Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 19 crash on startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
Since Kodi 19 beta I never managed to run Kodi 19 on my iMac. I have no issue with 18.X, however with both beta/rc/final version of Kodi 19, it crashes upon start.
I tried both upgrade and brand new installation but couldn't figure out the root cause.
Any suggestion? Thanks!
what about posting debug log and crash log? Chances are that you have an add-on that doesn't support Python3.
I do encounter the same issue on a macbook pro with macos big sur using a fresh Kodi install. Kodi 18.x works great.

Log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/raxigiyofa.kodi
(2021-02-20, 23:25)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Since Kodi 19 beta I never managed to run Kodi 19 on my iMac. I have no issue with 18.X, however with both beta/rc/final version of Kodi 19, it crashes upon start.
I tried both upgrade and brand new installation but couldn't figure out the root cause.
Any suggestion? Thanks!
I have the same problem, except I was actually able to run one of the 19 Betas. Now, it just dumps back to the Finder. Basic crash data:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [809]

VM Regions Near 0:
-->
    __TEXT                 0000000109981000-0000000114108000 [167.5M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Kodi 19.app/Contents/MacOS/Kodi

We go through this every time an Alpha becomes a Beta/RC. After a couple of months, Kodi will magically start working and nobody will say "Boo" about why. *SIGH*
(2021-02-22, 12:42)ac0mputerguru Wrote: [ -> ]Basic crash data

why not posting full crash data? From this excerpt it is only clear that some null pointer was accessed.
Crashing on start up as well here, just updated to 19, clean install. - well deleting kodi in application folder at least....

error log

https://0bin.net/paste/dbmM-2wZ#ViDVemUL...24MwDNJZJY
(2021-02-22, 16:24)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-22, 12:42)ac0mputerguru Wrote: [ -> ]Basic crash data

why not posting full crash data? From this excerpt it is only clear that some null pointer was accessed.
Because we're not supposed to post crash data on here. I'm just using the current version v18 until they get it fixed. To repeat myself, this happens EVERY TIME they update Kodi. I've been the good boy and tried to help in 17 and 18, but was fluffed off. Kewl. I won't waste my time, other than to say that it isn't working again.
You can put the crash log onto a paste site, just like any other log file thats requested.

You say it fails every time, but anecdotally i've downloaded from the downloads page, and run the v19 release with no issues whatsoever. 
Unfortunately because someone posts a log doesnt mean anyone will necessarily be able to fix/assist the issue, but no log guarantees that no one will be able to help.
Hi, just want to report removing userdata solves the issue, but I have to reconfigure Kodi from scratch.
On Windows the experience is much better, it automatically migrates all plugins.
(2021-02-23, 11:24)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just want to report removing userdata solves the issue, but I have to reconfigure Kodi from scratch.

Not so much a solution, but more a workaround. Possibly some setting(s) that got mangled during the update.
Unsupported v19 skins can also get you similar results.
(2021-02-23, 03:30)Pdubbbs Wrote: [ -> ]Crashing on start up as well here, just updated to 19, clean install. - well deleting kodi in application folder at least....

error log

https://0bin.net/paste/dbmM-2wZ#ViDVemUL...24MwDNJZJY

thanks. At least it's clear now that it's related to one of VFS addons. Although pretty strange that it happens on clean install.

FYI I couldn't reproduce on Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur (the latter running via Rosetta).
(2021-02-23, 11:24)somy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, just want to report removing userdata solves the issue, but I have to reconfigure Kodi from scratch.
On Windows the experience is much better, it automatically migrates all plugins.

So I just did the same, just went into library/application support , and there was a 1.8GB folder titled Kodi, deleted that as well, and re installed Kodi 19 and now it runs. Although its unfortunate I will need to re configure everything, at least I have my library sorted with NFO files so it's mainly, skins, add ons etc, 19 better be worth it, and hopefully they made the subtitle font borders less ugly, that's all I want really.
Yeah, I restored my user data and went back to Kodi 18 on my Mac. I won't be starting from scratch with this huge library unless there's no other choice.
I migrated from kodi 18 to 19 on Catalina on a 2012 mac mini like this.

Export your library as separate files just to have a backup. Then backup you userdata.

Then delete our kodi installation inc. the full KODI userdata folder..not just userdata - the full KODI applicatikokn support folder !!!

REMOVE THIS FOLDER - after backup of userdata inside the kodi folder below.

Where: /Users/mac/Library/Application Support/Kodi

Install Matrix

Move your database files from the old userdata folder, or import liberay.

I just copied the \database + \Thumbnails + \keymap   and sources.xml etc from my old userdata backup to the new userdata folder.

Then reinstall the addons you need and set everything up again.

Then you have a totally fresh kodi matrix installation that works fine...and the new netflex app just runs smooth and almost no hichups.

One thing..KODI matris does NOT load the harmony remote keymap properly..or the xbmchelper ;O/

I made an issue at git and in this forum ..but not response from either as of yet ;O(

Hope it works out for you.

KODI on mac is pretty awesome ;O)
I'm getting crashes in Kodi 19 Matrix on my 2012 Mac Mini Server.  I'll attach the log below, but this is the OSX crash report info:
Quote:Crashed Thread:        17  JobWorker

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [63156]

KODI LOG at Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/uh7cFSG1

At first, it seemed to crash when going to MOVIES (almost immediately).  Originally, it had a CODESIGNING 0x2 fault so I resigned the app.  It then crashed with the above worker type crash (not same exact one).  I deleted the entire KODI application support directory and started new, but imported my database files from my FIRETV KODI 19 (working fine there) and moved to Confluence and imported the FIRETV's source and password list to save time.  It crashed while just looking around the settings files.  It crashes seemingly random after a certain amount of time regardless.  Going to MOVIES just seemed to speed things up.  I've tried starting a movie from the quick icons and search bar (before deleting the KODI directory) and the movie started up just fine and was playing fine.  It seems to crash just sitting in the menu systems.  KODI 18 worked perfectly fine here on the same Mac.
Pages: 1 2