Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow motion playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a raspberry pi 3+ running Kodi 18.7 connected to my backend running Mythtv 0.27. My backend is 14.04 because anything higher doesn't support my OTA Tv Card ASC-110. I am in the US getting OTA with an antenna and getting guide data from OTA. I was running the fake kms. I did an update of the Raspberry Pi OS and then all of a sudden it made my mythtv run in slow mo when watching liveTV and recordings as well so it was unusable. It did not effect other areas of Kodi just mythtv as I streamed video without issue. I checked the recordings on the backend by using the mythfrontend and I didn't see any issues. I ended up going back to the legacy driver and it works but it didn't work as well as the fake dkms at least before it caused problems. I thought maybe it was the mythtv pvr so i tried installing and reinstalling. It would seem my issue is the mythtv pvr but I'm not sure. I also made sure keep sync was turned off in Kodi's settings. I also made sure that my GPU is set to 256MB.  Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem or how to troubleshoot?
(2021-02-27, 04:27)stuckinthehome Wrote: [ -> ]I have a raspberry pi 3+ running Kodi 18.7 connected to my backend running Mythtv 0.27. My backend is 14.04 because anything higher doesn't support my OTA Tv Card ASC-110. I am in the US getting OTA with an antenna and getting guide data from OTA. I was running the fake kms. I did an update of the Raspberry Pi OS and then all of a sudden it made my mythtv run in slow mo when watching liveTV and recordings as well so it was unusable. It did not effect other areas of Kodi just mythtv as I streamed video without issue. I checked the recordings on the backend by using the mythfrontend and I didn't see any issues. I ended up going back to the legacy driver and it works but it didn't work as well as the fake dkms at least before it caused problems. I thought maybe it was the mythtv pvr so i tried installing and reinstalling. It would seem my issue is the mythtv pvr but I'm not sure. I also made sure keep sync was turned off in Kodi's settings. I also made sure that my GPU is set to 256MB.  Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem or how to troubleshoot?
It sounds like you no longer have the Raspberry Pi MPEG2 license installed for HW decoding of the OTA stream.  If you swapped SD cards as part of the update, or you overwrite the SD card with a new ISO image you probably wiped out the config.txt file.  The MPEG2  license code is added to config.txt on the SD card.

https://www.howtogeek.com/137654/how-to-...pberry-pi/
(2021-03-09, 22:00)goldpizza44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-27, 04:27)stuckinthehome Wrote: [ -> ]I have a raspberry pi 3+ running Kodi 18.7 connected to my backend running Mythtv 0.27. My backend is 14.04 because anything higher doesn't support my OTA Tv Card ASC-110. I am in the US getting OTA with an antenna and getting guide data from OTA. I was running the fake kms. I did an update of the Raspberry Pi OS and then all of a sudden it made my mythtv run in slow mo when watching liveTV and recordings as well so it was unusable. It did not effect other areas of Kodi just mythtv as I streamed video without issue. I checked the recordings on the backend by using the mythfrontend and I didn't see any issues. I ended up going back to the legacy driver and it works but it didn't work as well as the fake dkms at least before it caused problems. I thought maybe it was the mythtv pvr so i tried installing and reinstalling. It would seem my issue is the mythtv pvr but I'm not sure. I also made sure keep sync was turned off in Kodi's settings. I also made sure that my GPU is set to 256MB.  Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem or how to troubleshoot?
It sounds like you no longer have the Raspberry Pi MPEG2 license installed for HW decoding of the OTA stream.  If you swapped SD cards as part of the update, or you overwrite the SD card with a new ISO image you probably wiped out the config.txt file.  The MPEG2  license code is added to config.txt on the SD card.

https://www.howtogeek.com/137654/how-to-...pberry-pi/
Thanks for the help. I didn't have a MPEG license code before. Do I need this?

I tried running it without the GUI as I booted to command line and found a command to start kodi without the desktop. It didn't help.
(2021-03-10, 05:26)stuckinthehome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-27, 04:27)stuckinthehome Wrote: [ -> ] 
I no longer use Raspberry Pi for kodi preferring to use Odroid C2's and CoreElec for Kodi frontend.  Odroid have never had problems with decoding MPEG2.  I am pretty sure that software decoding of mpeg2 will create severe lags in Raspberry pi.  I do remember purchasing an MPEG2 license several years ago for Raspberry PI because the direct OTA streams would not play properly, and my fuzzy memory seems to remember that it fixed the problem.  YMMV.

I don't watch LiveTV directly much.  Normally MythTV records and I watch later.   I have my myth box immediately transcode all recordings from MPEG2 to x.264 so that recordings are stored in a smaller format (720p).   It takes my 4 core box about 45 minute to transcode a 60 minute program.    This saves disk space and also extract the CEA-708 subtitles into a standard text block in the container.  Kodi, for some reason does not work with the CEA-708 subtitles in the original MPEG2 recording.

Of course if I do watch LiveTV then none of the transcoding is done, but Odroid doesn't have problems with it like I remember having on Raspberry Pi.

However you would still need a license (I believe) to watch LiveTV since there is no transcoding on that.
(2021-03-10, 16:34)goldpizza44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-10, 05:26)stuckinthehome Wrote: [ -> ]
One more thing.  I only owned RaspberryPI 2 at the time....RaspberryPI 3 are faster so may be able to do MPEG2 software decoding but I have no experience on that, and I am not sure what codec kodi uses to do the decodes.  In that case you would not need a license and would be back to your original question of what changed during your upgrade.  

MPEG2 patents are expiring so the need for a license should become mute.  That being said, will RaspberryPI start handing the codes out for free to enable HW decoding on older PIs?  
Thanks for the help. Surprisingly, SW decoding does alright. I seem to remember it being laggy but I think that my router was the problem that I upgraded a few months back since I was streaming over wifi from the mythbackend. I did notice in the logs it said mmal not supported which I assume has to do with the MPEG license and then I think it defaulted to ffmpeg. Probably some update busted something. It'll probably work itself out through some update or I'll just stick with SW decoding as now I never get the flashing thermometer on the screen anymore (I'm not overclocking). Oh well, lesson learned.
My mistake was upgrading the kernel to 5.10 and the firmware. I read on the kernel github for the Pi that the fkms won't work with 1080p when using a Pi 3 on kernel 5.10. I rolled it back to kernel 5.4. It gave me a warning about the boot drive being too small that could make it unbootable but I gave it a go and said yes since it had kernel 5.4 on it before. Now it works properly. I learned from my mistake.