Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slowness since upgrade to 19.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Upgraded to 19.0 several days ago. All related to playback for video or music is going perfectly.
But, since the first moment after the upgrade, I've noticed that the responsiveness of the Kodi interface is slower than before.
Also, the screensaver that I use, which is the one based on movies fanart, now it shows the images 'jumping' instead of the usual smooth movement across the screen.
The PC that I use for running Kodi is an old one with low specs, but until now it has been performing perfectly with Kodi.
Has anyone else observer similar behaviour? I've tried to apply the default settings in the Kodi system config, but no luck.

Best regards
(2021-02-27, 19:05)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]screensaver that I use, which is the one based on movies fanart, now it shows the images 'jumping'
Of course I would disable this add-on as a start. There has been many changes to the code base, with new features and specs, old machines will be challenged and from the sound of your post; you may have met your equipment horizon. Kodi v19 (Matrix) changelog (wiki) for some Matrix release is the build we have been waiting for; for others something dreaded as we move into a new era. Throw me a proper debug log, and let's see if you have some background tasks that are draining your juice.
(2021-02-28, 03:16)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-27, 19:05)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]screensaver that I use, which is the one based on movies fanart, now it shows the images 'jumping'
Of course I would disable this add-on as a start. There has been many changes to the code base, with new features and specs, old machines will be challenged and from the sound of your post; you may have met your equipment horizon. Kodi v19 (Matrix) changelog (wiki) for some Matrix release is the build we have been waiting for; for others something dreaded as we move into a new era. Throw me a proper debug log, and let's see if you have some background tasks that are draining your juice.

Thanks for your answer.
I've uploaded a debug log at https://paste.kodi.tv/fenijediva
Hope it provides some clues about the cause, other than the low specs of the PC.
"Selected NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i adapter"...
Dayumn, hehe. That thing is prehistoric by now in computer terms. Big Grin

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
That processor will need to work hard, and also doing most of the GPU's work.

A modern Raspberry Pi 4B will run circles around that box video-wise. Totally quiet, and for a fraction of the electricity bill.
Nothing I could spot directly is showing up, and I'm not familiar with some of the add-ons referenced in the log. The log starts 19:30:59.696 and ends19:33:02.594 which is the ball park for a fully functioning program. Given the complexity of your set-up and your hardware why not try a slim plain jane 'portable mode' installation with no extras, and only one local source, if that performs well, I would take that further with copying of some of your userdata folder contents and see if we can leave the bug behind; if portable mode still looks to have the same issue, then the pointer would suggest hardware. Unless you have 4KUHD level equipment, I'm not sure the update makes too much sense given your issue.
(2021-02-28, 21:45)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]"Selected NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i adapter"...
Dayumn, hehe. That thing is prehistoric by now in computer terms. Big Grin

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
That processor will need to work hard, and also doing most of the GPU's work.

A modern Raspberry Pi 4B will run circles around that box video-wise. Totally quiet, and for a fraction of the electricity bill.
Yes yes... I know, I know... quite old. And probably a Raspberry would do the job effortless, no doubt.
But, you know... I have this in my living room, inside a pretty mediacenter case, with no cables at all other that power network and hdmi, and all them are not visible.
The Raspberry, even inside a cool Kodi case will force me to have an additional case for the external drive where I have the movies, shows, music... my wife would probably hate it!
But appreciate your suggestion, anyway Smile
(2021-02-28, 21:58)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing I could spot directly is showing up, and I'm not familiar with some of the add-ons referenced in the log. The log starts 19:30:59.696 and ends19:33:02.594 which is the ball park for a fully functioning program. Given the complexity of your set-up and your hardware why not try a slim plain jane 'portable mode' installation with no extras, and only one local source, if that performs well, I would take that further with copying of some of your userdata folder contents and see if we can leave the bug behind; if portable mode still looks to have the same issue, then the pointer would suggest hardware. Unless you have 4KUHD level equipment, I'm not sure the update makes too much sense given your issue.

Thanks for your proposal. Tried a portable mode install, but no luck.
Have a spare video card, but I've to figure out how to take sound thru it, as the current one is included with the motherboard, thus making video+sound output thru hdmi an easy task. Plugging the spare vga card in the motherboard makes the sound not going thru hdmi anymore, so even being that a fix for the problem I've, it will put another problem on the table. I'll figure out...
(2021-03-04, 19:50)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]The Raspberry, even inside a cool Kodi case will force me to have an additional case for the external drive where I have the movies, shows, music

Maybe there is a network solution for that..? A Raspberry Pi 4 server that provides media to your Kodi clients.

We also haven't heard you on the suggestion of "a slim plain jane 'portable mode' installation with no extras" to see where the slowness comes from.
(2021-03-04, 19:50)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]The Raspberry, even inside a cool Kodi case will force me to have an additional case for the external drive where I have the movies, shows, music... my wife would probably hate it!

No doubt a Raspberry Pi, a couple of external HDD's and a powered usb hub to connect it all up will fit inside the mediacenter case you already have if you pull out the existing stuff.  One extra (although slim) cable for the powered hub but other than that should look exactly the same.
(2021-03-04, 19:58)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-04, 19:50)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]The Raspberry, even inside a cool Kodi case will force me to have an additional case for the external drive where I have the movies, shows, music

Maybe there is a network solution for that..? A Raspberry Pi 4 server that provides media to your Kodi clients.

We also haven't heard you on the suggestion of "a slim plain jane 'portable mode' installation with no extras" to see where the slowness comes from.

Probably I posted about the portable install result just when you were writing your message. As I said, tried it, but no luck... No
(2021-03-04, 21:24)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-04, 19:50)megurrola Wrote: [ -> ]The Raspberry, even inside a cool Kodi case will force me to have an additional case for the external drive where I have the movies, shows, music... my wife would probably hate it!

No doubt a Raspberry Pi, a couple of external HDD's and a powered usb hub to connect it all up will fit inside the mediacenter case you already have if you pull out the existing stuff.  One extra (although slim) cable for the powered hub but other than that should look exactly the same.
Mmmmm... sounds interesting, although I've to see how to put that inside the case in a 'safe' way...
Hi everyone

Finally I plugged a spare Nvidia GT610 card in the motherboard, and everything started to work perfectly again.
Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions, that of course I save for the future.
I'm not sure upgrading the hardware is a true 'solve', but the flag will keep others volunteers out of this thread, and keep their efforts on focus.

Thread marked solved.