Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VPN setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I've various kodi (amazon fire stick tv, linux pc etc...) in various places.
I've films only in my home lan.
So, i need an addon or other tip, that permit me to configure a VPN to my home.
My home has a VPN on my home router, so i can access to lan of home by phone, pc etc...
i want to access to my vpn with kodi to.
Is thos possible?
Thank you very much.
another thing, sorry, if it's possible, i need to use an L2TP type for better security reasons.
Thanks
We do not support VPN usage here.

Please see our VPN Policy (wiki) for details.

Your intended usage is on the light side of the grey line of using one, but as too many people want to use them for purposes that violate our piracy policy (wiki) then we cannot offer assistance here.

I would suggest you look into other network forums more targetted to VPNs as it's not really a Kodi-specific request in this case.
Hi, thank you,
I read wiki and policy but I thought i was only for "illegal" questions.
Before write here I searched in the web but i found only articles about VPN services, there isn't my case...
But, contrary to what you think, i mean kodi specific request, because obviously i can create a VPN to my home in OS that hosts my various kodi installations, but if i do that, all OS is in VPN to my home, so every internet request pass to my home and clogs my internet home connection.
Instead, i want ONLY kodi in VPN mode, so is kodi that can make VPN connection to my home, not other outside it.
do you understand what I want to do?
thanks
I do, but what you're wanting to do is outside Kodi itself and so not something we would support. There are no VPN addons that we support here.

So as noted, chose which flavour of VPN you're wanting to set up and then use the web to find their support forum and ask there on how to set things up for a specific app.

It is not something we support, as any support for such legitimate usage can easily be subverted and used for ways that we do not support through our piracy policy (wiki), either for sidestepping geolocking or trying to hide the use of banned addons (wiki) from ISPs etc.
so, for the same reason, stop fully supporting kodi itself, because it is being used for illegal purposes anyway.
And, in any case, other team created addon to vpn, even if you want.
IMHO, i thing is right to support right things, but i accept your answer.
Thank you for the support anyway
there is nothing to support from our end. VPNs are setup on the OS level, so you're looking at how to configure your addon in your linux distro.
Quote:there is nothing to support from our end.
I understand, you've already said me manu times.

Quote:VPNs are setup on the OS level
No, i already explained that i can't configure VPN in OS because i don't want all traffic uses VPN but i need that only for result in LAN with home.
Then, as I saw that there are several VPN addons in kodi, I thought there was one for a personal VPN too, so I asked, you already said no, I understand, that's okay.
I have already searched in the net anyway, and I don't think there is anything like it, that's just the reason why I asked the official forum.
(2021-02-28, 12:03)Martin4 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:there is nothing to support from our end.
I understand, you've already said me manu times.

Quote:VPNs are setup on the OS level
No, i already explained that i can't configure VPN in OS because i don't want all traffic uses VPN but i need that only for result in LAN with home.
Then, as I saw that there are several VPN addons in kodi, I thought there was one for a personal VPN too, so I asked, you already said no, I understand, that's okay.
I have already searched in the net anyway, and I don't think there is anything like it, that's just the reason why I asked the official forum.

still an OS issue. You just have to get your routing correct.
Thread moved to off-topic

(2021-02-27, 23:46)Martin4 Wrote: [ -> ]so, for the same reason, stop fully supporting kodi itself, because it is being used for illegal purposes anyway.
And, in any case, other team created addon to vpn, even if you want.

People can use Kodi however they want. We can't control that, and would not wish to do so. But we do have the option on what we offer support for, and we no not support anyone who is using banned addons (wiki) or such illegal purposes.

Equally what other teams create as 3rd party addons is up to them, but it's also up to them to support their addons and any stability, crashing or security issues that their addons create in Kodi.

There are genuine reasons to use VPNs, but Kodi does not need them to operate (and most commonly people are using them for bypassing geolocking which is against our piracy policy (wiki)). And for the genuine reasons, they are outside of Kodi anyway and in most cases involve 3rd party VPN services which are being paid for, and part of that payment is to supply support for them.