices support yet within an MKV). It'll look fine, as the brightness would only be slightly off, but at that point what you're watching isn't being displayed how it was intended

Here is a handy dandy Dolby Vision playback support guide that the community put together: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
The Ugoos AM6B Plus is one of the few devices capable of actually correctly playing Dolby Vision with a Full Enhancement Layer in a .mkv file (as the spreadsheet you linked mentions).
(2022-07-04, 23:24)JoseTheBae Wrote: [ -> ]The Ugoos AM6B Plus is one of the few devices capable of actually correctly playing Dolby Vision with a Full Enhancement Layer in a .mkv file (as the spreadsheet you linked mentions).

The one with the comments that say "But I have a doubt the player is downconverting to 2k, then upconvert to 4k, also not hdcp2.2" and "*FEL goes out of sync if you FF/RW *FEL goes out of sync if you resume a video"?