Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: general questions about videos in kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone, some questions about video usage in kodi.

on my NAS I have a set of videos who comes from a local TV provider. I downloaded them and saved on my NAS.
  • coulo_20200826_full_fhd.mp4
  • coulo_20200825_full_fhd.mp4
  • coulo_20200824_full_fhd.mp4
I would like to make them visible in Kodi, not only as a file with this name (coulo_20200824_full_fhd.mp4) but also as a "media" with thumbnail. When I try to import them from the "video" menu entry of Kodi, there are not visible. I only can open them from the configured source using "Files".

What is the best way to make them visible? I see them as file but they are not recognized into my library.

Many thanks for your advices.

Raphael
(2021-02-02, 06:06)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best way to make them visible? I see them as file but they are not recognized into my library.
Regardless of how you prefer your file naming, tThose files are incorrectly name and cannot be added to the library.

Can you find the show at https://www.themoviedb.org/ ?
(2021-02-02, 06:18)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 06:06)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best way to make them visible? I see them as file but they are not recognized into my library.
Regardless of how you prefer your file naming, tThose files are incorrectly name and cannot be added to the library.

I don't prefer this file naming, I becam them when I downloaded them :-)

I can't find them on www.themoviedb.org because they are not movies but report (https://www.rts.ch/info/couleurs-locales/podcasts/)
(2021-02-02, 06:18)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]

So I guess I must find a way to add some meta informations like title, date, ... and also a thumbnail ?
(2021-02-02, 09:27)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]I can't find them on www.themoviedb.org because they are not movies but report (https://www.rts.ch/info/couleurs-locales/podcasts/)
Ok, understand.

(2021-02-02, 09:29)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]So I guess I must find a way to add some meta informations like title, date, ... and also a thumbnail ?
Yes, you will need to use NFO Files.

Before you do, you need to decide if you want these scanned as Movies or TV Shows.

Which one?
@owegenadmin

Do not use the report option of this forum to reply to users (they won't see any of it) or to get extra attention.
(2021-02-02, 09:31)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 09:27)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]I can't find them on www.themoviedb.org because they are not movies but report (https://www.rts.ch/info/couleurs-locales/podcasts/)
Ok, understand.
(2021-02-02, 09:29)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]So I guess I must find a way to add some meta informations like title, date, ... and also a thumbnail ?
Yes, you will need to use NFO Files.

Before you do, you need to decide if you want these scanned as Movies or TV Shows.

Which one?

they should be scanned as tv shows
(2021-02-02, 09:33)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]@owegenadmin

Do not use the report option of this forum to reply to users (they won't see any of it) or to get extra attention.

you mean the "reply" button?
(2021-02-02, 09:49)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]they should be scanned as tv shows
Ok, then you need to create NFO Files. You need one tvshow.nfo for the TV Show, then you need one nfo file for each episode.

You can copy the templates here for both types... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_shows
Copy the templates into your own file, add the information and when you are finished, scan them into the library.
There are screenshots on that page that show you how it all fits together.
(2021-02-02, 09:50)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 09:33)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]@owegenadmin

you mean the "reply" button?

The reply button (with the left pointing arrow icon) is fine.

The report button (with the flag icon) is the one he is referring to, and to be avoided unless actually needed.
(2021-02-02, 09:55)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 09:49)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]they should be scanned as tv shows
Ok, then you need to create NFO Files. You need one tvshow.nfo for the TV Show, then you need one nfo file for each episode.

You can copy the templates here for both types... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/TV_shows
Copy the templates into your own file, add the information and when you are finished, scan them into the library.
There are screenshots on that page that show you how it all fits together.

mmm, something seems to be wrong. I followed the instructions. I just test with only one tv show, as visible here. But my tv show library is still empty... Any Idea?

If that is the nfo file for the TV Show, then you have named it wrong. It has to be named tvshow.nfo as shown in the images.

You also must add the UniqueID. Unless you have something better, then use
xml:
<uniqueid type="podcast" default="true">Coulers001</uniqueid>

and then each episode will increment by one - Coulers002 etc

Also, when you come to do your episodes, they need a Season and Episode number. Normally in the format S01E01. But maybe each Season could be a year, so S2021E01. You will have to decide as I don't know how many episodes there are.
(2021-02-02, 10:39)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]If that is the nfo file for the TV Show, then you have named it wrong. It has to be named tvshow.nfo as shown in the images.

You also must add the UniqueID. Unless you have something better, then use
xml:
<uniqueid type="podcast" default="true">Coulers001</uniqueid>

and then each episode will increment by one - Coulers002 etc

Also, when you come to do your episodes, they need a Season and Episode number. Normally in the format S01E01. But maybe each Season could be a year, so S2021E01. You will have to decide as I don't know how many episodes there are.
ok thanks, do I have to add the UniqueID in the episode right?

I Change the structure to make it easier for you to understand.

(2021-02-02, 11:02)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]ok thanks, do I have to add the UniqueID in the episode right?
And the tvshow.nfo.

Your episodes are not named correctly. You have the following which won't work...
Cuolo_20200828_full_fhd.mp4

Change it to...
Cuolo S2020E0828.mp4
Cuolo S2020E0828.nfo
Cuolo S2020E0828-thumb.jpg

(2021-02-02, 11:09)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-02, 11:02)owegenadmin Wrote: [ -> ]ok thanks, do I have to add the UniqueID in the episode right?
And the tvshow.nfo.

Your episodes are not named correctly. You have the following which won't work...
Cuolo_20200828_full_fhd.mp4

Change it to...
Cuolo S2020E0828.mp4
Cuolo S2020E0828.nfo
Cuolo S2020E0828-thumb.jpg

inside tvshow.nfo:

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<tvshow>
    <title>Couleurs locales RTS 2020</title>
    <plot></plot>
    <userrating></userrating>