Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows HDR and Kodi 19
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday while watching a video using the Windows store release of Kodi 19, Kodi shut down (crashed) and totally turned off my Kodi monitor.  I couldn't get the monitor to come back alive.  I've not experienced anything like this in the last year with Kodi 18.  I was forced to unplug the display and set it up again.  It somehow broke HDR also but after a few hours, HDR like woke up again.  It might be related to a recent windows update also because now, all my monitors appear the same size in the display settings, they have never been that way before.  Also, when launching Kodi the first time after a reboot, with HDR on, the Kodi background appears washed out.  After launching a video, all the monitors go black and then wake back up and the Kodi screen is no longer washed out.  From this point on, the Kodi background is no longer washed out.  Until a reboot of course and the process starts all over again.  I see Netflix store version doing something similar from time to time on the HDR screen, blanking all the monitors when a video starts.  Nvidia driver issue?  Windows 10 issue?  Haven't really been able to nail down exactly where the issue is or if this is even an issue, it's more of a new surprise.
I see an HDR setting in Kodi now.  With it enabled.  When I start non HDR content, Kodi turns off the monitors HDR setting, all monitors go blank, all monitors are set to 2K also.  This is why they all appear to be the same size.  

I turn off Kodi's HDR support in the player options and this seems to have resolved this for the time being

I think something is wrong with the HDR implementation
Your 1st mistake is having Windows HDR engaged all the time.  Kodi will only turn it on when HDR is in use.  After playback, it will disengage.  Fwiw, Kodi HDR works very well for myself and others.  I'm not using the Windows store version though but I doubt it makes any difference.  That said, I could be wrong.  As you see in my signature, everything I use is up to date.  It's not drivers, or Windows, or a Kodi problem.  It's how you've got things setup for yourself - starting with Windows HDR engaged at all times imo.
This may be true but does not explain why all my monitors resize when Kodi shuts down HDR.  This does not happen when I tick the HDR slider manually.
Probably how you've got all your monitors setup.  You've got them set to 2k and wondering why you're having problems with 4k HDR sources.
Nope, my HDR is 4k native set to 4k  primary is 4k also.  Latest issue is Kodi caused my primary display to turn red-ish as if the night mode is on.  Something is up with V19, it's messing up my PC now
Why are people so quick to blame kodi is at fault, you seem to have a very unique setup trying to use multiple HDR monitors, I use kodi as what it is meant for a media playback device so I have no desire or need for anything more than my TV, and it has worked flawless for many many months now

If monitors are connected they will all need to refresh and windows cannot tell which screen it shouldn’t refresh as its being told to turn off HDR so all monitors need to refresh to that new signal

As a test disconnect all monitors except primary and see how it behaves then

Starting kodi with HDR enable will make it washed out as kodi itself is not HDR only play back is HDR which is why it auto turns on and off when playing HDR content, Jogal did some tone mapping magic that when movie is playing kodi won’t looked washed out but impossible and unneeded to have Kodi full HDR all the time

You could also be at a bandwidth limit on graphic card and such as I doubt any are certified for multiple full fat HDR outputs.
You have also stated it does the same with Netflix so how can this be Kodi’s fault?, again you need to look at your setup and how your trying to use it. HDR on windows is still relatively new and should never be used as a permanent setting only for games and movies
do you have 4k modes whitelisted in kodi?