Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Posterizing/Banding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I picked up a new Philips 4K TV, and connected a Pi4 running Kodi through RetroPie. Something I've never noticed before on any other setup is posterizing. This usually occurs when running the YouTube app, but also when playing certain Mpeg files, despite them being rendered at 1080p. These appear fine when run on a laptop. I've tried using the in-built YouTube app with the TV, and although the image quality isn't as sharp as it is with Kodi, even when streaming the same video, curiously the posterizing isn't visible nearly as much, if at all.

My thinking is there could be some miscommunication between the Pi and the TV, and perhaps the color space is being misinterpreted? Very grateful for any advice.
Pretty sure that is just how the video is encoded. Low bitrate videos tend to show quantisation of colours, especially darker ones.
It's possible that the built in app applies some post processing (e.g. smoothing) but that may contribute to the lower sharpness.