Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Currently XBMC for Linux recommended motherboard?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was wondering what the currently recommended (aka. known fully working) motherboard is.

My mandatory requirements are:
- Micro ATX form factor
- Intel CPU support
- onboard video with HDMI/DVI connector (capable of 1080p with enough CPU)
- optical digital audio output (with working DD, DTS and PCM pass through)
- Gigabit LAN

Desirables include:
- Firewire
- eSATA
- coax digital audio output

The closest matching motherboard that I am aware of is the ABIT I-N73HD. Are there any other decent options? Thanks in advance.
seems you forgot 1 point..

$$$$ how much are you willing to spend?

lets see you have:
Abit I-N73HD 52 euro
matx
intel
onboard hdmi,
SPDIF how what don't know
gigabit lan check.

extra
firewire
videocard=128MB nVidia® GeForce 7100 DX9 Graphics shared, Shader Model 3
Sound: High Definition 7.1 Channel
passive northbridge cooling

Asus P5N-EM HDMI 52euro
mATX
intel
onboard hdmi OR dvi&&vga
optical but with an extra bracket (its onboard just needs a little cable)
gigabit lan

extra
passively cooled
2x pci
1x pcie for if you want an exta vid card (future proof?)
ALC662, 8 Channel High-Definition
grafic: 256MB nVidia® GeForce 7100 shared

Asus P5QL-EM 90euro
mATX
intel
onboard hdmi
SPDIF
gigabit lan

extra
esata
firewire
Realtek ALC1200 7.1 Channel HD
videocard:352MB Intel® GMA X4500 DX10 Graphics shared
max 8gb the others are max 4gb.
PCIe 2.0 x 16

Asus P5E-VM HDMI 95euro
mATX
intel
onboard hdmi&&vga
SPDIF
gigabit lan

extra
firewire
6xusb 2.0
vid card: 384MB Intel® GMA X3500 Graphics shared
Realtek ALC883 7.1 Channel HD
PCIe

MSI P6NGM-FIH 60euro
mATX
intel
onboard hdmi&&vga
NO SPDIF
gigabit lan

extra
firewire
esata
vidcard: 256MB nVidia® GeForce 7100 Graphics shared
audio Realtek ALC888 7.1 Channel HD
1xPCIe x1, 1xPCIe x16
Look at the Shuttle XPCs. One of them has the slots on the opposite side from normal to allow for video cards with big heat sinks. Yeah, that's not "onboard" but they are cheap enough and can be gotten with passive colling - like mine. That leaves you with a SFF computer that looks good, was cake to put together, and should have all of the other amenities you need like some sort of digital audio out. I've not looked in a few months but NewEgg had at least one that would have been perfect had I known then what I know now.
Thanks icekiler!

I'll go through your list to see if there is anything there I like. Price isn't really a concern when compared to compatibility, reliability and features.

BLKMGK, I like Shuttle PC's but I hate their form factor for the purposes of a HTPC.

In fact that's the other (and perhaps more difficult) half of my problem. What case I want something that is the same dimensions as regular components. This immediately rules out my favourite case, the Antec Fusion (it's too wide.. By a few millimitres) as it does not physically fit in many stands designed specifically to accommodate HT gear.

The Micro Fusion looks to be my only hope but who knows if it will ever actually be available (the NSK1480 looked to be the better option until it totally disappeared). Depth of all these cases is a concern too :/

Any suggestions for cases around the size of the Antec Minuet or Antec Fusion (but slightly narrower) and nothing too tall either (just tall enough for a full height PCI card) would also be gratefully appreciated.

Availability here in Australia can be a problem.

P.S. Sorry for the rambling and complete lack of structure of this post but I was just brainstorming before my laptop battery runs out.
There's also the Intel G45 based chipsets coming out which have all this. The Intel produced Micro-ATX (DG45ID) should become available in Australia early September, with Asus, MSI etc to follow with theirs shortly afterwards.

You will, however, have to use a bleeding edge distribution and can probably expect some teething issues. I've got my DG45ID coming on September 3, so I can come back and let you know how well everything works.
The case I'm using looks much like a standard stereo component - I can measure if needed. However... the IR receiver isn't supported with the standard Lirc package and the display is also not supported by the standard LCDproc package. You can dick around with it and get it working but I'm novice enough that I threw in the towel. You will also find that it has NO vents on the bottom - most\many P/S vent downwards and will be strangled by this. The solution offered to me was to DRILL big gaping holes in the bottom <sigh> which is what I did. Not visible but a bit sharp when it's being moved. You might be able to find a P/S that vents differently but I bought two that looked like they would work and gave up. The side fan is also a LITTLE noisy but only because it draws air through such a small grill, take the case off and you cannot hear it. Built pretty well otherwise out of steel with an aluminum front. Given a choice, I'd swap it for an XPC in a heartbeat - odd size or not. <shrug>
While the Intel G45 may turn out to be the best option that's still some months away. Hopefully Ubuntu 8.10 will fully support it in October.

Check out this enlightening review:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...00hd&num=1

The Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H also looks like a good option currently. One ups the Abit with an eSATA connector.
I always thought the better choice with Ubuntu would be a MB with Nvidia graphics?
Or have I missed something ? :unsure
Running system in sign below, Intel gfx that works very well.
But i will swap the mb for the new G45 from Gigabyte, GA-EG45M-DS2H

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Moth...uctID=2877

XFX nForce-630i+GF7150

On board NVidia GF7150.

Video outputs:
1x VGA
1x DVI-I
1x HDMI (with HDCP)

Digital audio out (SPDIF) via Composite and a mobo connector for TOSLINK via adaptor.

The problem with G45 being that it is currently not practical as the link I provided shows.
Hopefully soon that will change.
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H w/ Geforce 7100, DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16, HDMI, DVI-HDCP

This board runs flawlessly with Ubuntu and is cheap. Not sure what it is in the states but in Canada it retails for around $90.

I want to buy GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard for my HTPC. Is it good?
davidw89 Wrote:I want to buy GA-MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard for my HTPC. Is it good?

dude thats just uncool.. give more information next time..

anyway thats a AMD motherboard.. and for the moment c2d seems to be the only one (well c2q too) that can play 1080p

also it has an onboard ati aka not really great support with XBMC...

or linux really.. so my vote would be no.. look at my list...

i'm pretty sure all the best ones available right now in EU are in it..