Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote control question with Pi4 + TV Hat DVBT + Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I'm new here and I'm new with kodi.....I've got a question.
I'm going to setup a tv box with PI 4 + TV HAT + KODI just to see new Dvb T2 channels.
I'm wondering if, once setup the box with a compatible RF remote control set, is it possible to switch tv channels like in a normal Tv set.
Just for example....clicking button 2 on remote control I expect to go to Dvb T2 channel 2 and so on, or if it is mandatory opening every time kodi Tv menu and select the desired channel in the channels list.
Any feedback is really appreciated.
Thx & Bye
I've just done a quick test on my Windows PC. Start TV playing. Press number keys on the keyboard. Doesn't change channel.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect this to work with a remote either. I just go through the menus every time. It doesn't occur to me to do it differently. You don't really want TV 'playing' constantly anyway, as it will timeshift to your memory card or hard drive, which will cause wear and tear. No sense doing this unless you are actually watching.

So, for me it isn't a hassle to go to the TV guide and select a new channel.
(2021-01-24, 00:21)mcelliott Wrote: [ -> ]I've just done a quick test on my Windows PC. Start TV playing. Press number keys on the keyboard. Doesn't change channel.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect this to work with a remote either. I just go through the menus every time. It doesn't occur to me to do it differently. You don't really want TV 'playing' constantly anyway, as it will timeshift to your memory card or hard drive, which will cause wear and tear. No sense doing this unless you are actually watching.

So, for me it isn't a hassle to go to the TV guide and select a new channel.
Hi
are you using a windows pc without a remote control and not raspberry?
I think it's different.
(2021-01-24, 10:56)aidandorc Wrote: [ -> ]are you using a windows pc without a remote control and not raspberry?
I think it's different.

The number keys on a remote emulate the keyboard keys. I didn't try with my raspberry Pi's but I've got enough experience with Kodi on different systems and with different remotes to have a good idea!
(2021-01-23, 23:03)aidandorc Wrote: [ -> ]Hello
I'm going to setup a tv box with PI 4 + TV HAT + KODI just to see new Dvb T2 channels.
I'm wondering if, once setup the box with a compatible RF remote control set, is it possible to switch tv channels like in a normal Tv set.
Just for example....clicking button 2 on remote control I expect to go to Dvb T2 channel 2 and so on, or if it is mandatory opening every time kodi Tv menu and select the desired channel in the channels list.
Thx & Bye

If you are using TV Headend, then entering channel numbers whilst watching one channel will switch you to that channel.  I do it all the time. I'm using the default Estuary Skin in case that is relevant.

There is a degree of delay I think - so 2+Enter/OK is quicker than just 2 - as in the latter case it waits for additional numbers in case you want channel number 20 or 200 for example.  If you have (or can map) the right keys on your remote you can also do CH+/CH- as well.
(2021-01-24, 12:07)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
Thx & Bye

If you are using TV Headend, then entering channel numbers whilst watching one channel will switch you to that channel.  I do it all the time. I'm using the default Estuary Skin in case that is relevant.

There is a degree of delay I think - so 2+Enter/OK is quicker than just 2 - as in the latter case it waits for additional numbers in case you want channel number 20 or 200 for example.  If you have (or can map) the right keys on your remote you can also do CH+/CH- as well.

Thank you very much!
Are you using an air remote control with the usb dongle receiver?
How to map CH+/CH- buttons? From kodi system settings? 
do these keys work in your remote control?
Thx
I've just tried with my Harmony remote with MCE receiver, this time with a Raspberry Pi 4, and using TVHeadEnd.

The number keys on the remote did NOT change channel, but the channel up/down button did.

In view of the comments from noggin, I suspect this may be because the number keys are not automatically mapped. However, you might want to bear this in mind. Then again, the number keys on my PC, also using TVHeadEnd, did not change channel!
(2021-01-24, 13:21)aidandorc Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-01-24, 12:07)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
Thx & Bye

Thank you very much!
Are you using an air remote control with the usb dongle receiver?
How to map CH+/CH- buttons? From kodi system settings? 
do these keys work in your remote control?
Thx
I'm afraid I'm not using that receiver. I either use a USB keyboard or a TSOP-interfaced spare IR remote and a custom IR config mainly.