Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2021-01-30, 10:41)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-30, 01:22)ragico Wrote: [ -> ]The problem was caused by a lack of internal memory in the firestick.

For other people with the same or a similar problem: How did you recognize that it’s a lack of internal memory and how did you solve it?

Regards Hoppel
I had only 400Mb free on the firestick internal storage, so made some more room and this time (upon a new installation) kodi worked as expected.
I will try to find a way to add more memory to the Firestick via external usb flasdrive.
(2021-01-25, 21:21)MyTull Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 20:32)fera27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 20:23)MyTull Wrote: [ -> ]The latest Tsmuxer supports DV. You’ll have to convert your .ts file to .mkv!

And how? Sad
What is the data flow here? .ts file -> Tsmuxer: mux into iso -> makemkv: mux into mkv?

This is what works for me:

.ts file -> MKVToolNix -> MakeMKV

MKVToolNix hasn’t been updated to support DV yet so the mkv file it creates doesn’t have the DV data. Fortunately MakeMKV restores that DV data!

Sometimes MKVToolNix doesn’t recognize the videotrack in the .ts file. In that case the data flow is:

.ts file -> Tsmuxer -> MKVToolNix -> MakeMKV

The extra first step creates a new .ts file that is compatible with MKVToolNix. There might be better ways to do this but this is the only way I know of atm.
Thank you, I finally had time to try out your method, it works absolutely great Blush 

This might be a long shot, but I have to ask:
I am generally using Coreelec, and I love it. As far as I understand, the DV-capability depends only on FFMPEG and no Andriod-only libraries/tools are involved in the playback process?
If so, do you guys think it's possible to build a Coreelec version with this modified Kodi v19 for AM6Plus? 
 That way I won't have to switch between Android and Coreelec.
(SMB sharing is not working under Android - only version 1, and my Win10 cannot accept it - neither torrents properly, so I would like to stick with Coreelec, if it is a possibility)
(2021-02-02, 12:35)fera27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 20:32)fera27 Wrote: [ -> ]And how? Sad
What is the data flow here? .ts file -> Tsmuxer: mux into iso -> makemkv: mux into mkv?

MKVToolNix hasn’t been updated to support DV yet so the mkv file it creates doesn’t have the DV data. Fortunately MakeMKV restores that DV data!

Sometimes MKVToolNix doesn’t recognize the videotrack in the .ts file. In that case the data flow is:

The extra first step creates a new .ts file that is compatible with MKVToolNix. There might be better ways to do this but this is the only way I know of atm.
Thank you, I finally had time to try out your method, it works absolutely great Blush 

I am generally using Coreelec, and I love it. As far as I understand, the DV-capability depends only on FFMPEG and no Andriod-only libraries/tools are involved in the playback process?
If so, do you guys think it's possible to build a Coreelec version with this modified Kodi v19 for AM6Plus? 
(SMB sharing is not working under Android - only version 1, and my Win10 cannot accept it - neither torrents properly, so I would like to stick with Coreelec, if it is a possibility)

I have no idea if the AM6Plus is dolby vision capable but you best bet is to ask this on coreelec forum.
Just show the code to the devs and see if they would like to use it.

You can ask vpeter (in coreelec forum), he might be interested in creating a patch from the commits that make this possible.
(2021-02-02, 12:52)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 21:21)MyTull Wrote: [ -> ]This is what works for me:

I have no idea if the AM6Plus is dolby vision capable but you best bet is to ask this on coreelec forum.
Just show the code to the devs and see if they would like to use it.

You can ask vpeter (in coreelec forum), he might be interested in creating a patch from the commits that make this possible.

Well of course it is capable  Blush I am using mine on Android with this special Kodi build. It has S922X-J Amlogic SoC (J stands for Dolby Vision licence). As far as I am concerned, only the Minix Neo U22-UJ is the other currently available DV-capable amlogic box, but they are not playing nicely with Coreelec devteam, so I've chosen Ugoos instead.

I will get the word to the coreelec forums then, thanks for your contact as well!
(2021-01-25, 20:32)fera27 Wrote: [ -> ]And how? Sad

You can enable legacy smb 1.0 support under control panel -> programs and features -> turn windows features on or off if that is of any help to you.
(2021-01-26, 21:57)araemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-26, 20:56)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to everyone involved whose been working on this. I am out of the loop and new to this (haven't had time to commit to properly research) but have read through this thread and some of the makemkv threads as best as I could. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:

My setup: Sony x900h (v 6.0414--> should have TV led DV) connected via HDMI eARC to my Yamaha RX-V585 AVR, and have an atmos speaker setup (so I need my files in MKV so I can get TrueHD with Atmos audio)
I use makemkv 1.15.4 to convert my 4k HDR rips (BD structure) to MKVs. Mediainfo suggests that the DV layer is preserved. When I get home I'll update this, but I believe it reads something along the lines of 07.06 BL-EL-RPU. 

1) I've previously used PLEX to play my files. DV worked for some of them but not others (despite having the same DV profile as far as I could tell). Granted, it stopped working after I updated my TV and/or PLEX. 
As I understand it, I need to install custom builds of KODI onto my TV to get DV capabilities. Most people here use a shield, but there seems to be at least 1-2 people that have gotten DV working on the x900h with KODI. How do I install these custom builds via usb? Is it packaged as an .apk file? Which build should I use?

2) Do I need to edit anything within the build or files? Ie. do I need to change my workflow to go from BD structure to mkv--> is using makemkv sufficient?

3) Do I playback files over the network, or can it work via direct play off an external HDD?

4) How do I tell which DV profile my MKVs have? How can I tell if its dual layer vs single layer (as I understand makemkv converts it such that the mkvs are single layer?). Are there specific profiles that wont work on the x900h/kodi?

Thanks again for everyones work and thanks in advance for your help.

1/5: The limitations on apps running in the TV's Android TV interface (other than the 'blessed' apps) is why I got a Shield TV.  I had hoped that I wouldn't need to buy another shield TV given the built-in android TV, but as far as I could tell, kodi running on the TV itself couldn't even output 4k.  When I displayed 4k test patterns with kodi, they did not have ANYWHERE near the level of detail/resolution expected.  Think grey blobs instead of 1/2/3 pixel width lines.  Kodi running on Shield TV plugged into HDMI 1, with my speaker system plugged into HDMI 3 with eARC enabled, plays 4k HDR, with TrueHD or Master Audio passthrough (and atmos passthrough on both DD+ and TrueHD, and DTS:X on both DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA).. basically, the only thing I'm lacking is proper dolby vision support.  I haven't tried any builds in this thread yet - I am waiting for matrix to be released in general so I don't have to worry about my DB being version bumped between different players on my network.

3: Kodi doesn't care where the file is stored, as long as it can access it fast enough for the file's bitrate.

4: MediaInfo can often tell you what DV profile a file has (if the container/profile is supported by MediaInfo, at least)
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

1/5: THANK YOU! I've always felt something was off when using kodi to play 4k hdr remuxes. I'm glad its not just me. It never looked anywhere near as good as the native media player app. When I asked for recommendations on player apps, everyone suggested kodi but I knew something wasn't right. I love the UI of kodi and wish it worked properly on sony android tv. I may have to look into getting a shield.

4: So I've been using mediainfo. For one of my files, it says its dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible/SMPTE ST2086 HDR 10 compatible. Does this mean its profile 6 or 7?

thanks again
(2021-01-25, 02:37)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 01:03)tvwatchzz Wrote: [ -> ]hey thanks for the app but it dosnt trigger dolby vision on my sony xh90(x900h)

It works fine for me....

But please make a 18.9 32bit build, not everybody has a shield pro.
To you and @tvwatchzz how did you guys install the build on your x900h? Whenever I try installing the .apk via usb (ive tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions and 4 different TV file managers), I get an error saying "app not installed". 
thanks
(2021-02-02, 21:58)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 01:03)tvwatchzz Wrote: [ -> ]hey thanks for the app but it dosnt trigger dolby vision on my sony xh90(x900h)

It works fine for me....

To you and @tvwatchzz how did you guys install the build on your x900h? Whenever I try installing the .apk via usb (ive tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions and 4 different TV file managers), I get an error saying "app not installed". 
thanks

I used file explorer to connect to my nas and installed it that way, only the matrix 32bit version though
(2021-02-02, 22:28)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-25, 02:37)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]It works fine for me....

thanks

I used file explorer to connect to my nas and installed it that way, only the matrix 32bit version though
Thanks. When you say matrix 32bit, are you talking about the official builds or the matrix 32 bit posted on the first comment in this thread?
(2021-02-03, 21:35)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 22:28)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 21:58)jayf95 Wrote: [ -> ]To you and @tvwatchzz how did you guys install the build on your x900h? Whenever I try installing the .apk via usb (ive tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions and 4 different TV file managers), I get an error saying "app not installed". 
thanks

Thanks. When you say matrix 32bit, are you talking about the official builds or the matrix 32 bit posted on the first comment in this thread?

Off coarse fandangos built, official built doesn’t support dv yet, obviously
(2021-01-25, 01:03)tvwatchzz Wrote: [ -> ][font][font]Hola, gracias por la aplicación, pero no activa Dolby Vision en mi sony xh90 (x900h)[/font][/font]

[font][font]Funciona bien para mí ... [/font][/font]

[font][font]Pero por favor haz una compilación de 18.9 32 bits, no todos tienen un shield pro.[/font][/font]
[font][font]Para ti y @ "tvwatchzz", ¿cómo instalaron la compilación en su x900h? [/font][font]Siempre que intento instalar el .apk a través de usb (he probado las versiones de 64 bits y 32 bits y 4 administradores de archivos de TV diferentes), aparece un error que dice "aplicación no instalada". [/font][/font]
[font][font]Gracias[/font][/font]

[font][font]Tengo el mismo televisor e instalé la versión RC 19 de 32 bits sin problemas, para instalar en tu televisor android desde el explorador de archivos, tienes que activar la instalación desde fuentes desconocidas y darle permisos al explorador de archivos para instalar. [/font][/font]
[font][font]Ayer probé la versión RC de 32 bits en el Tv X900H y Dolby no es del todo correcto, la reproducción no es fluida. [/font][font]Esperando con ganas la versión estable para ver si va mejor[/font][/font]

It works fine for me....

thanks
Sorry for the previous answer, I don't know what my browser has done.
I have the same tv and I installed the RC 19 32-bit version without problems, to install on your android tv from file explorer, you have to activate the installation from unknown sources and give the file explorer permissions to install.
I tested the 32-bit RC version yesterday on the Tv X900H and dolby is not quite right, the playback is not smooth. Waiting with desire for the stable version to see if it goes better
(2021-01-26, 23:41)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please tell me how to make a 18.9 32bit build for dv myself, I can’t seem to find anybody that is doing this, if so please tell me so...

@fandagos

did you make compilation 18.9 for android tv at the end? did you make it with plex to watch DV? It is to test it on my X900h that the RC19 is not running smoothly yet
(2021-02-04, 09:56)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-26, 23:41)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please tell me how to make a 18.9 32bit build for dv myself, I can’t seem to find anybody that is doing this, if so please tell me so...

@fandagos

did you make compilation 18.9 for android tv at the end? did you make it with plex to watch DV? It is to test it on my X900h that the RC19 is not running smoothly yet

No I didn’t, I wanted to, but I have no knowledge and no expertise in remotely doing something like that. So I thought instead of bashing my head for weeks in doing so, I could just better wait till an experienced person can do it in maybe couple of min/hours.

I have a Plex server on my nas and it’s updated, so some files already works on Plex.

All files work in Kodi, I’ll admit they don’t work flawlessly, still have some stuttering and freezes, but the profile that is used on movies, works with almost no problems, till you try to skip, then problems can occur.
(2021-02-04, 17:43)Angelots Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-04, 09:56)alestew Wrote: [ -> ]

@fandagos

No I didn’t, I wanted to, but I have no knowledge and no expertise in remotely doing something like that. So I thought instead of bashing my head for weeks in doing so, I could just better wait till an experienced person can do it in maybe couple of min/hours.

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

A experienced person usually has a magic wand in his/her's pocket that builds things magically in a few seconds.

Can you imagine?
That's not the same exact work for everybody..

certain people can bypass the time and space continuum and just reach the result without having to pass by the work.

Me, as a veterinarian with my first kid to arrive in a few weeks, I'm lucky that I've found that magic wand around the house so I could skip the work part and just arrive at the result.