Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi using dummy monitor #1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, hopefully someone can help me with this small but annoying problem.

My setup:
Kodi v19.0
Windows 10 20H2
i3-8100 in a MSI B360M-gaming plus
AMD RX580 using latest (20.11.2) drivers
8GB ram

My HTPC is connected to a LG tv and boots up automatically at 7am with kodi starting up automatically as well. The TV is turned on manually later in the day. Kodi can't detect a monitor (because it's off, obviously) and defaults to 640x480. I fixed this in the past on a different video card (GTX 750ti) by editing some entries in the registry to change the simulated resolutions to 1920x1080. For some reason, this doesn't work on this video card and I can't find a way to fix it. This isn't the biggest problem since I can just restart Kodi after the TV is on, but it is annoying. Kodi works perfectly fine other than this minor problem. Also tried the pin 19 trick, it did nothing.

My log: https://paste.kodi.tv/odonerezec.kodi

Any help is much appreciated Blush
(2021-03-01, 10:16)DearToy Wrote: [ -> ]The TV is turned on manually later in the day.

Because of that (although I have no idea what the state of conscience TVs these days are in when they are on standby), your Kodi pc cannot do the HDMI handshake and figure out what screen resolution to initiate. Something that could perhaps be fixed with a EDID export, although I'm not sure how that's done on a Windows machine (I'm a Linux dude). Someone else could maybe step in here?
By my read (and I have to admit I'm not an expert) something has created a display on your system called "Dummy monitor". It's not Kodi and "monitor" is not terminology that Microsoft tends to use. It might be being created by some remote access software or maybe something that allows you to share screens across devices? If I'm right Windows is defaulting to the only display device it has available - which makes sense.

I'd check your device list (Windows-X / Device manager) and see if it's there. If it is, its properties might give you a clue where it's come from and maybe a way to change its size. In any case, you could disable it and see if anything complains.

From your email, I think you know how to resolve the issue if a dummy device doesn't get in the way but, just in case, here's a link: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322907

Andy
(2021-03-01, 15:16)AndyHenderson Wrote: [ -> ]By my read (and I have to admit I'm not an expert) something has created a display on your system called "Dummy monitor". It's not Kodi and "monitor" is not terminology that Microsoft tends to use. It might be being created by some remote access software or maybe something that allows you to share screens across devices? If I'm right Windows is defaulting to the only display device it has available - which makes sense.

I'd check your device list (Windows-X / Device manager) and see if it's there. If it is, its properties might give you a clue where it's come from and maybe a way to change its size. In any case, you could disable it and see if anything complains.

From your email, I think you know how to resolve the issue if a dummy device doesn't get in the way but, just in case, here's a link: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322907

Andy
My best guess is that dummy monitor is a placeholder for when Windows can't detect any display, which defaults to 640x480. The fix in your link used to work on my old video card but doesn't on this new one unfortunately, unless there's another entry I've missed somewhere.

Another thought I had, would one of those display emulator plugs potentially fix this? Although I only have one HDMI port so it'd have to be a displayport plug, don't know if that'd cause any problems.
(2021-03-01, 16:06)DearToy Wrote: [ -> ]My best guess is that dummy monitor is a placeholder for when Windows can't detect any display, which defaults to 640x480. The fix in your link used to work on my old video card but doesn't on this new one unfortunately, unless there's another entry I've missed somewhere.

Another thought I had, would one of those display emulator plugs potentially fix this? Although I only have one HDMI port so it'd have to be a displayport plug, don't know if that'd cause any problems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. My HTPC routinely fires up without my TV on and I've never seen a reference to a dummy monitor. And, like I said, that's not common Windows terminology. Could it be something your new display driver is doing?

I don't know about display emulator plugs but the HDCP stuff is designed to prevent anything sitting between your HDMI out and your TV. Maybe HDCP is easy to by-pass these days, but I don't know.

Andy
Nevermind, worked around the problem by just using sleep/wake so kodi is always running. Not sure why I didn't do this to begin with, could have saved myself a lot of stress.

Thanks though, guess we'll never find out what the dummy monitor was. Tongue