Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 19 (Matrix): Crash on Startup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Decided to upgrade from Kodi Leia to Kodi Matrix on Windows 10 recently. 
After the regular update, Kodi crashed on startup, rendering the entire software useless.

Since my Leia installation was breaking down anyway, I decided to rebuild my complete Kodi installation and library from scratch.

Did a clean install of Kodi Matrix, installed the add-ons I needed fresh from the Kodi repository. (no third party add-ons)
Started rebuilding my library, added video sources, configured playlists, configured the menu and restored the settings I liked to use.

Suddenly after a restart of Kodi, the software started crashing again upon startup, roughly during a "startup library update".
No idea what causes this, but after a few hours of work in rebuilding my Kodi installation, I'm back to square one (a faulty Kodi that won't work).

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this error?

This is my log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ejuqokunow.kodi

Should anyone need any additional information, feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to post it.
(2021-02-28, 13:58)AgitoM Wrote: [ -> ]This is my log:

2021-02-28 12:38:26.136 T:9876 INFO <general>: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0

Please enable debugging AND restart Kodi for a possibly more detailed log file.
If present, also provide the kodi crash log file, via pastebin.
Thanks for the input.

Enabled Debugging and generated a new log file:
https://paste.kodi.tv/buxafebase.kodi

There is also a crashlog .dmp file present, but don't see how I can put that one on pastebin.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if someone can explain how to provide the dmp file as well, I'd appreciate it.
The debug log is what is needed, the dmp file is only needed when requested. When having issues, it's always good to use the default skin Estuary and looking at your log I'll make the suggestion to not scan the library on start-up (should there be some library problems), deactivate 'trakt'. Let's try with that set-up for functionality, I note vfs.libarchive usage which usually indicates some .rar files? As a last note; I do have the same gfx engine, cpu and skin and my set-up is working just fine without the extras I pointed out.
(2021-02-28, 18:30)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]The debug log is what is needed, the dmp file is only needed when requested. When having issues, it's always good to use the default skin Estuary and looking at your log I'll make the suggestion to not scan the library on start-up (should there be some library problems), deactivate 'trakt'. Let's try with that set-up for functionality, I note vfs.libarchive usage which usually indicates some .rar files? As a last note; I do have the same gfx engine, cpu and skin and my set-up is working just fine without the extras I pointed out.

Thanks for the suggestion PatK.
How do I deactivate Trakt now that Kodi crashes on startup?
Is there a config change in a file somewhere that I can make?

With regards to your other advice:
Would like library scanning to happen in a automated manner, doesn't necessarily have to be on startup.
How could I best configure library scanning?

Apologies if these are simple questions, I've been using Kodi for almost a decade but never tweaked it much other it's initial setup and some plugin installations.
(2021-02-28, 18:36)AgitoM Wrote: [ -> ]How do I deactivate Trakt now that Kodi crashes on startup?
I guess I forgot the minor detail of 'crash on start', but it does look like you have an issue with the library. Let's try and get lucky... delete guisettings.xml in your userdata folder, this should allow the default skin to appear, if you have enough code (cross my fingers for you). Failing that, the diagnosis isn't nice but would involve a 'portable mode' installation in any spot you want to put it. Ensure it's functionality, then you can restart from scratch or copy most of the content of your Kodi roaming folder over, but this may induce the issue again.

Quick edit: Yes you will get back to normal scanning on launch, I suggest a manual scan is a more hands on approach, but for the purposes of this issue let's use the KISS method.

Note: <setting id="videolibrary.updateonstartup" default="true">false</setting> in guisettings.xml will turn 'off' scanning on start.
Didn't have time to look into the "Matrix Crash Issue" for about a week or so, but tried to following:

- Reinstalled Kodi Leia, restored Library via a backup
- Removed the Trakt Add-On
- Disabled Update Library on startup
- Upgraded the Leia installation to Matrix

Kodi basically crashed on startup again, a few seconds after the menu appears.

- Removed guisettings.xml to force the default skin

Kodi still crashed on startup.

Not sure what component is causing the problem, but am going to attempt a full library rebuild again under the Matrix version.
Hopefully the crash stays gone this time.
Here is an update on my Kodi problems:
After completely rebuilding my Library again from scratch, and installing the minimum of plugins, I finally found the culprit of the problems.
It is, as suspected by some in this thread, the Trakt plugin.

It show some strange behaviour though:
- Kodi keeps working after the plugin is installed
- Kodi keeps working if it completed a partial "sync cycle"
- After all Trakt data is synchronised Kodi crashes upon startup, even if Trakt has only manually run once and it is not running on startup

Posting this here since this thread was still "open".
Maybe someone has encountered this before. Will also report this issue in the Trakt plugin topic.
(2021-03-17, 22:01)AgitoM Wrote: [ -> ]Will also report this issue in the Trakt plugin topic
Pure speculation; suspect might be a python issue.
(2021-03-18, 01:03)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-17, 22:01)AgitoM Wrote: [ -> ]Will also report this issue in the Trakt plugin topic
Pure speculation; suspect might be a python issue.

Yes, quite possibly speculation since I only described what I observed. Over at the Trakt topic they suspect the issue may be due to the dateutil library, so for now posted the issue in their GitHub.
-edit-

nevermind - it crashes again ...
(2021-03-21, 14:47)Romek_original Wrote: [ -> ]-edit-

nevermind - it crashes again ...

Hi Romek_original. Saw you edited your post, but read the original content in the email notification. Initially I attempted upgrade Leia to Matrix. When that didn't work I did a completely clean install using the Matrix installer. Re-used not a single part of my previous installation. Basically painstackingly rebuild my whole library in the process. Like you describe, it resulted in a crash 10 - 15 seconds in. 
Anyway, I'm in a way pleased to see I'm not the only one with the issue. I'm therefore hopeful that it eventually will be fixed.

Should you find out anything new, please do let me know. :-)
did you change to another skin or installed any addons after fresh/clean installation? Because for me its working now - reinstalled kodi 19 and installed only addons: "Backup" & "Library Node Editor" with default skin. Works without any problems.

BUT when i install the skin "Arctic Zephir 2 Mod reloaded" over this (skin works without any problems on windows 10 pc in matrix 19) and configure some widgets than i get this crashes on android (Nvidia shield) - i guess it is using some media info addons for providing data for widgets
(2021-03-21, 21:35)Romek_original Wrote: [ -> ]did you change to another skin or installed any addons after fresh/clean installation? Because for me its working now - reinstalled kodi 19 and installed only addons: "Backup" & "Library Node Editor" with default skin. Works without any problems.

BUT when i install the skin "Arctic Zephir 2 Mod reloaded" over this (skin works without any problems on windows 10 pc in matrix 19) and configure some widgets than i get this crashes on android (Nvidia shield) - i guess it is using some media info addons for providing data for widgets

One of the first things I tried was switching to the default skin after the crash occurred. It didn't help. The crash still happened.
What I can, and will, try though, is switch to default skin, run Trakt (after Trakt sync the crash occurs), and see if it still happens.
(2021-03-21, 22:37)AgitoM Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-21, 21:35)Romek_original Wrote: [ -> ]did you change to another skin or installed any addons after fresh/clean installation? Because for me its working now - reinstalled kodi 19 and installed only addons: "Backup" & "Library Node Editor" with default skin. Works without any problems.

One of the first things I tried was switching to the default skin after the crash occurred. It didn't help. The crash still happened.
What I can, and will, try though, is switch to default skin, run Trakt (after Trakt sync the crash occurs), and see if it still happens.
trakt has issues atm with syncing tv-shows. i did read some sides in the trakt thread and it looks like people with nfo files have this issue - but not everyone. trakt does not crahs my installation on start up but when i sync complete library than it works fine for movies but it freeze and stuck forever at 190/214 for tv-shows.

well, im no coder and have no clue how to fix anything. so all i can do is waiting for the Profis to solve this Smile
Pages: 1 2