Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Downgrade to 18.9 on nVidia Shield?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing the same problems as everyone else: This morning Kodi was upgraded to 19.0 on my nvidia shield and now none of my SMB linked folders are working. I have seen the advice about chanbing the Min SMB version from "0" to "1". My device was already configured as Min1 and Max3. Also, I'm not really interested in setting up a password on my PC just to satisfy Kodi.

Everything was working perfectly for me with Version 18.9 and I was perfectly happy.

Can anyone guide me or point to a guide or video that would show me how to downgrade my nVidia Shield to version 18.9? I have the 2019 version of the Shield.

Thanks.
you have to find out for yourself how to uninstall an app on the shield. most of the time this is done via the menu key, and then on uninstall.

you can download kodi 18.9 here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/...bi-v7a.apk

kodi installation on the shield via sideload -> ask google...
Using adbLink connect to your device.
Select Uninstall APK, select org.xbmc.kodi - making sure to tick -k (keep app data) - and uninstall it.
Reboot your device.
Reconnect adbLink, select Install APK and select the downloaded version of Kodi you want to install.
If you want to keep your Shield set to auto-update apps than you'll need to install an alternative version of Kodi 18.9.
If you install the version from the main Kodi repository it will just try to update to Kodi 19 again. I installed the 32 bit F-Droid version of Kodi 18.9 on my 2019 Shield Pro instead, in spite of some people saying the Shiled Pro will only accept a 64 bit version. This allows me to leave the Shield set to auto-update all installed apps but because it doesn't associate the F-Droid Kodi with the main Kodi the Shield will not auto-update your F-Droid Kodi. When you run F-Droid Kodi you may find it occasionally puts up a message telling you that a newer version is available but it doesn't force the update and on my Shield it's only displayed the message once so far. This trick has allowed me to continue using my favourite Transparency skin, which is not compatible with Kodi 19, until such time as Google block the use of Kodi 18.9 (if they ever do).

JB
Thanks for the replies, everyone! It was a hectic day so I just now got the chance to look at the thread.

So...I solved my issue. I gave it some thought and decided that before I did the downgrade I would try an idea. I didn't want to add a password to my own Windows 10 login so I decided to create another user. Using the Computer Management snap-in, I created another user called Kodi and assigned it a password.

I went back to my nViidia Shield Pro and added the network path to my media sources. I used my newly created Kodi user credentials and it worked. Some people noted that they had to switch from using the computer name to using an IP address but I did not have that issue. unfortunately, I could not modify my existing sources for some reason. Perhaps I just couldn't figure it out. In the end, it was quicker and easier to create a new path with login credentials. I did have to clean up and rescan my library though, which isn't a big deal for me as I only have about 75 movies and the rest are digitized home videos.

This solution may not work for some people who have NAS drives or other devices but it work for me and my Windows 10 PC.

Thanks again for the advice. I was ready to downgrade if my idea didn't work!

Viken
(2021-03-02, 20:15)vikenk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing the same problems as everyone else: This morning Kodi was upgraded to 19.0 on my nvidia shield and now none of my SMB linked folders are working. I have seen the advice about chanbing the Min SMB version from "0" to "1". My device was already configured as Min1 and Max3. Also, I'm not really interested in setting up a password on my PC just to satisfy Kodi.

Everything was working perfectly for me with Version 18.9 and I was perfectly happy.

Can anyone guide me or point to a guide or video that would show me how to downgrade my nVidia Shield to version 18.9? I have the 2019 version of the Shield.

Thanks.
I had the same problem, but a fellow member pointed out that when you set up your SMB folder...mines is setup as PLEX-SERVER then you have to put a single empty space in both the username and password and it should add the SMB network drive easily then...from there you can point kodi to your media folders on the drive
(2021-03-09, 21:38)TRON29 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-02, 20:15)vikenk Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

Thanks.
I had the same problem, but a fellow member pointed out that when you set up your SMB folder...mines is setup as PLEX-SERVER then you have to put a single empty space in both the username and password and it should add the SMB network drive easily then...from there you can point kodi to your media folders on the drive
Kodi keeps changing my mounted drive's name and breaks my network access from other sources. How do I go back to Kodi 18.9 on an Nvidia Shield. I downloaded the 18.9 file, but I can't open it for some reason. This sucks.
This still works 9th April 2024 just rolled back to 20.5 from 21 on shield. Follow instruction to install on adbLink website. Thanks Hitcher for your helpful post