Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi v19 crashes on Sony Bravia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After updating to version 19.0 Kodi stopped working. When I try to open it, it tries its best, and then closes down - looks like crashing to me.
Note, this is on a TV, so I can't set up some environment variables or adjust command-line arguments :-)
(2021-02-28, 18:44)mc0re Wrote: [ -> ]After updating to version 19.0 Kodi stopped working. When I try to open it, it tries its best, and then closes down - looks like crashing to me.
Note, this is on a TV, so I can't set up some environment variables or adjust command-line arguments :-)

Yep...this is happening to me as well.  Sony X900h latest firmware.  Since the upgrade to 19.0, it crashes (goes back to android TV home screen) immediately after trying to launch it.  I've tried clearing the app cache, same result.

I even went as far enough to force stop / clear data / uninstall, and then reinstall.  I had no backup, so I started from scratch - I setup two of my most used video sources (~100 UHD movies to a ubuntu 20.04 samba file server) and it was working fine for about a day... and then the next day after a TV reboot, it was back doing the same thing again - crashing / returning me back to the android TV home screen as soon as I launched it.

I reverted back to kodi 18.9.   Downloaded the APK directly from kodi.tv/releases and side loaded it, and disabled google play store app updating.   Again, as I had no backup, I re-setup all my video sources and its been working fine since.

Definately something wonky in 19.0
EDIT: Ahh.. looks like my problem might be this -
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=352405

Same.. Sony KD-55X9000F running Android TV 9.

Kodi 18.x working fine for ages - move to 19 and it stopped working the moment I try to play video.

It was a pain to get the kodi.log file out - in the end I used X-Plore to move it from temp to userdata folder, then Kodi's own File manager to move it from TV to media server NFS share (because Sony refuses to write to USB storage by design).

I have a media server that provides a MySQL 8.0.23 metadata DB, and NFSv4 file shares (no authentication required on LAN).
Kodi saw the existing sources, recognised the advancedsettings.xml, migrated the database and shows files (Browsing Videos -> Files).
However, whenever I try to launch ANY video, Kodi crashes.
Fearing I'd hit some Python 3 incompatibilities, I wiped Kodi's storage and then set it up with just the basics (sources.xml, advancedsettings.xml).

Still happens!

Is it possible to turn up the logging detail within the Kodi UI?

https://paste.kodi.tv/orebejuxox.kodi

(I am wondering if there's some interaction going on between MySQL 8 which recently happened, and Kodi trying to upgrade)
(2021-03-06, 09:12)ADFHogan Wrote: [ -> ] (because Sony refuses to write to USB storage by design).

by design, that was working fine with introduction of Android TV. But they broke it with MM. And it was broken for a very loooong time. Then pie came out and my XG95 suddenly feels a lot smarter that it was. KODI can't write outside of it's own folder but other file managers can.
Also, Matrix was never showing those symptoms on my XG95. Files are on ubuntu server but db is on the TV.
(2021-03-06, 15:22)kinggo Wrote: [ -> ]Files are on ubuntu server but db is on the TV
Keeping the database on the ubuntu machine via MySQL/MariaDB will unload your TV even more, and also serves other Kodi clients.
(2021-02-28, 18:44)mc0re Wrote: [ -> ]After updating to version 19.0 Kodi stopped working. When I try to open it, it tries its best, and then closes down - looks like crashing to me.
Hi Totally new to Kodi
I was happily using 18.9 Leia and then Kodi automatically updated to 19.0 Matrix and nothing worked. I uninstalled Kodi and reinstalled form kdoi.tv website which installed 19.o again. when I tried to do anything I get the message kodi has stopped working. Totally stumped as to what to do. I am really useless and dont know what to do.
Terry
Yeah, Kodi 19 crashes on my Bravia 49XF9005 within a few seconds of running the app as well. 

If I manually side load Kodi 18.9 will it still try to auto update to 19 if I leave auto update apps on? Or do I have to turn off auto update to avoid risking it? 

Thanks
If you leave auto-update enabled, the TV will try to update the app.

Presuming this is coming from the Play Store, then it will download and go to Matrix again. The version you download from our mirrors is the same as the one in the Play Store, with the same app ID.
Ok, thanks, I'll disable it then, thanks
Guys, use the: 18.9 f-droid build from here : https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.xbmc.kodi/

This is a resigned apk so play store doesn't auto update it also when auto updates are on.

This way, you can stick at 18.9 and have all app updates to all your other apps (Netflix,...).

Running this on my two philips.

Good luck

PS: to team kodi : is there a android maintainer? Read somewhere that there is currently no maintainer. Don't get me wrong, kodi is a nice piece of software and all of you does this in your spare time! but I have the feeling that android support is not so good like on other os's.
(2021-03-25, 22:22)popy Wrote: [ -> ]is there a android maintainer?

At present, no there isn't.
Ok, that's sad. Anyway, thank you for the info.
(2021-03-25, 22:22)popy Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, use the: 18.9 f-droid build from here : https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.xbmc.kodi/

This is a resigned apk so play store doesn't auto update it also when auto updates are on.

This way, you can stick at 18.9 and have all app updates to all your other apps (Netflix,...).

Running this on my two philips.

Good luck
Awesome, thanks for this, I've installed it on my Bravia and also my Humax Aura so hopefully I can use Kodi again on both!
Youre welcome [emoji846]
Pages: 1 2